Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Porsche expert, new father, & all-around great guy Pete Stout has led what many consider the most-respected Porsche magazine in the world

He recently wrote me, excited for his next big opportunity, for which - IMHO - congratulations are certainly in order!

9Magazine.com's "Pete Stout, Former Excellence Editor, Named Editor-In-Chief Of PCA Panorama:"
Originally Posted by 9 Magazine
October 15, 2012

Stout goes to PCA Panorama from Excellence Magazine, where he has served as Editor-in-Chief since 1998

The Porsche Club of America has announced the appointment of Pete Stout as Editor, Porsche Panorama and Director, Integrated Marketing for PCA. In his new role, Stout will lead editorial operations for the award-winning Porsche Panorama magazine while integrating alternative communication resources and activities.

“The January 2013 issue of Panorama will begin a new chapter in PCA’s history,” Manny Alban President of the Porsche Club of America says. “Our members will soon notice a change not only in our magazine but the website as well as other lines of communication.

We are committed to the development of this primary PCA member benefit – Porsche Panorama. Putting Pete at the helm of the magazine is the exclamation point on that promise.”

Stout goes to PCA from Excellence Magazine. He is a graduate of Westmont College where he earned dual BAs in English and Communication Studies. He is also a graduate of Bob Bondurant Advanced Road Racing Course and the Porsche Sport Driving School.

Stout succeeds current Panorama Editor-in-Chief, Betty Jo Turner, who will retire at the end of December after serving more than 42 years. “The respect Betty Jo has garnered from those in the industry and beyond is a testament to her work ethic and loyalty to PCA,” Alban adds, “and PCA will forever be indebted to her.”

The Porsche Club of America is the largest, single-marque automobile club in the world with more than 107,000 members throughout the United States and Canada.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not mentioned in today's PCA press release nor above, that Pete also told me about: he'll be opening PCA's new west coast offices
Speaking of the left coast, here's RLer "Stout" (formerly "ExcMag") with the Chief Judge of 2010's "White Gloves" PCA Concours d'Elegance in Dana Point, CA:

Panorama's retiring Editor in Chief, the amazing Betty Jo Turner, personally shared a rare factoid about Pete -- he's already been Pano's cover model!
Turns out it's 1 of my favorite cover shots: here's Stout driving this Speedster

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Red Speedsters, they're everywhere!

Great photos.

I didn't know Speedy eats, in addition to leaves, Porsche magazines now as well? Or maybe its Speedy's tongue?

Hasn't quite chewed that license plate yet . Speedy's tryin though

Take care!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully Excellence retains its edge under new leadership, and that Pete takes some of that edge to Pano 8-)

also not mentioned in the PR (got that email too):

"We'll be looking at all aspects of Pano. With newly affirmed editorial freedom, we'll work to turn the "club magazine" paradigm on its head and make Pano what a modern Porsche magazine can and should be: a print and tablet periodical known for its honest voice, compelling stories, and beautiful layouts—as well as artistic covers that aren't beholden to the shadowy interests of newsstand buyers."

Looking forward to the new tomorrow... and now 2 good opps for ed bits 8-). Stay tooned...

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Best of luck with the new venture Pete!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to read about the warm reception Pete is receiving as the news spreads. We are absolutely thrilled to have him on board.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Very cool! As was mentioned earlier, I sure hope Excellence stays as high quality as it has been. As for Pano, maybe there will be a reason to spend more than 5 minutes looking at it and tossing it on the pile. Congrats Pete!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That's great! Pano has the most intriguing cover photos I've ever seen. But I read excellence cover to cover every month. I can't wait to see what's to come!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
hopefully Excellence retains its edge under new leadership, and that Pete takes some of that edge to Pano 8-)...

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
+1

Please don't become a typical "straw hat, sailing shoe, Porsche guy", stay the way you are and get your mojo into the PCA magazine, it needs it.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Huge kudos to Betty Jo Turner and Leonard Turner for all of the efforts they've put into the publication, but I hope this change will give Panorama a much needed shot in the arm. My favorite articles focus on the historic racing cars and the drivers.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Great news, and can't wait to see how Panorama (& Excellence) evolves!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

I love Excellence and must admit I look forward to getting it more each month than Pano, and I look at this as good news for Pano. Hope Excellence stays as good and that they keep Harris too!
Betty Jo has done a great job but it is time for some new blood so to speak.
Good pick Manny!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Huge kudos to Betty Jo Turner and Leonard Turner for all of the efforts they've put into the publication, but I hope this change will give Panorama a much needed shot in the arm. My favorite articles focus on the historic racing cars and the drivers.
I second that! How many were around when Betty Jo took the reins? I was...and, yes, it makes me feel a bit old.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Great news, and can't wait to see how Panorama (& Excellence) evolves!
X2. I've enjoyed reading both, and hope to continue doing so.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
hopefully Excellence retains its edge under new leadership, and that Pete takes some of that edge to Pano 8-)

also not mentioned in the PR (got that email too):

"We'll be looking at all aspects of Pano. With newly affirmed editorial freedom, we'll work to turn the "club magazine" paradigm on its head and make Pano what a modern Porsche magazine can and should be: a print and tablet periodical known for its honest voice, compelling stories, and beautiful layouts—as well as artistic covers that aren't beholden to the shadowy interests of newsstand buyers."

Looking forward to the new tomorrow... and now 2 good opps for ed bits 8-). Stay tooned...

Paul
CT
Where did you get this quote?

I hope they do something about the awful black-background (and weird way you look at/download race results) on the website as well.

He has work to do.

Quick Reply: From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)