Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have experience with Kevin's Turbo's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM
adegraeve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have experience with Kevin's Turbo's?

I was wondering if any of you had your turbo's modified and/or rebuild by Kevin and what your personal experiences were?

I have been talking to him and contemplating the possibility. (even though I just dropped my engine and put it back with all the mods !!!!). Kevin comes across as an extremely knowledgeable guy when it comes to Turbo's. Me on the other hand, I would just like to understand the benefits, if any in layman terms

Alain
Old 04-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Chris Bloch
7th Gear

I just did my turbo's this winter with Kevin, and am very happy. I did the hybrid thing k16/24. Kevin really knows what he is doing. I bought the car last fall and drove it about 1,000 miles. It ran like alot of stock cars that I read about in this list. It came on the boost, then the power dropped off noticably then came on just a bit before redline. It felt like the knock control was messing with it, it felt fast but like something was not right. I did the cat bypass, and kevins turbo's, have alot of other mods planned but wanted to do them in stages to see what the results were. With Kevins turbos the car is transformed. It still comes on the boost at nice low rpms, but when it hits it hits hard, and just stays there and seems to build power all the way to the rev limiter. First gear is unusable, just spins the tires, and second gear half the time it will light the tires and spin when the boost first comes on. I am very happy with the results, Kevin has been very patient with me, and had some good advise on some of other mods that I am planning. I got a adjustable fuel pressure regulator from him also, and a large oil cooler, and the car is lowered. These are the only mods, the boost is still stock. I am planning the engine management upgrade, and turning up the boost here shortly. Bottom line, Kevin knows what he is doing and you should be happy with the results.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:18 AM
adegraeve
Instructor

what about the driving experience? Not being able to use 1st gear does not seem very practical. Spinning tires that easily would certainly be a concern on wet steets.

alain
Old 04-20-2004, 12:51 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh aren't you supposed to do the ecu when you do the turbos? I know if you don't with k24's it doesn't run right. I would think that would be a problem.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Chris is running stock boost levels.. Fuel is being applied to the stock map. Tire spinning is a bonus!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're in the boost in first gear on a wet street, you deserve to wreck your car-discipline, discipline!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Kevin on a regular basis for all of my turbocharger projects. I also have been using my car as a test bed for some of his newer technologies. He is truly an engineer and pays attention to detail. Unlike most turbo rebuild shops Kevin produces a superior product with superior support. Not many people are aware, but he has strong connectins with the turbo manufacturer's directly and shares in development.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:55 PM
hatchy
Racer

Any before and after dynos? I'd like to understand Kevin's magic a little better.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin, Could you please give some idea of cost for hybrid k16. Do you modify the turbo's already on the car? What hp might be expected with upgraded intercooler(which do you prefer) as well as who do you suggest to modify the ECU.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:16 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I'm curious about the cars that break traction. Why do you think the tires break loose in first and second so easily?
I have K24s, no cats, Tech EFX muffs, LWF, FVD ECU, 5 bar FPR, Andial Intercooler, Cargraphic Oil cooler and a Bilstein suspension,etc etc., and, from a rolling start, my car never breaks traction unless I hit some dust or sand or the road is wet. (Obviously I NEVER dump the clutch.)
It would seem to me that you guys must have beaucoup more torque than my setup. I'm jealous!
Now, on the nasty slick little uphill hairpin on Decker Canyon, I can spin all 4 till the cows come home, but heck, I learned that trick from following a Boxster one day.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:27 AM
adegraeve
Instructor

Scott,

My car seems to have the same set up as yours and I don't ever break traction either. Can't say that i would like to break traction. Increased torque, on the other hand, would love it.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:04 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Haven't used Kevins turbos but he was kind enough to refer to me as a gentleman in a previous tread. The K24 will make max 520 HP. I've dyno'd them with a lot of upgrades and thats it. Alwin Springer of Porsche Motorsports will agree. So if you want more Hp that is useable you need to get the GT1 (K16s). If you want to show your dyno sheets to your buddies on the Supra forum, get the K26's, you can dyno 650 hp, with throttle respone that starts tomorrow.

I do a lot of track events so I want response coming out of the corners. Spool up is critical, especially if your racing Vipers, I hate Vipers so I need to be on boost as early as possible. I have no problem with the K16. If I need an upgrade, Kevins units look like the way to go.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:58 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

For some reason when I try to launch the car these days I get a lorra smoke from my tires after putting in Kevin's turbos

Must be the extra torque I've had 'em for a while and I have to say they're fricking awesome. I've got more down low and up top then before and with the ZC stuff, I just have less lag than I ever did. There are some videos of the car launching and you can see what I'm saying:

http://www.racingflix.com/featuredride.asp

I have been known to do AWD burnouts
I can vouch that Kevin knows his turbos.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:59 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

While I do not currently have Kevin's technology under the hood I know of others who would go to no one else for anything related to turbo's. I have stock k24's with the associated mods and GIAC ECU. My next turbo mod will be with Kevin without a doubt.

Scott,

My car does not dyno with awesome numbers just average and I can break traction easily in 1, 2 and have seen 3 a time or two. I don't drop the clutch at all just tromp on the throttle. I do have a new clutch in the car and before that was installed I could feel it slip a bit. FWIW.

The comment about first being unusable is IMO not meant literally. You can modulate throttle application easily and with practice (quickness) 1 to 2 is fast but it is on a stock car too.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Hmmmmmmmm.
I have a pair of stock turbo's in a box in the garage........
Am I to understand that a set of ZC modded K16s would be preferable to a set of ZC modded K24s?
Would I be able to just plug and play with my existing FVD ecu?
Kevin?
NO!, ...must.... resist..... arrrggghh.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have experience with Kevin's Turbo's?