Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do any of you guys use a strut brace on your 993 or on your cabriolet???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do any of you guys use a strut brace on your 993 or on your cabriolet???

I have been considering one to increase structural rigidity for my cab as well as tighten up high speed cornering.

Do any of you guys use them, and if so which ones do you prefer? I have seen the one at Performance Products (no affiliation) and I like it, but is it the best, or should I get a different one, or should I get one at all? Here is the one I have seen:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...producttype=20

Thanks for your help.
Robert
Old 10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert,

I have a strut brace and a roll bar in my Cabriolet. IMO, the roll bar made a bigger difference in terms of stiffening up the car, but I would recommend installing both.

It has been so long since I installed the strut brace that I don't remember which one I bought, so I can't help you there.

My roll bar is a Tech-Art, but there are many less expensive ones available that are just as good. Just make sure the one you get (if you get one) has a 6 point mounting setup.

Dave
Old 10-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a Porsche strut brace on my coupe, purchased when I used my PCA coupon. I think the price was about $250. Works fine, I suppose, but I can't tell that it's there.

If you drive hard, the brace is a necessity to keep things nice and tight. I think engineers call it triangulation.

<<EDIT>> I bought the strut bar almost immediately after I got the car and never got a chance to really toss the car on the track or street without the bar. So, no A/B comparison for me.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 10-15-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:17 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have the Porsche strut brace and did notice a difference in cornering crispness.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have both a strut brace and roll bar for my cab. I agree that the roll bar made a bigger difference (mine is DAS). My strut bar is from Performance Products.

For most of us, I don't think the make/model of the strut brace matters much - I consider them equivalent and go by price. This would not be true for a very skilled driver or highly tuned race car, but that's not most of us mortals.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:03 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, the strut bar, if it makes any difference at all, I can't notice. You may want to consider which one goes above the carpet, under the carpet, required cutting the carpet and one that doesn't. Mine is oem for $230 and goes under the carpet without cutting.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

I noticed a difference. Seemed to turn in better.

BIG WARNING: be very careful installing it. the bolts can strip very easily. my mechanic said torque to only 18 pounds.

Mine didn't strip when I installed it, but many others have posted about problems.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

D.G. - Why do you say get the six point mounting set up? The ones I am finding are four point and the people that have them say they have been told that it is better to only disturtb four of the six bolts at the same time. In other words, use a four point, not a six. What gives?!?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:10 PM
kary993
Drifting

I have had one for the last 4 years so I have become accustom to it. When I ride in or instruct (drive) other 993's with a brace I notice that they are not quite as responsive at turn in and throughout the corner as with one. This goes for street but definitely on the track. It is a relatively inexpensive part and easy to install yourself. I think it is worth it.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

After I spent $250 on the GT2 strut brace I am forcing myself to notice a positive difference; whether it exists or not.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tracked my car three weekends before installing a strut brace. I noticed a big difference afterwards.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what's the concensus guys, four bolt mount or six?? For those of you with the PORSCHE OEM unit, is it four bolt or six bolt mount?

Thanks
Robert
Old 10-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

do any of you guys with the OEM Porsche unit have any pics of it so I can see it and how it is mounted?

Thanks
Robert
Old 10-15-2003, 07:39 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Robert,

I'm not quite sure what they are referring to.

I wish I had pictures, but I don't, so I will try to describe the TechArt roll bar.

The roll bar consists of 3 pieces: a large upside down U shape tube that goes from floor board to floor board, and two braces that go from the roll bar down to the rear seat belt mounting points. All of the pieces are built like a brick $hit-house, and are covered with padding and vinyl. (Leather optional.)

The roll bar mounts at the following points:

1,2 - front seat belt anchor near floor board (1 on each side),
3,4 - shoulder belt guide loop (1 on each side)
5,6 - rear seat belt anchor (1 on each side)

The inverted U shaped bar connects to the car at 4 points (1,2,3,4) , and effectively joins the sides of the car together in an O shape instead of a U shape, and provides the stiffness that is otherwise lacking in a Cabriolet. There is a large plate at each floorboard mounting point that follows the contour of the side AND floor of the car. You could easily reinforce this mounting point for serious track use.

The braces connect to the car at points 5,6.

I don't believe that a roll bar that doesn't go all of the way down to the floor board on each side would provide the same amount of rigidity that this one does.

If you are concerned about safety, the TechArt unit is approved by both the US and European (much more stringent) safety agencies, and according to the customer service at TechArt, could be ordered FACTORY installed by Porsche.

I am not aware of any of the 4 point units that have these safety ratings.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Four-point mounting would be like the DAS roll bar that I have. It has plates that mount both ends to the floor on each side (three bolts per side) and then there are two points that attach to the rear seatbelt hardpoints. The DAS bar is approved by PCA and other groups for use in track events. I do not believe it is any less safe than the Tech Art bar described above.

I think Robert may be confused between he mounting points for the roll bar and the number of bolts for the strut brace. I've never seen a strut brace that uses more than 4 bolts (two on each side).

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys use a strut brace on your 993 or on your cabriolet???