Sponsored by:

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

please start a new thread for the chit-chat???????

As one who is actively searching for a lift for the new house, I occasionally troll this thread hoping to see that there is indeed a "group buy" in the offing.
Nope.

Thanks

Craig

Lol....Hope you have better luck than I had. I worked this crowd, the 996 and 928 sections along with multiple postings on the 986Forum and The Garage Journal board trying to generate interest for over 6 weeks......NADA. Lots of maybes and questions, no commitments though. In others defense pulling the trigger on such a project is not something to be rash about, but I figured with that kind of coverage I'd get a least a couple of "I'm in"s. If you are serious and want to purchase a lift do what I did, call Greg Smith directly and see what discount they'd offer if you walked in (assuming you are near a location) and paid green cash. Good Luck.......
Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I bought one when you tried to get interest! The guy at Greg Smith gave me a discount and since I picked it up, no shipping. Paid cash, had to request a receipt...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
Lol....Hope you have better luck than I had. I worked this crowd, the 996 and 928 sections along with multiple postings on the 986Forum and The Garage Journal board trying to generate interest for over 6 weeks......NADA. Lots of maybes and questions, no commitments though. In others defense pulling the trigger on such a project is not something to be rash about, but I figured with that kind of coverage I'd get a least a couple of "I'm in"s. If you are serious and want to purchase a lift do what I did, call Greg Smith directly and see what discount they'd offer if you walked in (assuming you are near a location) and paid green cash. Good Luck.......
Thanks,
no doubt that a fistful of Franklins typically makes for a smooth transaction.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Hey, I bought one when you tried to get interest! The guy at Greg Smith gave me a discount and since I picked it up, no shipping. Paid cash, had to request a receipt...
Sorry bout that lol, I forgot that you were pretty serious about pulling the trigger at the same time.

My above statement was more of a recommendation to be proactive and move forward with the purchase rather than waiting on others to decide, my attempts at generating interest in a group buy are obviously long gone.

At the end of the day this was a great project that has made working on various cars a lot more enjoyable, not too hurtful money-wise either imo. If nothing else this thread has shown others contemplating a lift a way to go about making it more convenient to use.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

For those wondering about it, I successfully installed a FD Motorsports Goldenrod in my 993 last weekend while it was up on the Scissor Lift. Yes a 2 post would of been easier without working around the lift framework but putting it up to max height and being able to sit directly under the car changing the rods out was much easier than Jack stands would of been.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

did you do the SSK also...or just the Golden Rod? That was on my winter to-do list also...already removed the bottom tunnel cover in anticipation. Constant bleeding of resources meant putting it off till next year. Just got the rubber for the new wheels...$$ to mount and balance too. Center caps coming tomorrow, then off to the local body shop to color match the caps to the wheels...more $$.

Also, taking the HB Sport seats in to be reconditioned tomorrow...more $$.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
did you do the SSK also...or just the Golden Rod? That was on my winter to-do list also...already removed the bottom tunnel cover in anticipation. Constant bleeding of resources meant putting it off till next year. Just got the rubber for the new wheels...$$ to mount and balance too. Center caps coming tomorrow, then off to the local body shop to color match the caps to the wheels...more $$.

Also, taking the HB Sport seats in to be reconditioned tomorrow...more $$.
I'll never forget that now laughable quote from me to the wife the day I pulled the 993 into the garage the first time...."Hun, that car is perfect the way it is, I'm not going to do anything to it" Well, you can guess what happened after that lol. My mods are few and subtle compared to many here but I'm still never going to ad up the receipts.

Joe, I only did the Goldenrod, really did not have an interest in the SSK. I'm sure many will say you have to do both to get the full effect which may be the case but the improved / more direct feel of the shifting that the GR provides is what I wanted. Not a night and day difference, but definitely a noticeable improvement.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM
rossos2k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well. I was able to use the lift to drop the motor out of my car without cutting anything. Was tight and I had to prop the trans up to get the gearbox output clear of the lift. If the rear bumper was off the car it would have been much easier.

The harbor freight table is garbage. Hydraulics worked just long enough to get the motor out of the car and now wont lift the table at all. I cant imagine the engine/trans weight is more than 1000lbs??

Old 03-17-2014, 01:48 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll never forget that now laughable quote from me to the wife the day I pulled the 993 into the garage the first time...."Hun, that car is perfect the way it is, I'm not going to do anything to it" Well, you can guess what happened after that lol. My mods are few and subtle compared to many here but I'm still never going to ad up the receipts. Joe, I only did the Goldenrod, really did not have an interest in the SSK. I'm sure many will say you have to do both to get the full effect which may be the case but the improved / more direct feel of the shifting that the GR provides is what I wanted. Not a night and day difference, but definitely a noticeable improvement.
This is what I said to my wife when I bought mine!

I am glad to know that I am not the only idiot.

+1 to not tallying up receipts! It's kind of like counting calories, fat and cholesterol after a great meal and much drink. Better left intangible.

--Michael
Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

rossos2k, how close did your HF lift (I have the same one...dreading how well it will work) get to the scissor lift itself? Do you have any pics of the HF lift under the car during removal to get an idea?

Also, what position were your lift arms in... all the way to the back to get as much of the car hanging off the rear as possible? Lastly did it seem light up front once lifted in that position before engine removal?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM
rossos2k
Advanced

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
rossos2k, how close did your HF lift (I have the same one...dreading how well it will work) get to the scissor lift itself? Do you have any pics of the HF lift under the car during removal to get an idea?

Also, what position were your lift arms in... all the way to the back to get as much of the car hanging off the rear as possible? Lastly did it seem light up front once lifted in that position before engine removal?

Thanks,
Bryan
The table was no where near the lift. imagine the table being the same size more or less as the motor. Trans hangs off the end of the table.

Lift arms were all the way back. Once the car was 2"-3" off the ground I lifted up on the front and leaned hard on the rear to see if there was any way the car would move. It wasnt any less stable then when the car is centered on the lift. I did keep the front wheels on the car for extra weight forward.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Great info. Thanks for posting. If you happen to have any pics or take them when the engine goes back in that would be good to see. What are the plans with the motor/car when out?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by rossos2k
t. If the rear bumper was off the car it would have been much easier.

The harbor freight table is garbage. Hydraulics worked just long enough to get the motor out of the car and now wont lift the table at all. I cant imagine the engine/trans weight is more than 1000lbs??

Did you bleed the system and top it off before using per the instructions?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
rossos2k
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobalt
Did you bleed the system and top it off before using per the instructions?
I did. Unfortunately the directions on the table itself are different from the owners manual.

It worked fine until it got some weight on it.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm sure many will say you have to do both to get the full effect which may be the case but the improved / more direct feel of the shifting that the GR provides is what I wanted.
I was after the same thing and did some refreshing of the stock shifter while I was in there, instead of going with the SSK.

It seems to be pretty uncommon refresh around here, but it was easy to replace the 2 plastic cup pieces from the forward rod and the 4 sliding shift sleeves. With brand new plastic pieces and fresh grease, the stock shifter action went from haphazard jerkiness to silky smooth.

Parts needed for this are:
964 424 115 01 x 4
928 116 145 03 x 2

Of course, I'll probably do the SSK anyway at some point. The slippery slope is just that strong.

Quick Reply: Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift