Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:38 PM
user 6108123
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you looking for a replacement for the 3" midrange and don't want to use the stock Nokia speakers, I installed these speakers:

Visaton FRS8-8 3.3" Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm
https://www.parts-express.com/visato...8-ohm--292-524

Some very minor mods (a pair of tin snips to remove the opposing flanges). Fit pretty much perfectly, installed in less than 5-mins. Sounds good and made in Germany.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cross post: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...e-speaker.html One pair of NIB VW/Dyna Audio OEM mid-range speakers for Porsche 993. Pictures on the Parts Classified forum post. $150 plus shipping. i bought these new from one of the posters on this thread, but never installed them and have now sold the car.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

My 993 Cabriolet is original with the exception of the battery. I have non hi fi sound. My original speakers were disintegrated. I wanted to keep the original speaker covers. I called Crutchfield for assistance, and for me, it became too complicated. I bought original Porsche speakers from my Porsche dealer,. The speakers were reasonably priced and I was able to install the original speaker covers. Compared to the disintegrated, crackling speakers I am very much satisfied. When they disintegrate again, I will replace the speakers with Porsche speakers until someone provides a simple replacement speaker, better sounding, requiring no modifications, and the ability to maintain the original speaker covers.
I would love to have better sound, but until someone can meet my criteria described in my previous sentence, I will continue using the Porsche speakers.
I am open to ideas that will meet my criteria.
Thank you!!
Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
My 993 Cabriolet is original with the exception of the battery. I have non hi fi sound. My original speakers were disintegrated. I wanted to keep the original speaker covers. I called Crutchfield for assistance, and for me, it became too complicated. I bought original Porsche speakers from my Porsche dealer,. The speakers were reasonably priced and I was able to install the original speaker covers. Compared to the disintegrated, crackling speakers I am very much satisfied. When they disintegrate again, I will replace the speakers with Porsche speakers until someone provides a simple replacement speaker, better sounding, requiring no modifications, and the ability to maintain the original speaker covers.
I would love to have better sound, but until someone can meet my criteria described in my previous sentence, I will continue using the Porsche speakers.
I am open to ideas that will meet my criteria.
Thank you!!
OEM cab rear speakers are now $ 177 to $ 250 each...........a few years ago they were $28 or so each.........I found one last week at $28, searched everywhere on the net, made calls to half a dozen sources and no more to be found at that price to my knowledge......also an 8 ohm speaker for a 4X4 which makes it harder to replace as a plug and play with typical 4 ohm that are aftermarket available without altering something else....

Last edited by abiazis; 02-03-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:45 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

While I was checking my audio speakers, saw my 6 OHM woofers for the 490 HIFI option in both doors had both disintegrated and found some new OEM woofers at a dealer for $30 each and replaced them.......

Once I get the re-coned rear cab 8 OHM speakers back, that also disintegrated, the system will be totally restored to OEM with all speakers intact....needed a #9 torx screwdriver to remove the 2 screws for each door woofer ....about one hour job total to do it all.

Once all of these various OEM speakers for the 490 HIFI system are no longer available, re-coning the originals will be only option to keep OEM speakers in the car.....also wanted to keep the NOKIA amp functioning without bypassing to different OHM aftermarket speakers....8 ohm aftermarket speakers can be found for the rear speakers, but not that many options and none are an exact fit....also don't know any aftermarket exact fit options for the 6 ohm woofers for the doors

The following users liked this post:
unicorn2 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:16 AM
bhiscott
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrew, I’m just about to start on the same project. Did you replace the tweeters as well? I’m thinking of doing OEM for the fronts (Hi-Fi) and the upgrades on the rear from Suncoast. Mines a cab.

Thanks, Bob
Old 02-12-2021, 01:27 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhiscott
Andrew, I’m just about to start on the same project. Did you replace the tweeters as well? I’m thinking of doing OEM for the fronts (Hi-Fi) and the upgrades on the rear from Suncoast. Mines a cab.

Thanks, Bob
the tweeters are more durable by design, so I passed on replacing them. They are available from $40 plus from dealers....a little more work to get to them I believe.....the upgrades for the rear from Suncoast were around $200 each if memory serves me right....
bhiscott (02-12-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 06:03 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

How do you remove the covers for the mids/woofers?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:18 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbf73
How do you remove the covers for the mids/woofers?
Remove 5 Phillips screws around the carpeted area base around the bottom door edge and one screw inside door pocket storage compartment.....all of this drops down and comes off easily and exposes the 2 speakers...then use 9 point Torx screwdriver tool to take out respective speaker needing replaced...hope that helps....

Last edited by abiazis; 02-13-2021 at 07:34 PM.
dbf73 (02-14-2021)

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Replacement