993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014 | 12:04 PM
rossos2k
Advanced

can someone post a photo of access under car when on the lift? Id like to see what is blocked by the lift and what isnt.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014 | 01:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I'm with you on HF. No way am I getting under something being held up with HF equipment. I have a bench press from them. Quality is as expected but I can work with it for the limited use I need. A lift, stands etc are a different story.
HF model is now on sale for $1400.....they must of read this thread..lol
Old 02-20-2014 | 01:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have to admit that is rather nice. I went a different direction with a much more expensive bendpak that works nicely but doesn't have the nice cover you have. I can still drive over it as needed and has a little better center access but no extension arms. It will lift my chevy avalanche and Cayenne which is a nice plus.

Too bad I didn't know about this a few years ago.
Attached Images  

Last edited by cobalt; 02-20-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2014 | 02:18 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
HF model is now on sale for $1400.....they must of read this thread..lol
They were on sale for 1199 for ever. Now magically went up to 1800 retail, and on sale 1400. No way in hell anyone is paying this price when you can go Atlas or Bendpak. I doubt they invested several hundred $ on quality.
Old 02-20-2014 | 07:30 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default heres one

Here is my access.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2014 | 07:37 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

I think he meant a shot from underneath the car
Old 02-20-2014 | 08:02 PM
rossos2k
Advanced

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I think he meant a shot from underneath the car
Exactly.
Old 02-20-2014 | 08:13 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

sorry didn't take that one when it was up last.. hopefully will have one in a week or so but I'm guessing you may get one by then. I'll stay on this thread and post if needed.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 02-20-2014 | 11:00 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Rich- Did you dig a hole? Im still on the fence about a lift.
Nam- I didn't yet because I want to use it ASAP for my projects before Hershey, haha... But I intend to. I stopped by Home Depot and picked up some 2x12's, a few ramp kits and some gate handles to make some ramp platforms to drive up on (and ultimately to move out of the way when not in use or in the way)... Should do the trick for now. I'll post some pics soon
Old 02-20-2014 | 11:20 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RichPugh
Nam- I didn't yet because I want to use it ASAP for my projects before Hershey, haha... But I intend to. I stopped by Home Depot and picked up some 2x12's, a few ramp kits and some gate handles to make some ramp platforms to drive up on (and ultimately to move out of the way when not in use or in the way)... Should do the trick for now. I'll post some pics soon
Sounds great. Looking forward to some pics
Old 02-21-2014 | 07:15 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Sounds great. Looking forward to some pics
Here ya go... Getting it off the trailer wasnt easy but definitely could have been worse, haha. We were able to use some ramps and a hand truck to inch it back enough to jack it up and support it to drive the tailer out from under it.

Hydraulic line, power and lock release still need to be connected (and filled and stuff) but she clears with the arms and pads with two 2x12's. Took about an hour to put the ramps all together and they can simply (notice, I didnt say easily) be moved out of the way. I didnt permanently mount the 2x4 cross bars, but instead just put stud hangers on the inside of the stacked ramps so the 2x4's can just pop out and the ramps can be slid to the side. I have a set of 48" 2x4's for the 911's and will make a wider pair for my Expedition, LOL.

The garage is 26x30 but ceiling height is just shy of 8' so, we have about 40" of lifting clearance after up on the ramps. Excuse the clutter. One day, this garage will be epic. In the meantime, this'll do...

In this pic, the right ramp looks wonky but I think it's just cause the car is on it a bit off center. Those aluminum ramp kit pieces from Home Depot dont completely touch the ground but they bend down easily the 1/4" and work great!

Recessed concrete pit after the summer/fall.
Old 02-21-2014 | 07:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

In my first house with the lift, I used the cross beams, but they really aren't necessary. I'd recommend putting rubber pads (I used a woven rubber shelf liner from Boat US) under the planks, and they won't move.

You also want some S/S plates of 14 ga or thicker to go under the wheels, long enough for the travel. They will wear grooves in the concrete, if you don't.
Old 02-21-2014 | 07:30 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
In my first house with the lift, I used the cross beams, but they really aren't necessary. I'd recommend putting rubber pads (I used a woven rubber shelf liner from Boat US) under the planks, and they won't move.
The only reason I did the cross beams was to make it easy to space the ramps apart after pulling them out of the way. Like setting it up on the other side of the garage. They're not mounted permanently, more like a spacer just to keep the ramps parallel. They can pop out whenever I wanna do work there or when I wanna roll the engine out on a table I def wanna put some rubber liner or something under them too.

You also want some S/S plates of 14 ga or thicker to go under the wheels, long enough for the travel. They will wear grooves in the concrete, if you don't.
The dudes at Greg Smith Equipment said steel plates were really only necessary if we were using it on say asphalt or a less than perfectly hard, smooth surface. Good to know the concrete will wear so I'll grab some 12 or 14 ga plate stainless steel. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014 | 07:34 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Oh, P.S., FWIW, Including the 1/2 tank of gas it took to go pick the lift up in Newark, DE, I'm all in at $1,750 for the lift and all material to build the ramp setup and stuff (fluid, outlet, etc.) to get the lift up and running.
Old 02-21-2014 | 07:43 PM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

The two biggest additional uses I've found thus far for the lift beyond mechanical work on cars; working on lawn equipment / snow blowers and raising and lowering a car for easier access during polishing / waxing. I snagged a Miata a few weeks back on the cheap for me and the kids to AutoX, the youngest boy is currently as I type polishing what will eventually be his first car.

Quick Reply: Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift