Notices

993 RS Steering Wheel Installed - wiring photos

Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 PM
71-3.0-911
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
Whats the difference between a 2.8 ohm vs 2.8k ohm resistor? Are they the same thing? Having a hard time finding a 2.8 ohm 1/4 watt resistor online.
If anyone has extra plugs like Chuck had above^. I would purchase them from you. Thanks!
PM me your address. I've got about 75 of them left. Had to buy 100 resistors when I did mine. I'll send you some for free.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 PM
911F1
User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^PM sent. Thanks! If anyone has the clock spring plugs for purchase let me know. Or a broken clock spring.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 AM
Pmac996
New User

Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
A HUGE thanks to Tosi for this great install thread! I purchased a cup steering wheel from Gert at Carnewal. Gert has a really great kit specifically designed for our 993's. Gert was kind enough to email some installation instructions, but this install thread really made it all clear. So clear, in fact, that I opted to do the install at my local wrench's shop so he could help with the wiring and make sure I didn't screw up. A big thanks to Bill P. at Eurotech.

I'm posting a few pics of the install below, but there isn't much I can add to this great thread. I highly recommend the kit from Carnewal, and a careful read through this thread. All the kit from Carnewal lacks is the connector for pin 71. You also need to harvest wire connectors from a clock spring - your clock spring or someone else's. If you're planning this install, I would also suggest purchasing the 964 steering column covers for better fit and finish. Part nos. 96455227301 and 96455227503. I'm still waiting for those parts, so I will have to reinstall the wheel again.

The feel of the steering wheel is incredible, and the extension and smaller circumference is also a big bonus for us tall guys. If you're running with harnesses and don't need and airbag, I would highly recommend this mod.

Note pin 71 is not populated

Resistor to fool airbag diagnostic

Pin 71 is now populated.

It takes a little force to snap the ground into pin 71

Wheel installed (And a sneak preview of the Tillet seats!)
Nice job! Iíve fitted a Momo Prototipo to my 1999 C4. Looks and feels great, managed to sort the airbag issue by fitting a resistor kit (thought that would be the hard bit!), but Iím having trouble with the horn (thought would be the easy bit!). Just used the brown/striped wire connected to the L shaped connector which connects to the brass ring on the bottom of the boss, and put a bit of tape over the brown (only) wire. Horn works when car off and key removed, but not when key inserted and car on? Any idea where Iíve gone wrong?
Apologies for crashing the 993 forum, one day😍
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM
LimeyBoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been fondling my new RS wheel for 24 hours now since it was delivered, lovely. Now for the install...

To those that have done this mod, I'd just like to clear something up that my simple brain is struggling with. For the airbag resistor, is it correct that there are three possible methods:
1 - Cut into the wiring to install the resistor
2 - Purchase new orange / red plastic connectors - either salvage yard or buy a new clockspring assembly to harvest from ($ouch). Use to create resistor connection/jumper without having to cut wires.
3 - Purchase a 928-612-220-00 and plug it in. This will also turn off the passenger airbag.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2019, 03:39 PM
quacktoduck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy View Post
I've been fondling my new RS wheel for 24 hours now since it was delivered, lovely. Now for the install...

To those that have done this mod, I'd just like to clear something up that my simple brain is struggling with. For the airbag resistor, is it correct that there are three possible methods:
1 - Cut into the wiring to install the resistor
2 - Purchase new orange / red plastic connectors - either salvage yard or buy a new clockspring assembly to harvest from ($ouch). Use to create resistor connection/jumper without having to cut wires.
3 - Purchase a 928-612-220-00 and plug it in. This will also turn off the passenger airbag.

Cheers
1/2 are correct.

don't know about #3

i have bought clock springs to make into kits in the past for friends. 996/993 have the same clock spring i believe you can use the 964 too for the airbag connector but it lacks the horn connector.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM
samurai_k
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone needs a resistor, I have a few left over from when I did this conversion.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 PM
911F1
User

Does anyone know what it takes to remove the passenger side airbag. Same resistor?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 AM
LimeyBoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
1/2 are correct.

don't know about #3
Originally Posted by 911F1 View Post
Does anyone know what it takes to remove the passenger side airbag. Same resistor?
I think I will buy a 928-612-220-00 and have a play. There is not much info i have found about it- but as delivered, it should disable both driver and passenger, and I am wondering if a small mod would mean it would be possible to only disable the driver, while remaining plug and play.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:46 PM
911F1
User

^I'm not sure 928-612-220-00 will work on the 993.
I did the resistor and clock spring plug for the steering wheel. It worked out great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 RS Steering Wheel Installed - wiring photos

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: