Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
Where did you get this quote?

I hope they do something about the awful black-background (and weird way you look at/download race results) on the website as well.

He has work to do.
Hey Mr. esscape-

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
also not mentioned in the PR (got that email too):
It was in Pete's email to me. I was initially a bit hesitant to share it, but then figured it is actually good press to promote the coming changes @ Pano.

I agree with all of what's been said here, Pano needs some freshening (no discredit to Betty Jo by any means) and Pete is certainly the man to do it as evidenced by 15yrs of Excellence (<----great play on werds there eh?).

I am also certain that Excellence will continue to be amazing, as Pete would doubtfully allow any tarnish to his legacy there.

Very much looking forward to the 'neu' Pano... as someone else said, I've got a stack in my drawer here a year-high that I've never read as they just have not been engaging (to me). I prefer writing style with - well - some of exactly 'that'... style. Flavor. Engagement. It has seemed a bit black 'n white to me as far as ed-style goes (tho, I did just read the July bit about Sam Smith's Cup Experience that made me chuckle a number of times - well done!).

This is very much a delicate balance act tho, Pano has an extremely diverse base of subscribers to whom they must endeavor to appeal... the full spectrum of owners from track rats to concours freaks to old codgers to young newbs to classic buffs to latest 'n greatest owners - and everything / anything in between... no small feat. It's hard to appeal to the masses without either offending or being sterile - a lose / lose conundrum IMO.

Alas! Pano is in great hands with Pete, no doubt...

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the insight, Paul ^^ Wasn't in what Pete sent me. Was wondering what other interesting info he may have relayed.
Originally Posted by skl

Good pick Manny!!!
+ 993 ^^
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Huge kudos to Betty Jo Turner and Leonard Turner for all of the efforts they've put into the publication.
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT

I second that!
I've been at multiple PCA events where I've heard Betty Jo and others speak about her incomparable history with the Club - 43 years as editor!!!
Simply put, Panorama probably wouldn't exist at any comparable level today without her decades of devotion

Finally got to spend some time talking with the Turners in May at PCA's "Fiesta New Mexico" -- fascinating folks who were a blast to meet.

Here's Leonard, Panorama's Chief Photographer, at the Heritage/Historic display during July's PCA Parade Concours d'Elegance:

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM
bronto
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Ecstatic to see that Pete is a fellow Westmont alumni!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
bronto
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Pete also told me about: he'll be opening PCA's new west coast offices
Where? Is he still in Santa Barbara?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks for the insight, Paul ^^ Wasn't in what Pete sent me. Was wondering what other interesting info he may have relayed.
you're welcome, Jager

great pics as usual! Them 'neuFuchs' *really* set your car off! The larger sizing is especially complimentary of the Speedster shape, IMO the original Speedster (and to some extent the 964) looked a bit hump-backed with the diminutive 16"ers on there... yours makes me feel all kinda sorta funny 'down there', Garth Algar-like... 8-)

Varrry niiiiiiiiiiiice...

Originally Posted by bronto
Where? Is he still in Santa Barbara?
he only said "here in Northern California" in the email... all I know is that it was not "Northeastern Connecticut" heh heh 8-)

maybe Manny will chime back in - great to see him on our board here

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

finally, panorama may be worth reading....
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
maybe Manny will chime back in - great to see him on our board here
Manny may not post much here, but he is the ultimate lurker with a voracious appetite for Porsche discussions. I am always surprised to see him pop in on discussions.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Panorama covers have been beautiful. Leonard Turner is an outstanding photographer. I hope his work continues to be featured.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Glad to read about the warm reception Pete is receiving as the news spreads. We are absolutely thrilled to have him on board.
Congrats to Pete and PCA for this arrangement!

Got my 10 yr. PCA citation in the mail yesterday, signed by Manny (yes, I know it was a copy) thanks. Nice touch. I started doing 5, 10, 15... yr. anniversaries in our local club newsletter quite a few years ago (I'm membership for a month or 2 more) and it was well received by the membership.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1

Please don't become a typical "straw hat, sailing shoe, Porsche guy", stay the way you are and get your mojo into the PCA magazine, it needs it.

Good luck!
Man, that "straw hat, sailing shoe, Porsche guy" covers the typical Panorama player pretty well and describes the direction the PCA has taken since I joined almost 40 years ago!!!

I think Pete will move Panorama back to the PCA core which is the car with more technical articles rather than social interest articles .

Also, Pano has been way to much in the PCNA importer camp with practically no criticism of the new cars when some was due IMHO
Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Porsche expert, new father, & all-around great guy Pete Stout has led what many consider the most-respected Porsche magazine in the world

[/URL]:"

• increase pub size to A4 or 8 1/2 X 11"
  • take a close look at the "tech team". nearly every issue i see answers so wrong that i chuckle, and I know that some of the tech experts have forgotten more than I currenlty know about P cars. This issue says they've never heard of a 993 with a spontaneously fracturing rear glass. errrrrrrrr ummmmmmm . Maybe it's all a PCNA conspiracy to drive business at the dealers for repairs....
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
pmo75
Rennlist Member

Will be interesting. For all its good content, Pano is rather frozen in time.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

Afraid I'm old enough to remember Pano before Betty Jo as well, though I wasn't a member yet as I hadn't gotten a P car then, hell I was in high school!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:22 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Good for Pano, worried for Excellence.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for Pano, worried for Excellence....timothymoffatt
+1.

Quick Reply: From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)