993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johzev
Just traded a couple of emails back and forth with Rod Birch. He told me that the only way to leave grills, wiring, and amp unmolested is to use oem replacement speakers. He of course encouraged me to get rid of the low quality stuff. I'm however now planning to order oem nokia tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback on this thread. I'm disappointed that I can't improve the speakers without molesting the oem set up, but pleased that I think I'm certain of the way to go.

Like you all say, what a great place this is!
Actually, I have Polk's in the rear that use the original grill with very little modification to the (Polk) plate. I did get new rear grills because after 15 yrs they are a little fragile. They sound far superior than the OE Nokia IMHO.

I'll see if I can find the model number. (You may try a search here as that's where I found them, try "rear speakers polk" in the search string for the thread)

Found one of the many threads: Polk db461 install thread

As for the front (midrange) speakers, it is quite easy to install slightly larger speakers w/out making a mess of the door panel leather/vinyl.

Remove the original speakers, remove the door panel from the door, from the back side of the door panel remove the staples that hold the cutout "flaps" of door panel around the speaker openings (you'll understand when you see the back side of the door panel), cut a larger circle in the "cardboard" portion of the door panel to accommodate the larger speaker, snip the flaps a little wider for the new cutout and fold the flaps back and fasten to panel.

Install new speakers and their new grills (you will not be able to use the stock grills). While not stock looking they look pretty darn close as long as you don't use the "ricer" style speakers.

I have Focal in mine IIRC.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Actually, I have Polk's in the rear that use the original grill with very little modification to the (Polk) plate. I did get new rear grills because after 15 yrs they are a little fragile. They sound far superior than the OE Nokia IMHO.

I'll see if I can find the model number. (You may try a search here as that's where I found them, try "rear speakers polk" in the search string for the thread)

Found one of the many threads: Polk db461 install thread

As for the front (midrange) speakers, it is quite easy to install slightly larger speakers w/out making a mess of the door panel leather/vinyl.

Remove the original speakers, remove the door panel from the door, from the back side of the door panel remove the staples that hold the cutout "flaps" of door panel around the speaker openings (you'll understand when you see the back side of the door panel), cut a larger circle in the "cardboard" portion of the door panel to accommodate the larger speaker, snip the flaps a little wider for the new cutout and fold the flaps back and fasten to panel.

Install new speakers and their new grills (you will not be able to use the stock grills). While not stock looking they look pretty darn close as long as you don't use the "ricer" style speakers.

I have Focal in mine IIRC.
Bill,

I have a Cab, and I believe the Coupes have different rear speakers right? I have 4 1/2 inch rears in the side panels.

I took off the lower door panel last night just to check things out. The OEM grilles (HiFi) don't look like they can be replaced easily as they are held to the panel with a sort of rivet...I thought they just popped off. Replacing with OEM grilles or grilles for a different speaker has obviously been done, but I guess it's not as easily done as I thought.

The speakers themselves are mounted with very small hex screws...I did'nt have the right tool to pop them out. My woofer actually looked pretty good, but the mid was completely disintegrated.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dreamer, I had a cab before I got the coupe but neither had the HiFi option so I don't know much about it. However, the rear (round) speakers on the cab were very easy to upgrade (IIRC).

I will look for what speakers I used (may not have that info anymore though) but you can just remove the OE rear speakers, measure them (don't forget depth since the seatbelt retracter is back there) and find a speaker in that size.

Personally, the rears on the cab don't provide much considering the wind noise so I wouldn't go overboard with them. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I would get in touch with this guys.
http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm
They provided me a 100% fit for my CAB of very good speakers which fit right into the OEM setup and look OEM. Now I don't have the HIFI option in my CAB but I feel confident that they have a solution for this as well which will look completely OEM without changing anything. Worth a call.

Jack
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Optional HiFi speaker system

JL Audio sells a 4 ohm mid-woofer which is a plug N play direct fit to the OEM 130mm DIN (5.25") mid-woofer used in the HiFi options door enclosure. Additionally, there is the world class VW/Dynaudio 3" (6ohm) soft dome mid range being a direct fit in the enclosure's 2nd (mid?) position. The stock HiFi options amp/speaker option is greatly enhanced with these two simple driver changes; When driven by the stock CDR-210 Becker/Porsche head unit and external Nokia amp module.

There's no need to purchase the down market (audibly speaking) OE Nokia /ITT drivers.

Re: JL Audio C5-525 2-way componet System.. The 130mm (DIN shaped flange) mid-woofer is a Dr. Kurt Muller company design.

VW/Dynaudio 3" mid-range VW part number; 7H0 035 416
Paul @ KefferVWparts gave me the below prices in year 2010.
1. 7H0-035-415 SPEAKER 1 $207.32 (right)
2. 7H0-035-416 SPEAKER 1 $219.00 (left)

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's a snapshot of the 993s HiFi options door mounted speaker enclosure fitted with a OEM VW/Dynaudio 3" soft dome mid-range.
Attached Images  

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alibo70 (08-29-2022)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My HiFi option door woofer is also kaput. May as well get the JL Audio and midrange. Do you have the part number for the Dynaudio/VW component? I found several options incl the Esostar2 which os well over $1K, so you must be referring to another part.

Seem to be missing the photo in that last post.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ooops on the huge snapshot. The snapshot does show the VW/Dynaudio mid-range although the mid-woofer in this picture is the OEM. The JL Audio 130mm mid-woofer has a similar shaped DIN mounting flange.

The VW/Dynaudio mid-range driver is sourced from a VW vehicle optioned with a Dynaudio HiFi system. This particular mid-range is the OEM version of the aftermarket Dynaudio MD 140 unit.
The aftermarket Dyn MD 140 sells for about $225.00 each after discounts or so.

The aftermarket Dynaudio MD140 is considered by many to be a world class mid-range driver.
The current aftermarket MD140 is up to a version 2. .... MD140/2

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but anyone with a cab should not spend much money on rear speakers.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

i have Boston Acoustic in my doors. They pulled the tweeters and installed in the original tweeter place. Also have a custom sub in the passenger footwell. Great sound in my cab now
Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike:

First, thanks for your comments. What you have done with speakers seems to be right on track with what I'm trying to achieve. Just to clarify, the mid woofer (5.25") can be sourced from JL Audio, the smaller mid range did not come from JL Audio?

So, I could get an OEM tweeter (nokia), mid woofer from JL Audio, and the smaller mid range from a third source and accomplish a complete replacement of door speakers that is totally "plug and play" and an improvement over all OEM?

Do you have any more info on the small mid range. Serial number, maybe year or exact VW it came from?

Thanks again for your insight.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Z,
If you get the JL Audio kit that Mike is referring to it includes the two 5.25" woofers, 2 tweeters and a cross-over. The 3" midrange is the VW version of the MD140. Apparently the woofer and mid are plug and play, while the tweeter needs a little work to the tweeter mounting hardware.

What I'm uncertain about is if the crossover is used and how the mid is wired into the system.

With the grille installed the car will look stock. This is the route I'm going as I want my cake and eat it.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:40 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Still unclear to me if all wiring can remain oem and just use speakers. It looks to me as though JL Audio will sell just the mid woofers 5.25", that is not in a component package with tweeter.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There's an old saying amongst audio engineers which states … “You can’t shine a sneaker”. However,,, that was before today’s herculean DSP filtering as an option. The 993s system needs nothing more than proper Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and clean power.

Let me clarify - My objective is to sonically enhance the stock HiFi speaker option (CDR-210 Porsche-Becker CD head unit, ext Nokia amp) and stay stealth all the way...

The OEM HiFi option - overview.
The OEM HiFi speaker option is comprised of an external amplifier w/a fixed crossover piont located under the passenger seat and door mounted enclosures housing a 130mm (5.25”) 4 ohm woofer, a 80mm (2.15") 6 ohm full-range and an independently mounted door 20mm tweeter pod.
The external amp w/crossover handles the fixed crossover piont btw the woofer (130mm) and the full-range (80mm). The actual crossover frequency piont is unknown and the amps actual output is speculative; 15-20w RMS a channel?

Okay, fast forward 2012. After years of the HiFi options torture,,, it’s time to correct the HiFi choices of the early 1990s.

1st: Stealth is the name of the game and if not there had better be a Fa-cuss-ing absolute reason why not. Stealth can be done but like anything else it takes time & often money.

2nd: LF Driver replacement – JL Audio offers a German made 130mm 4 ohm, 53hz -3Khz 75w RMS mid-woofer with impressive, modern spec’s. The JL Audio model C5 525 2-way component system kit utilizes this 130mm mid-woofer although the mid-woofer may be offered as a single purchase. See JL Audio. Anyway,, the JL Audio C5 130mm mid woofer is a direct plug N play arrangement using the stock wiring.

Full-range speaker replacement – is a OEM VW/Dynaudio 3” soft dome mid-range driver sourced from a VW (EOS, Passat, others)where equipped with the Dynaudio HiFi option. See ebay.de or a VW parts department for these drivers. When fitting to the 993s HiFi enclosure the VW/Dynaudio mid-range requires a slight modification where its outer OE bracket is simply removed. (30 seconds) lastly the mid driver is simply dropped into the mid-range position of the 993s HiFi door enclosure. The wiring will require a new spade termination – it’s that simple. The JL Audio 130mm mid-woofer and VW/Dynaudio mid-range pair work very, well,,,even when driven by the stock OEM external amp w/ fixed crossover; although the exact XO point is unknown it does not offend the VW/Dyn mid-range. (the VW/Dyn mid-range can operate much lower than the OEM Nokia amp/XO module's,, fixed XO piont) With proper EQ and XO control the driver's & enclosure combination would sound superb. IMHO. DSP cures all ills...even crummy speakers, head units, etc...

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Below is the VW part number for the VW/Dynaudio 3" mid-range used in upgrading the 993s HiFi enclosure. Either mid-range part is suitable as both mounting collars are removed for purposes of the 993 HiFi enclosure install.

VW/Dynaudio 3" mid-range VW part number; 7H0 035 415.
Paul @ KefferVWparts gave me the below prices in year 2010.
1. 7H0-035-415 SPEAKER 1 $207.32 (right)
2. 7H0-035-416 SPEAKER 1 $219.00 (left)

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Replacement