Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky

Jager
great pics as usual!
Them 'neuFuchs' *really* set your car off!
The larger sizing is especially complimentary of the Speedster shape, IMO...
yours makes me feel all kinda sorta funny 'down there', Garth Algar-like... 8-)
"Party on, Garth" ^^

Paul-- THANKS!
LUV your word - "neuFuchs" - perfect

Back-story:
A PCNA exec smitten by "Speedy" pulled strings to get her the world's first set of those Porsche OEM wheels (installed prior only on the factory's 250 limited edition Sport Classic 997s).
We both saw them as the fitting finish to Speedy's modern homage to the iconic WB '89 Speedsters, which featured Fuchs.

Regarding the 1st page's photo with Pete Stout, the judges at that event may have agreed with you, as Speedy brought home hardware at PCA's "Circle of Excellence" Concours d'Elegance:

More on topic: the RLer of the hour, Stout, with a mutual friend at the same Dana Point, CA, event (where he previously won 1st place in the 356 Club Concours' Outlaw class):

Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Pete spent most of the past two days meeting with PCA members in the Porsche Platz at the Petit Le Mans. As you can imagine, Pete is friends with many people, so it many ways, it was a reunion for him. He has been very nicely welcomed by our members.

Some people have asked about Excellence and quite frankly, I can't comment on that other than to say Pete left very professionally. A class act. However, now he's 100% Panorama and PCA. I always figured our members deserved the best. Now, our next target is the website.....
Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 AM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Panorama needs a HUGE shot in the arm, I might start reading it again.
Sonny1.

Last edited by sonny1; 10-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
Yes, Panorama needs a HUGE shot in the arm, I might start reading it again.
I always read Pano-maybe not cover to cover, but they have had some great articles here and there.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Pete spent most of the past two days meeting with PCA members in the Porsche Platz at the Petit Le Mans. As you can imagine, Pete is friends with many people, so it many ways, it was a reunion for him. He has been very nicely welcomed by our members.

Some people have asked about Excellence and quite frankly, I can't comment on that other than to say Pete left very professionally. A class act. However, now he's 100% Panorama and PCA. I always figured our members deserved the best. Now, our next target is the website.....
I thought I saw him there! Didn't have the opportunity to say hello. I did get to meet Pat Long though.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Hello Manny, saw you at the PCNA Tech session in CA last year but was too shy to say hello.

Maybe a downloadable version of Pano for Kindle/iPad etc. owners? Perhaps one could opt out of the paper version and save PCA postage and production costs...and change their status here with an online link...

Maybe DIY database of videos and or write ups on line by car model on line...

Maybe a virtual tour of the Porsche factory, Weissach and museum online...

Online submission of potential articles for Pano...

Online databases of different car models, people could document their ownership by VIN # and include past history. This would be a great theft deterrent...

Dare I mention an online forum like Rennlist?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Thanks, you guys, and to Manny and his team. Your encouragement and vote of confidence means a great deal to me.

I've been between real computers, so I've been off the forums over the last week. It was great to meet with PCA members and leadership at Petit Le Mans, and to see so many friends at Road Atlanta. Also very gratifying, personally, to see close friend (and regular test driver/writer) Johannes van Overbeek win the GT class. Yeah, he did it in an "off-brand" —but he's one of us, having gotten his start in PCA racing in a 914-6 before moving on to the professional ranks. He eventually became a founding principal of Flying Lizard, and won the factory's prestigious Porsche Cup. I just know him as Johannes, a quiet guy but one of the nicest in the sport. Not sure what the highlight of PLM was for me—there were so many—but watching him win was certainly one of them.

To answer the questions ventured here (and elsewhere): In taking the job with Panorama, yes, I had to move on from Excellence. It's not easy to leave something you've put a lot of love into for 15 years, but it was time for a new challenge—and I saw a great opportunity with PCA. In today's media landscape, the club's commitment to varied forms of media and its solid financial foundation were highly appealing.

I'm excited about what's ahead, but also recognize there's going to be a lot of work to get to where we're looking to go. So while we're still charting a course, I'm leaning toward evolution rather than revolution. Panorama has a long and storied history, and I want to ensure that its best days are yet to come. I've asked for input from club members, the Executive Council, contributors, and other media partners and mentors like Jeff Zwart, and the course will be affected by all of it.

I've been thankful to have such a thoughtful, intelligent, and passionate readership all these years, and will do my best to do right by it going forward.

Cheers,

pete
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Mr.Stout,
If you can get anywhere near "Excellence" then you have success.
And I have no doubt that you will make it happen!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Manny Alban for president! Oh, wait...Manny, you need to change your sig.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Mark ^^ same thing I was thinking.
Now you got me to click on his 'abovethecrease' hyperlink ... which is defunct.
Agreed: may want to update your signature, Mr. Alban!
Originally Posted by stout

I've asked for input from mentors like Jeff Zwart.
Zwart!
Pete-- Nice timing, busy man: check for recent e-mail entitled "Zwart @ Parade" with photos of Jeff at the July PCA Parade.

...Pic I snapped while he was admiring a pristine 993:

...& Jeremy Rosenberger's of the Z-man overlooking 'Speedy:'

^^ Photography © 2012 Jeremy Rosenberger, AKA smugMug.com's "ubergeek."

Last edited by curve lover; 10-26-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Maybe I'll change it if re-elected....or, if not, I won't have to do anything Also have to reactive Above The Crease Racing..but, then again, I have to go back to racing, something this volunteer job has pretty much shut down for me because of time constraints.

I got to meet Jeff Zwart at the Salt Lake City Parade this year. Probably gushed a bit too much, but hey, the guy's a legend.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Pete, congratulations on you new post, I'm looking forward to a revitalized Panorama. Manny - thanks for making this happen! I hope I'll see you at the Z1 meeting in a few weeks.

Best,
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Good for Pano, worried for Excellence.
Excellence is left in the deft hands of Greg Brown, patina'd hands with miles and miles of well pen'd stories / excellent adventures.

Brown was Editor of European Car Magazine prior to (recently departed) Les Bidrwan, and has a 25yr Primedia history.

Sounds a great fit!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Jan 2013 PCA Panorama

Originally Posted by stout

I'm excited about what's ahead, but recognize a lot of work to get to where we're looking to go.

I'm leaning toward evolution rather than revolution.
Check your mail for Pete's 1st Panorama evolution

A friend always receives the 1st Panos in the region, & eagerly shared 1 with me yesterday.
Look for a funny photo of Pete behind a symbolic 'Detour' street sign, & a great feature of a 1973 911E (owned by famous racecar driver Dario Franchitti), & much more.

RLer Stout's 1st PCA issue's already getting rave reviews by Canadian RLers, who apparently recieve theirs a little earlier than most in the US.
Originally Posted by ronnie993tt

Panorama dramatically improved since Pete Stout took over as editor. I think all of the Features in the January 2013 issue are quite engaging!
Originally Posted by Richard930

I got mine yesterday and was thinking the same thing. It's the first one in quite some time that had articles I found interesting.
Originally Posted by Torontoworker

Pano was getting tired. Now they have a pro from Excellence magazine at the helm and Pano is joining the rest of the world and becoming the standard magazine size this year. The target is mid summer for this change. It was costing the membership money to cut down the size of the paper stock to smaller then industry standard. Did you know that the size was set back in the 50's because it fit inside a 356 glove box?! True...

Glad to hear that you noticed the changes. Wait until you compare it to the December 2013 issue. Lots more on the way.
Originally Posted by ronnie993tt

there's no comparison. Excellence quality features now, particularly the Exclusive 930 and Target 911 articles. Looking forward to bigger format. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I like the emphasis on older Porsches and history of the make.

The article on the 944 through Africa was so good that I bought the book. It's more about the people than the cars, but Coombs is an awesome writer.

Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)