Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All I need are good working tweeters and mid-range while the StageIIIs make-up for the bass!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

So, I am ready to upgrade speakers as well, but am curioushow the grills come off the hifi speakers in the front? Do I simply pry them or or is there some secret?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tons and tons of threads, including posts on p-car diy, on how to remove speakers.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
posts on p-car diy, on how to remove speakers.
Found it! Thanks. It was hidden under the logically connected but not obvious (at least to my ADHD brain) title of door panel removal.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 AM
JJulian
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced mine with Focal component speaker set, replaced the midrange with the tweeter and just unhooked the orig tweeter.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Optional HiFi speaker system

Originally Posted by JJulian
Replaced mine with Focal component speaker set, replaced the midrange with the tweeter and just unhooked the orig tweeter.
My guess is the above being a "coherent 2-way driver arrangement" make's for a favorable sound stage in the confined 993 interior space. Maybe a little low in elevation, , , maybe not. Certainly better than the stock HiFi tweeter location which is to far to the rear.

I'm curious as to what aftermarket amp and crossover is being used. The stock OEM Nokia amp specifically the two forward signals couldn't possibly work well; the 500hz crossover point and a full channel to only a tweeter screws things up.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-30-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JL Audio speakers arrived in the mail today....stock on the right, JL on the left. Identical dimensions -- depth, width, mounting points, everything. They drop right in.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Optional HiFi Speaker System

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
What I'm uncertain about is if the crossover is used and how the mid is wired into the system.
The HiFi options crossover frequency and limited bandwidth for the 130mm (5.25") mid-woofer is from 500hz and down, that's it. The so called 3" mid-range gets a full bandwidth signal for which the door mounted tweeter is then wired piggyback style using a capacitor to protect the tweeter.

The optional Nokia HiFi systems enclosure mounted 130mm (5.25") low-mid woofer produces NO acoustic energy above 500hz.... (providing the speaker wiring and Nokia HiFi amp module are in OEM stock condition.)

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
JL Audio speakers arrived in the mail today....stock on the right, JL on the left. Identical dimensions -- depth, width, mounting points, everything. They drop right in.
You'll be very happy with these "drop in's". They are more pricey than others, but well worth it and fantastic sound. I love mine.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To be honest and this was just my experience but when I compared the JL Audio and stock speakers I could discern very little difference in performance. I was underwhelmed. Maybe a better amp is needed to wake these speakers up. I'm using a Sony Xplode head, the original Nokia amp, crossover and wiring. I swapped them multiple times and was surprised how similar the sound was. Not identical but too close to justify the much higher price for the JL's. They weigh about the same and the magnets have the same dimensions which may explain the similarities. YMMV

I'm going to try the Focal 130VR's next which have a much larger magnet.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The magnet dimension alone is not at all predictive of sonic character. It’s very much a marketing sprung mis-queue right up there with “watts !”.
The JL Audio 130mm mid-woofer was chosen for its motor assemblies overall operating details – the mid-woofers Thiele Small parameters,,, for one the speakers FS number works well for the Nokia/ HiFi enclosure, not to mention significant improvements in all others. I have the OEM speakers white paper - including T/S. The Nokia/ITT 130mm mid-woofer was also used in the B&O Redline series (RL 60) speakers of the day - say early '90s. The mid-woofer is an older style assembly which decades in time has improved. Enter the JL Audio 130mm and others.

Do keep in mind the Nokia HiFi system feeds the mid-woofer a signal btw 20hz to 500hz, that's it.... The Porsche wiring diagram identifies this as a “sub-woofer” channel as measurements bares this out.
Up rating both the 3” full-range and the mid-woofer makes for a huge HiFi system improvement.

Improving the stock HiFi Speaker Option strategy:
If you were to change one speaker - it would be the 3" so-called mid-range speaker, its actually being feed a full bandwidth signal. (a Dynaudio version tests very well) If you were to change a second speaker it would be the 130mm mid-woofer - that's a photo finish second. (a JL Audio 130mm is suitable)
The system would greatly improve with proper, make that any, Equalization - EQ. The HiFi option can be a pleasant sounding system! - I'm just saying.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-31-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

oops

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-28-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Baj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all
If you have the non hifi option and you want to get more depth out of your speakers you need to mount them to the metal part of the door and not to the door card. You can also get 6.5 inch speakers to fit the original hole if you fix it to the metal.
I am running focals in mine running from an amp, drops much lower and the music sound alive.
The JL audio C5's would need an amp too to get the best out of them.
It is best to use a component set of speakers rather than just upgrading the mids as the set would be matched (same power) with correct xover points.
If you have you hifi option and you replace the speakers they will be mid heavy if you don't use the correct speakers.
I have fitted many speakers in a 993 so if you need any info let me know.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:33 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Baj
Hi all
If you have you hifi option and you replace the speakers they will be mid heavy if you don't use the correct speakers.
I have fitted many speakers in a 993 so if you need any info let me know.
Hey Baj - welcome to the Rennlist 993 forum.

Having fitted many speakers in a 933 can you share with us your prefered speakers for the 933s HiFi speaker system option?

If you recall the HiFi options front doors have a 130mm 4ohm speaker in a port tuned low freqency enclosure, in addition to a 3" 6ohm full range speaker (often refered to as a mid-range speaker). And lastly a door pannel, pod mounted, tweeter get its signal from the 3" full range speaker's signal with a capacitor in-line for protection.

The underseat located amplifier and active crossover feeds the Low Frequency leg up to 500hz and the full spectrum signal leg is a proper 20hz to 20khz.

Again, what has been your experience when replacing these specific speakers?

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-30-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

To be honest and this was just my experience but when I compared the JL Audio and stock speakers I could discern very little difference in performance. I was underwhelmed. Maybe a better amp is needed to wake these speakers up. I'm using a Sony Xplode head, the original Nokia amp, crossover and wiring. I swapped them multiple times and was surprised how similar the sound was. Not identical but too close to justify the much higher price for the JL's. They weigh about the same and the magnets have the same dimensions which may explain the similarities. YMMV

I'm really shocked to hear this. Mine are unbelievable. I do not have the stock hifi setup. I bought my 993 with an older Alpine head unit/amp and the JL Audio speakers. I just replaced the head unit with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. Maybe the speakers are 6 3/4's. Never payed much attention to the speakers because they sound so good. I can switch between the head unit and the external amp and really can't tell the difference (so I'm pretty sure it's not the amp). These speakers pound so hard without distortion you can feel the pressure (wind?) on the side of your legs. Most my friends think I have a sub woofer somewhere.

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Replacement