993 Forum 1995-1998

Tramont Cup heads up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by alps
Hi all. FYI, I am running a set of Tramont Cups on my RS. Fronts are 8.5x18 ET52, rears are 10x18 ET59. The car has a standard street setup with 225/265 PS Cups. The car had 285 rears when I got it. I haven't had any problems with rubbing or with the wheels in the 8 years I have had them.

One small issue is that the center opening is smaller than with OE Speedlines. I have a set of RS center caps which are too big for the Tramont opening. From what I have seen elsewhere, the wheels have less problems with corrosion than Speedlines and have held up well in appearance.
please clarify your comment above...are you referring to the opening for the center cap's? So, a standard Porsche center cap will...or will not fit?

Tramont does not include center caps with the wheels, and I assumed that standard Porsche crested center caps could be bought, color matched, and simply popped into place.

Another specific question for Tramont maybe
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

When I spoke to Tramont last year before deciding on the Veloce versions instead they told me the oem center caps fit perfectly. Maybe the issue with alps set is that 8 years ago that was not the case?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:32 AM
alps
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
please clarify your comment above...are you referring to the opening for the center cap's? So, a standard Porsche center cap will...or will not fit?

Tramont does not include center caps with the wheels, and I assumed that standard Porsche crested center caps could be bought, color matched, and simply popped into place.

Another specific question for Tramont maybe
I also have a set of Speedlines with RS center caps. However, the RS caps do not fit my Tramonts. Either the Speedline/RS cap opening is larger than other Porsche OE wheels, in which case a regular cap may fit, or the opening is smaller in which case a little trimming or another aftermarket source may be needed.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I deal with the center cap issues all the time not necessarily on the Tramont wheels, but the RH 3.6 Turbo wheels. It seems many of the old wheel centers have a center cap area that might not be as deep as a regular wheel center and/or the actual opening is a little smaller than a factory hole. What I do is hand fit each center cap before I paint the center caps. Sometimes the after market caps themselves are not sized exactly the right size and if the spacing around the cap to the wheel center is too large I will just put that set of caps aside and use them on another set of wheels with smaller than normal openings. Do yourself a favor and check before or you will have a cap that will not snap in or sit flush with the wheel face, so when you know this you will start to notice all the caps that do not fit on the wheel centers properly. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
Old 10-06-2013, 02:23 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

IIRC, this 9m93rs tribute is running Tramont's with RS caps ... nice inset barrels on the back :-)
Name:  9m93rsMaritimetramontwheelsleft_zps449fb835.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  147.2 KB
Name:  9m93rsMaritimeTramontwheelsrf_zpse702beb9.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  139.5 KB
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
IIRC, this 9m93rs tribute is running Tramont's with RS caps ... nice inset barrels on the back :-)

be a good question to the 9M boys...Tramont quality-any center cap issues-and what offset/width they're running on the tribute RS...for the NB folks interested in a set, and any clearence issues with Big Reds.

You got pull there JP, how about giving them a heads up on this thread...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
be a good question to the 9M boys.....for the NB folks interested in a set, and any clearence issues with Big Reds.

You got pull there JP, how about giving them a heads up on this thread...
Ha. As Mark Twain said ... 'Reports of my death have been GREATLY exaggerated .. "

.. but I'll 'give 'em a bell' and see if Colin or Marc know what's up ..

I'm pretty sure those are authentic big reds on this maritime blue car BTW ^^^ with the rear barrels so deeply inset, I'd bet those offsets are a bit different than the standard range for a narrow body of stock 65 to 55/56 with spacers which would be pushing it with no fender roll ..

Last edited by JPP; 10-06-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: clarification because i can be a bit ... huh .. obtuse
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would it be possible to supply Tramont a set of center caps to trial fit them at the factory prior to shipment?

I'm still sitting on the sidelines at the moment intently watching this thread for updates.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Ha. As Mark Twain said ... 'Reports of my death have been GREATLY exaggerated .. "

.. but I'll 'give 'em a bell' and see if Colin or Marc know what's up ..

I'm pretty sure those are authentic big reds on this maritime blue car BTW ^^^ with the rear barrels so deeply inset, I'd bet those offsets are a bit different than the standard range for a narrow body of stock 65 to 55/56 with spacers which would be pushing it with no fender roll ..
And I wonder how I get sucked into these threads.....

First of all, the blue car is a RHD 9m93RS CS which was 100% based on a genuine LHD 993RS donor, hence it is not a "tribute" or "replica", it is the real deal in all senses. With that minor detail cleared up, the Tramont wheels that are on the car were spares fitted to the original LHD RS, they ran stock centre caps and fitted with nice offsets. Unfortunately because we did not supply the wheels I have no record of the offsets or sizes, however as/when the car comes back in I would be happy to measure them and report back. OK?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NineMeister
And I wonder how I get sucked into these threads.....
First of all, the blue car is a RHD 9m93RS CS which was 100% based on a genuine LHD 993RS donor, hence it is not a "tribute" or "replica", it is the real deal in all senses. OK?
Oops. Is this gonna screw up my upcoming cannonization??
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Monday bump...up to 5 sets now, time is running down folks.

Also, Tramont does not accept credit cards, a credit transfer from your bank is needed to pay for the wheels. Exact details to follow.

Pricing has been consistent with all quotes so far, from Tramont.

Friday will be here before ya know it, ...so, who else is in?

email me your contact info please, if you want em
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Tuesday badda bump
Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

And now it's Wednesday.

Andreas
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
And now it's Wednesday NIGHT.

Andreas

fixed it for ya smart a$$
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

well...it's Thursday night folks-think term paper due tomorrow;prom tomorrow and ya still gotta get the tux/bouteneer(sp), etc

besides myself and Rudy-Opo, only two rennlisters have contacted me via email, and subsequently contacted Tramont-one still to be confirmed.

I will be sending Tramont an email tonite, to get the final details together.

Many have responded with interest to this thread, as well as to me via pm....but nothing else.

Well, it's time to $hit or get off the pot...

time to $hit or go sail...

or you'll be $hit outta luck.

I want to get these wheels into a production cycle by early next week. That means placing your order with Tramont, getting the invoice from them, and doing a credit transfer from your bank to them. that is certainly gonna take a few days to complete considering the time difference.

So, Tramont Cup wheelset for under $3000, shipping busines to business for about $400-East coast probably less, west coast probably more.

It's time folks, this "group buy" ship is ready to sail.

Quick Reply: Tramont Cup heads up...