Sponsored by:

C4S v TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Jon93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4S v TT

What would be the differences between a 993 C4S and a turbo, for a daily driver?
Is the turbo as suitable? I currently have a C4S, which I like alot, but it feels a bit underpowered when you want to drive more quickly. My daily driving is a mix of slow moving traffic and highway.
I know a discussion had been done on the TT forum about use as a DD, but it was not in comparison to a NA 993. Cheers!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon,

I've owned 4, 2 N/A, 2 TT. I live in Colorado, and it's not stop and go. To that point, to get the Turbos to kick in at my altitude, you nearly have to be in 2nd gear and 3000-3500 RPM. My drive to work used to be hoot because I could get that rush from the turbos kicking in and was always a blast. (I work from home now

So if you live in San Diego, stop and go, it may not be the best commuter car. If you have some open roads, it can make driving to work something you look forward to again.

Sounds like you may be in a situation where you have open HWY driving...? If so, a TT is a ton of fun. If very little, maybe LWF and a FDM short shifter will give you a nice boost at a fraction of the cost. Something to consider.

HTHs,
Tony

Last edited by DALLWA; 09-08-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Jon93
Intermediate

So is there much ( or any difference) in driving at slow speeds. Sorry to ask stupid questions. Ideally id test drive a TT, but none around in my neck of the woods.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I honestly can't think of any downsides to daily-driving a 993TT versus a normally aspirated 993. It is just such a hoot when you do have the opportunity to nail it.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 288 Posts

I went from 2 previous C4S's to a tt. Slow speeds are very similar & the tt seems to be every bit as docile around town or in traffic as my previous C4S's were; but.... The tt is a monster compared to the C4S.

Judging from my 6 months of tt ownership I think it would be a great DD car if you buy a good example & maintain it with an enthusiasts outlook. That said, I've never had any of my 993's in serious traffic conditions, so my opinion is from an enthusiasts point of view.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

+1....ca995twin
Old 09-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

How about exactly the same, but with 130 MORE HP!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I only have one issue with my Turbo as a DD - the cool down cycle. Its a total pain in the butt to sit in the car idling for 30 seconds to two minutes in order to make sure you have the turbos cooled down as well as possible. You do not not come to stop, idle for a few seconds and shut the car off -> my town has a bylaw of "no idling" and I am sure one day some cop will come up to me and try to fine me for sitting waiting for the turbos to cool down.

These cars definitely have more thermal mass and hold heat after shutting down > I noticed the ECU is triggering the fan in the engine bay way more than on my naturally aspirated 993, sometimes so much I wonder if I should carry jumper cables.

Oh, another once - the TT really SUCKS fuel - I mean be prepared for major fuel consumption, so if you rack miles as a DD, be prepared for increased fuel expenses.

However, when you hit that throttle -> PRICELESS!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Jon93
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies.

I havent heard that about cooling down the turbos prior to shut off- interesting. What about start up? Is idle required, or just allow the oil to heat up in the same way as NA cars?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

you don't need to let it warm up.

You let it idle before shutdown to let the turbos cool off so that you don't coke the oil in the turbo cartridge.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 183 Posts

30-sec no big deal, use it to turn off accessories, close up windows, undo seatbelt, grab things to take with you (book bag, etc.), enjoy the sound of an air cooled flat six.

Make it a challenge. For example:

My final segment of my drive home allows me to coast down the road and into my driveway (Garp esque) so even less than 30-seconds :-)

So TT and don't look back (except to back out of the garage).
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I love my C4S for daily driving. Plenty of power. A turbo would be higher on the wow factor but by no means over powered.

Both great cars for daily use however it comes down to your budget and fuel mileage requirements.

HOWEVER, for stop and go traffic you want a tiptronic which means Carrera 2.

Im looking for one now....

Last edited by tcsracing1; 09-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The hydraulically assisted clutch in the TT makes stop and go driving a breeze. Even at my advanced age, I would never consider an automatic transmission for any car I own.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I only have one issue with my Turbo as a DD - the cool down cycle. Its a total pain in the butt to sit in the car idling for 30 seconds to two minutes in order to make sure you have the turbos cooled down as well as possible. You do not not come to stop, idle for a few seconds and shut the car off -> my town has a bylaw of "no idling" and I am sure one day some cop will come up to me and try to fine me for sitting waiting for the turbos to cool down.

These cars definitely have more thermal mass and hold heat after shutting down > I noticed the ECU is triggering the fan in the engine bay way more than on my naturally aspirated 993, sometimes so much I wonder if I should carry jumper cables.

Oh, another once - the TT really SUCKS fuel - I mean be prepared for major fuel consumption, so if you rack miles as a DD, be prepared for increased fuel expenses.

However, when you hit that throttle -> PRICELESS!

Cheers,

Mike
Is there a recommendation to let an NA car cool down as well? I'm amazed at how long my motor gives off heat even after a relatively short drive. I tend to leave the wing up to let the hot air dissipate a little easier, but I have no idea whether that makes any difference at all. Without the turbos to deal with, I'm thinking the cool down process is not nearly as important on an NA car, but I was just curious.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard of one, only for cooling down the turbos specifically.

Quick Reply: C4S v TT