Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Singer discussion with Jay Leno

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

This car is not for those who have a list of cars they want, it is for those who have a list of cars they own.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

For that kind of money I would ship my 993 to the Ruf factory for a restoration/conversion.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,421 Likes on 821 Posts

I think they look awesome and probably drive great. That said, what the hell with the price tag.

Why in gods name do they need a $30k custom harness. Its as though the standard harness on a 964 is so full of problems that it just couldn't be used? Same goes for a lot of other stuff. Its custom for custom's sake and the pricetag just makes it silly.

You can recreate the driving experience of a singer for 1/4 of the price, although you may have to make do without aircraft quality soundproofing.

I hate magnus walker, but his cars at least are more interesting to me.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is gorgeous!!
I can only imagine how much fun it would be to drive.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Why in gods name do they need a $30k custom harness. Its as though the standard harness on a 964 is so full of problems that it just couldn't be used? Same goes for a lot of other stuff. Its custom for custom's sake and the pricetag just makes it silly.

The engine and control unit require a custom harness. 30k for that work had to be an exaggeration in the other video, even using mil spec components.

I don't see a huge margin in these cars considering all the low production fabrication. I'll bet the motor builder is getting the lions share of that 350k.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me a well executed modern, retro looking piece of art - very capable!
I get the hype, not the buck.

Mike - how many Pm's you got?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S

The engine and control unit require a custom harness. 30k for that work had to be an exaggeration in the other video, even using mil spec components.

I don't see a huge margin in these cars considering all the low production fabrication. I'll bet the motor builder is getting the lions share of that 350k.
Is it a motec? To do parts of the harness custom is fine. They quote $30k. If thats accurate or not, who knows.

Again, Cosworth is not the only shop that can build a decent motor. Send a 964 motor to Colin at 9m, and you likely end up with a similar package for $35k or so.

That leaves you $65k to do bodywork and some custom touches.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

The 4000 hours to build the car has to be BS unless their production techniques and planning suck. That is two people working 40 hours a week for a work year with 2 weeks vacation for each.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
The Singer is what a 911 should be: A stripped down, bare bones, unadulterated pure sports car.
If you study the Singers and what goes into them, calling them "stripped down" and "bare bones" is very far from the truth. The car has power steering, the car has ABS, the car has HVAC, the car has aircraft quality NVH insulation technology throughout, the car has quilted upholstery in the friggin' engine compartment and front tub.

The reason they've managed such a light curb weight is through their extensive use of carbon fiber in all bodywork, not by making the car "stripped down" and "bare bones."
Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it a motec? To do parts of the harness custom is fine. They quote $30k. If thats accurate or not, who knows.

Again, Cosworth is not the only shop that can build a decent motor. Send a 964 motor to Colin at 9m, and you likely end up with a similar package for $35k or so.

That leaves you $65k to do bodywork and some custom touches.
Some comments from P1CR aka Maz from SVD posted on the *964 subforum in regard to a similar Jay Leno Singer thread*.

Originally Posted by P1CR
Electrics: 18 months of development with Apex Racing and Motec engineers in order to develop a fully operable street car harness/PDMs that actually works consistently in all conditions. Just so happens its 20lbs lighter than standard, fully aerospace compliant, and will probably survive the apocalypse.

-Maz
and here are some links regarding Singer's engine development partners. It gives you a good idea of the amount of people involved in the development of the powerplant.

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/tuning-...e-dynos-matter

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/unveili...singer-porsche
Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

To quote from Apex

"The next step was to redesign the late 80′s engineered wiring harness to suit a 21st century electronics package. This involved building a full millitary-style custom wiring harness for the engine, lighting sub-assemblies and other details such as the adjustable wing and Becker entertainment system."

Boy, that sure SOUND bare-bones to me -- lol!

Ok, nice powerplant, but geeze man, Porsche already had 400+ HP from the old plant on the Turbo, and you can get that one up to 450 without too much work. 9M can do it too for what appears to be less money as well.

Now come the arguments on weight and lag - but I bet the Cosworth engine is quite peaky as well.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-29-2013, 03:47 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Send a 964 motor to Colin at 9m, and you likely end up with a similar package for $35k or so.
I used to work for a Porsche tuner on the same level as Cosworth, no way could I build a motor even close to that for under a hundred grand.

I'm guessing here.. Gt3 crank, ti rods, 3.8 bore in, 9m heads with the best of the best valves, springs/retainers, custom cams, custom headers/exhaust, individual throttle body's, gt3 intake plenum, Motec, harness work, tuning.... It couldn't be done for 35k.. $hit a motor mister rebuild would be half that.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Maybe that 4000 hours also includes R&D to develop new parts and production techniques?
I think you hit the mark right there, they have to make up for R&D costs which make sense for anybody understanding the manufacturing business. After all, it is a business at the end of the day here to make profit $.

Last edited by Knight; 12-29-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 PM
speyer911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dream business. Porsche's are so well built, buying one that has depreciated and restoring and modifying it you can easily end up with a super car. However seems to me if you want a 964 that is better looking and performs better you should just get a 993.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
I used to work for a Porsche tuner on the same level as Cosworth, no way could I build a motor even close to that for under a hundred grand.

I'm guessing here.. Gt3 crank, ti rods, 3.8 bore in, 9m heads with the best of the best valves, springs/retainers, custom cams, custom headers/exhaust, individual throttle body's, gt3 intake plenum, Motec, harness work, tuning.... It couldn't be done for 35k.. $hit a motor mister rebuild would be half that.
100k?

come on.

GT3 crank is about $2,000
P&C is about $6,000
Carrillo Rods=$1,000 (i don't think Ti is necessary)
Stuffed heads are like $12k
Cams=$2000
exhaust work=$2000
Intake $5,000
motec= $3,000
$1000, misc bolts and seals

Thats $34k

Sell stock crank $1000
Sell stock p&C $1000
Sell stock heads, stuff=$2k
sell stock intake/exhaust=$1700

Use the remaining $6,700 for the other stuff.

Now...according to Colin, you can make 364hp with just the head package:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=230720
Old 12-29-2013, 06:51 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Your calculations are off, I'm not going to spend the time to prove a point.

The ti rods are necessary to drop weight for that rpm range.
Call Gamroth ask him how much he wants for his slide valve throttle body's.

Quick Reply: OT: Singer discussion with Jay Leno