Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Optional HiFi speaker system

Originally Posted by ble2011
I do not have the stock hifi setup. Maybe the speakers are 6 3/4's. .
ble2011 -

This thread is focused on the OEM HiFi speaker option - which admittedly your car is not equiped. GF

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-30-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I'm really shocked to hear this. Mine are unbelievable. I do not have the stock hifi setup. I bought my 993 with an older Alpine head unit/amp and the JL Audio speakers. I just replaced the head unit with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. Maybe the speakers are 6 3/4's. Never payed much attention to the speakers because they sound so good. I can switch between the head unit and the external amp and really can't tell the difference (so I'm pretty sure it's not the amp). These speakers pound so hard without distortion you can feel the pressure (wind?) on the side of your legs. Most my friends think I have a sub woofer somewhere.
That doesn't sound like the 5.25" JL Audio speaker I tested. Maybe you do have the 6.5" version. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:04 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just curious which focal component that's being used............
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Baj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Hey Baj - welcome to the Rennlist 993 forum.

Having fitted many speakers in a 933 can you share with us your prefered speakers for the 933s HiFi speaker system option?

If you recall the HiFi options front doors have a 130mm 4ohm speaker in a port tuned low freqency enclosure, in addition to a 3" 6ohm full range speaker (often refered to as a mid-range speaker). And lastly a door pannel, pod mounted, tweeter get its signal from the 3" full range speaker's signal with a capacitor in-line for protection.

The underseat located amplifier and active crossover feeds the Low Frequency leg up to 500hz and the full spectrum signal leg is a proper 20hz to 20khz.

Again, what has been your experience when replacing these specific speakers?
Thanks for the welcome.
I have had a bit more experience on the non hifi option but have done a few cars with the hifi option.
So from the above the 3" is playing full range from 20hz to 20khz.
Should it not run from 500hz up. If not I would put some sort of xover on it.

I am running Focal KRX2 with a JL Audio 8W3 sub in the glove box running from a JL Audio 900/5. Even without the sub I get very good kick and sounds very clean. The sub is just there to fill in the lows below 50Hz at a 12db slope and does a great job.
For the hifi option it depends on if you are using the factory amp. If you are you need low power speakers around 50watts. It is never good to underpowered a speaker. Hertz do good speakers that will sound good in the original pods. If you go down the route of changing the amp and fit more powerfully speakers you will find the pods internal volume is a little small and will give you mid heavy sound and also resonates the door panel which will give even more mid. This can be improved by stuffing the Pod with Polyfill (the stuff pillows and toys are filled with) I'm not sure of the internal volume of the pod but you need about 16oz per Cubic foot. This will make the speaker think the pod is bigger than it is and give much cleaner bass response.
The brands I have tried and had good results are
1 Focal
2 JL Audio
3 Hertz
4 Audison.

Just a few tips on getting better sound from a 993.
Mount the speakers to a solid base. Dynamat the door pod to make it a bit more dense.
Fill pod with polyfill.
Turn off the loudness on the stereo
While setting up you system start with all you bass and treble at zero, use the volume to get the mid at the volume you want and then add or reduce the bass and treble to suite (yes you can turn them down. Lol)
Use a good quality cd recording to setup your system, don't use the radio or mp3 disks or players. Dont use compilation CDs as these are normaly compressed to get more tracks on the cd
If you do the above you can get ok results from the factory speakers.

If you after sound quality I would disconnect the rear speakers as they pull the sound stage to the rear of the car. I also think a sub really helps for sound quality, it's not there to set off car alarms or rattle the car to bits it's there for filling. If you have a surround sound system at home try turning of the sub
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I installed the JL Audio speakers a couple of weeks ago and noticed a nice improvement. I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't matter all that much to me -- but the sound is definitely improved.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Baj
Intermediate

Here is a pic of the sub box I made to replace my glovebox.
Ignore the colour of the lower dash section and the wires hanging out the bottom of the dash as the pic was taken with a spare dash section while I was building the box. The install is 100% reversible if I ever want to take it out.

Just again if changing your speakers I can't recommend filling the hifi pods with polyfill enough, very cheap from Walmart and a big improvement.
Non hifi option fix the speaker to the metal of the door.
Attached Images     
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

BAJ - Very impressive and nice use of space allocated.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Optional HiFi speaker system - enhancements ..

Originally Posted by Baj
Here is a pic of the sub box ..
Baj -
Luv the creativity! Now yer talking & entirely stealth.... and its 100% reverseable. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. If you don't mind I'd like to share your 993 sub/glovebox install with a few professional mobile audio installer's on a web site http://www.diymobileaudio.com . those guys will applaude the effort! Are you using the P-99RS as a head unit? Herculean DSP signal control the P-99RS.

Gotta zooom for now.... a little later on the enhancement to the stock HiFi option on the 933 (911) car. Gotta zoom.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Baj
Intermediate

At the moment I am using an Alpine 7998. This will be changed to something that will fit in the dash a bit better. I might go for a p-99rs but I have got my eye on Mcintosh head unit.
Mike, by all means you can post the pics of the box. I have pics of the complete build if you need them. If you do post them could you PM me a link to the post please.
The glove box (front kick area) was the best position I found for the sub. I tried behind the front seats and on the back seat, but both these positions it felt like the seat was being kicked from behind.
Blends very well with the fronts now too
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Pioneer DEX P99RS head unit in a 993

Baj -
For a few pictures of a Pioneer DEX P99RS head unit in our 993 cars do a Rennlist search using this thread text; "HiFi - Dynaudio - DEX P99RS head unit - pictures". The pic's are of my 993s interior.
The P99RS asthetic fits the our old sckool dash pretty well - although not the established appearence of the OEM radio I'll give ya that.

I'll PM you my mail address for the complete "build" pic's. Once completed the link I'll get to you.
What a cleaver sub-bass solution where its not kicking the seat backs.. ! Priceless.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,
Just received my Dyno' 3" midrange. Have to cut off the VW connector which leaves a black and a black/white wire. Do I assume the former is negative and the latter positive?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Baj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Mike,
Just received my Dyno' 3" midrange. Have to cut off the VW connector which leaves a black and a black/white wire. Do I assume the former is negative and the latter positive?
To be sure you could connect a small battery to the speaker, a AA or AAA battery normaly works great.
When you get the wires the the correct way around the speaker cone should move out, if it move in the wires are the wrong way around
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Mike,
The white striped lead is + positive if I recall.

Like Baj ^^ mentioned, take a 9v transistor or other battery and momentarly connect the two leads to the speaker, when the initial connection is made, which ever wire is on the batteries + terminal as the the speaker cone moves outwards is the + lead. When the leads are reversed the speaker cone will move inwards.

Do me a favor, after the 2 new each door speakers are installed, listen to the stereo system without the speaker grill / carpet covers on. The grills mask or muffle the sound stage efforts (audio output) a great deal. I'm working on an elegant DIY solution as we speak.

Good luck, I'm anxious to know you're thoughts with the Dynaudio 3" mid in the system. Go easy with the level as the signal to the OEM 3" speaker is full bandwith; the HiFi options Nokia external amplifer doesn't have enough output power to effect damage. As with the OEM 3" speaker, the frequency roll off will happen naturally on the low end and on the high end,,, above 4Khz or so.

The CDR-210 units bass tone control is centered on 100hz, prolly + or - in 2db increments or so. The loudness contour can go either way...mine is OFF.
The system really would benefit from proper EQ, crossover slopes and modern amplification,,, but were not there yet.
Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
wmetais
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another 993 speaker option

For all of you who just want an alternative to the front door junk Nokias but don't want to spend a fortune upgrading your entire system, I found a "comfortable" solution for replacement. Keeping in mind, these are only a replacement for the lack-luster sound on a non-hifi 993, for about $60.00 or so, buy a pair of Infinity Reference 4032cf, 4" two-way loudspeakers. Remove present stock Nokias, cut the trim ring away from the speaker cones and magnet. Drill holes in the trim ring, ( the one that the stock grill snaps onto), get spacers and bolts at your local hardware store and mount the 4" Infinitys onto this ring. Once mounted install entire unit back into door panel. Voila! The stock grills just snap back onto the old speaker rings. I used a lot of foam to take up the small gap around the 4" drivers and the old trim ring and also used foam in the door to help dampen the sound. Although this is only a "bandaid", when it comes to improving the system, I find that it's a significant improvement over the original setup with the Nokias. Yes, the drivers are smaller, but I like the improvement in sound and they still look stock. Since I didn't want to spend the "big bucks", this will get me by, 'til I am ready to cough up the dollars to do a complete system upgrade.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:23 PM
user 6108123
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
FWIW, I installed the JL Audio speakers a couple of weeks ago and noticed a nice improvement. I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't matter all that much to me -- but the sound is definitely improved.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm in the process of replacing the stock OEM component speakers on my hi-fi optioned 993. I did a lot of research and thread scanning and decided to keep the OEM component mid & tweeter, but replace the 5.25" speaker with the JL Audio C5-525 (I want everything to remain as stock as possible). The rest of my system is completely stock (stock amp and becker cdr-210 head)
My questions are; since the Dynaudio VW 3" mid is virtually impossible to find these days, has anyone found a new option for the mid-replacement?
And secondly, I'm a bit disappointed in the sound coming from the 5.25" JL Audio speakers, it's muddled and unrefined. Did I do something wrong on the install? I can't imagine I did, just swapped out the speakers one for one? Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something??
Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Replacement