Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Mike did you use an oem tweeter in combination with the VW mid range and the JL Audio woofer?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,

Seems like there are a couple C5 525 options...is this the correct one?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGQQ8wIwAQ

I'm assuming we don't need the tweeters and the crossovers for the install, so if the 5 1/4 JLs can be purchased by themselves, that would be ideal.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Optional HiFi speaker system

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
Mike,

Seems like there are a couple C5 525 options...is this the correct one?

I'm assuming we don't need the tweeters and the crossovers for the install, so if the 5 1/4 JLs can be purchased by themselves, that would be ideal.
Yes. That will do her. The Crutchfield web site pictures the JL Audio model
C5 525cw as a 130mm (5.25") mid-woofer only with the correct DIN flange.

Yeap, that looks good. Your 993s HiFi enclosure will thank you for it.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by johzev
So Mike did you use an oem tweeter in combination with the VW mid range and the JL Audio woofer?
Yes, I used the 993s OEM/stock tweeter. I've also used the JL Audio 3/4" tweeter grafted to a stock OEM Porsche door pod. Better H.F. performance, but not worth the effort when using the stock Nokia Amp.
I will be installing a Morel tweeter with a pod mount similar to Porsche.

Changing the woofer & mid-range drivers is a good leap forward in performance however the elephant in the room is NO EQ control and the desire for more power. A stock CDR-210 head unit driving a modern amp w/ DSP (EQ, XO, etc.) control would transform the Porsche HiFi system in one fell swoop,,,, with DSP the OEM drivers can be beat into submission. Enter the Mosconi One 60.4/DSP. It measures 8"x8"x1.75" with Windows running the DSP control. Here's a link..
http://mosconi-america.com/one604dsp.html ... new for summer 2012.

Hurculean DSP should be a first step in any 993 HiFi upgrade. The OEM system simple does not have any EQ. - Go figure.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

From this response I assume you are still using the Nokia crossover. Correct? Just spliced the new speaker modules into the existing wiring loom.

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Yes, I used the 993s OEM/stock tweeter. I've also used the JL Audio 3/4" tweeter grafted to a stock OEM Porsche door door pod. Better H.F. performance but not worth the effort when using the stock Nokia Amp.
I will be installing a Morel tweeter which has pod mount similar to Porsche.

Changing the woofer & mid-range drivers is a good leap forward in performance however the elephant in the room is NO EQ control and more power. A stock CDR-210 driving a modern amp w/ DSP EQ control would transform the Porsche HiFi system in one fell swoop. Enter the Mosconi One 60.4/DSP. It measures 8"x8"x1.75" with Windows running the DSP control. Here's a link..
http://mosconi-america.com/one604dsp.html ... new for summer 2012.

Hurculean DSP should be a first step in any 993 HiFi upgrade. The system simple does not have any EQ. - Go figure.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
From this response I assume you are still using the Nokia crossover. Correct? Just spliced the new speaker modules into the existing wiring loom.
Haydn -

Yes I'm currently playing around with the passenger seat located Nokia amp/w XO in the system. The OEM system benefits greatly from the C5 -525cw woofer and the VW/Dyn mid-range install - greatly improved.

The piont to be made is this 1990s HiFi system has no EQ. Today's modern DSP in-a-box brings hurculean signal processing to bare. And DSP on the cheap $$. Its a Game Change.

The Pioneer DEX P99RS head unit is (and has been world class in terms of automotive DSP units for some time).... but its not the right mouse trap if you want to keep the dashboard asthetic stock as I prefer. There's a few pictures posted of the P99 installed and its not offennsive, not at all - just not stock. So now its the summer of 2012,,,, enter all these capable outboard DSP units coming available - we can have our cake and eat it too.

If anyone is local to the area you're welcome to stop bye and audition the HiFi with the new drivers with the OEM head unit and Nokia amp. Its a big step forward in performance.

At the end of the day I'll take that next step with the introduction of a DSP and using the stock CDR 210 to drive it all.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Ordered JL Audio mid woofers from Crutchfield today. $300 + for pair including shipping. Attempted to order oem tweeter and mid range from Eingnlat. They reported no stock. I plan to try Sunset in the morning. Will give final report when installation is complete.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Haydn -

Yes I'm currently playing around with the passenger seat located Nokia amp/w XO in the system. The OEM system benefits greatly from the C5 -525cw woofer and the VW/Dyn mid-range install - greatly improved.

The piont to be made is this 1990s HiFi system has no EQ. Today's modern DSP in-a-box brings hurculean signal processing to bare. And DSP on the cheap $$. Its a Game Change.

I have a Pioneer DEX P99RS head unit which is world class in terms of automotive DSP units.... but its not the right mouse trap if you want to keep the dashboard asthetic stock. There's a few pictures posted of the P99 installed in the 993s dash and its not offennsive, not at all - just not stock. So now,, enter all these capable outboard DSP units coming available - we can have our cake and eat it too.

If anyone is local to the area you're welcome to stop bye and audition the HiFi with the new drivers with the OEM head unit and Nokia amp. Its a big step forward in performance.

At the end of the day I'll take that next step with the introduction of a DSP and using the stock CDR 210 to drive it all.
Is there a particular DSP that you recommend?

I have a CDR220 driving a Lunar 2125 into Oz Audio Matrix Elite component speakers, it sounds great, but a DSP could make it even better.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I replaced my 490 hifi amp with a 680 dsp
and also the armrests controller.
The amp is rare and expensive new (1800!).
Picked one up used for 250.
The controller is about 150 new.
all plug and play after removing pass seat.
quality improved but not for the audiophile.
fyi I also use a satechi soundfly Fm transmitter
with nice results.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have heard that the 944 part number speaker grilles for the non hi-fi rear speakers are no longer available. I replaced these when I dropped in new rear speakers a few years ago now. If you can find them ****** them up.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kika
Is there a particular DSP that you recommend?
Kika -
Nope, not really. A recent DSP to market is the outboard DSP module designed by a German engineer and built in Italy by Mosconi. Its the model, 6to8 DSP. Window's platform, bluetooth connection, 31band (1/3rd octave) EQ on all 8ch of output, Parametric EQ, XO pionts w/36db slopes, Time alignment, blah, blah.. What can't this DSP control?
Addtionally there's the older, time honored JBL unit, the model MS-8 DSP unit with auto tune. Alpine has a DSP XXX somethin, however only operational for Alpine radios..IIRC. There's the older Audison One DSP.
Here's a new 2012 Mosconi link; http://mosconi-america.com/dsp.html

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by johzev
Attempted to order oem tweeter and mid range from Eingnlat. They reported no stock.
johzev -
Free-to-Good home are (2) OEM mid-range speakers from my MY98 993 HiFi door option; very good condition. You pay the UPS from ATL. PM me.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-29-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Picked my car up from the body shop today after having them replace the door speakers. OEM mid range and tweeter. JL Audio mid woofer.

My car is a 97 with 70,000 miles. It's been garaged since new. The condition of the speakers removed was pretty bad. Mid range speakers were the worst with the cones clearly disintegrating. Tweeters had the bulb cone pushed in on one side. The woofers looked okay.

The clarity of the sound with new speakers is dramatically improved. What I can't really say is how much of the improvement is because of the JL Audio woofers or just having all new speakers. Non the less I regret that I did not do this sooner.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update. Just ordered a pair of the JL Audio speakers.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Having owned the 993 since new, the history with the HiFi charactor is over a decade. In a word the HiFi system performance is lack lustre-dull. - it sucks. The HiFi system has the goods so to speak, but without broad system EQ the outcome falls waaay short of dynamic.

From the recent acoustic measurements taken, the full range speaker replacement earns the most impact of the enclosures 2 speaker layout. In the 993 HiFi option speaker arrangement,, both the (mid)-woofer (5.25") and full range (3") should be considered equal partners. The cross over piont (approx. 300hz to 400hz fixed) of the Nokia amplifier bare's this out; in the upper register the full-range speaker is not actually crossed over to the tweeter as a capacitor is used for protection., the two simply overlap each others useable range and then decay.

That being said, the mid-woofer replacement (JL unit) really cleans up the lower mid-range from 500hz on down. The OX point for the mid-woofer is (measures) 500hz. Additionally the base-reflex enclosure of the HiFi option does its best to exploit the lower side of 100hz or so.. With the addition of EQ the HiFi options door enclosure would be a gem.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-31-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Replacement