Sponsored by:

993 RS Steering Wheel Installed - wiring photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 11:30 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

no worries...I just bent the legs of the resistor on themselves to create a "U" shape and plugged it in the airbag plug (then taped it up). I bought a used/broken clockspring from DC Auto and scavenged the plugs. Used one of them to solder a wire extension to the clip for hole 71(?) for the horn. No cutting on the original clockspring plugs for anyone's future use. actually, used this thread and a thread on the 964 site where I learned about using the direct plugin route for the resistor.

Works like a charm.

Marc
Old 05-10-2022, 08:09 AM
NB 993
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
no worries...I just bent the legs of the resistor on themselves to create a "U" shape and plugged it in the airbag plug (then taped it up). I bought a used/broken clockspring from DC Auto and scavenged the plugs. Used one of them to solder a wire extension to the clip for hole 71(?) for the horn. No cutting on the original clockspring plugs for anyone's future use. actually, used this thread and a thread on the 964 site where I learned about using the direct plugin route for the resistor.

Works like a charm.

Marc
Thank you Marc. Just ordered a clockspring from ebay. $65 for a plastic piece is a painful drop in the bucket! Haha

this is a great video if anyone is interested.
https://youtu.be/YHZFz1M5rDE

Last edited by NB 993; 05-10-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:32 PM
jbutzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If one is not concerned about reversibility, can you just use the parts in the car vs. getting another clock spring to scavenge parts?
Old 07-23-2022, 04:49 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes...you can use the existing clock-spring wires.

an interesting aside...took the car out last weekend and the airbag light was on. I'll have to get back in there are figure out why.

Marc
Old 07-25-2022, 10:26 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
an interesting aside...took the car out last weekend and the airbag light was on. I'll have to get back in there are figure out why.

Marc
I've noticed this as well recently, the light sometimes illuminates upon starting the car then clears on its own after a few minutes of driving.

Wonder if some other components in the airbag controller have degraded over time and 2.7ohms is now on the verge of passing or failing the internal diagnostic threshold. Or, one of the other sensors or the controller itself is starting to fail. I need to remember to bring my laptop & durametric cable along next time I take the car for a spin.

Anyone with an airbag still installed seeing an occasional warning light?
Old 07-31-2022, 05:37 PM
jbutzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I got this far but have a couple questions: (I am trying to do this without buying a new clockspring or cutting into the old one)
1. Please confirm the the clockspring in my hand is not reinstalled.
2. I am going to install my 3.0 ohm resistor directly into the airbag connector as some have done on the 964 forum, but can I also connect 9 (solder) a wire for pin 71 into the horn connector?
3. Do I need to add a ground wire anywhere?
4. Any problem in that I have two orange connectors and not one orange and one red?

Last edited by jbutzi; 07-31-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:57 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

well...I don't think you can do this without either cutting the connectors from your existing clockspring, or purchase a used one from one of the parts shops (DC Auto www,dcauto.com) and cut the connectors off.
I can't say about soldering a wire into the 71 pin. I would assume that wouldn't work without the male end and my soldering skills leave a lot to be desired.
Not sure about the ground wire either (say buddy, not very helpful here ), but I didn't put a ground wire in. Maybe the ground runs through the connectors?
...and last but not least, I'm sure there's a difference. I can't imagine Porsche not having a specific part for a specific function.

Hopefully some of the more skilled guys (or gals) can chime in to answer your questions better than I (I'm more of a driver than a mechanic )

Marc
Old 08-01-2022, 01:07 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jbutzi
Glad I got this far but have a couple questions: (I am trying to do this without buying a new clockspring or cutting into the old one)
1. Please confirm the the clockspring in my hand is not reinstalled.
2. I am going to install my 3.0 ohm resistor directly into the airbag connector as some have done on the 964 forum, but can I also connect 9 (solder) a wire for pin 71 into the horn connector?
3. Do I need to add a ground wire anywhere?
4. Any problem in that I have two orange connectors and not one orange and one red?
1. Correct
2 - 4, see post #1
Old 12-17-2022, 11:24 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 236 Posts

Just a heads up, and hopefully not a re-post. If you guys weren't aware, the Momo/Porsche Cup steering wheels are once again available from the Porsche Classic catalogue.
They're only available in black leather, NOT alcantara. They're available either in all black (black leather/black stitching) or with black leather/red stitching and red 12 0' clock marker. They're supplied complete with a Momo Porsche crest horn push.

Part No (black) PCG34708410

Part No (red) PCG 34708420

Red :

Black :

Last edited by Atgani; 12-17-2022 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RDS928S (01-17-2024)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:48 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Indeed. Just installed mine today. (Still waiting for the 964 trim surround peices to arrive from Germany)

Last edited by ninjabones; 12-17-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:55 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Some observations from my install.

it is possible to use the stock orange connectors without sacrificing your stock harness. The pins can be removed easily with molex pin extractor.

unfortunately, however, I couldn’t really find the exact pin for this application on the Mouser catalog. It’s definitely size 16, but the pin is way longer than anything in their catalogue. I ordered something close, but it didn’t work. If someone can identify this pin, it would be relatively easy to just reuse the connectors and preserve the stock wires.

here’s my airbag resistor, horn harness, and seatbelt jumper.

Last edited by ninjabones; 12-17-2022 at 02:03 PM.
ToSi (12-17-2022)
Old 02-05-2023, 12:28 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

If anyone is looking to do this on their 993, I have a plug and play set up removed from my 993 listed in the classified section.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1334667

Old 03-30-2023, 01:28 PM
Veryverysideways

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you

[QUOTE=ToSi;9056654]Took a few pictures while installing a new 993RS steering wheel this weekend. While I was able to find plenty of threads & general info about the wheel/hub, the wiring bits weren't documented so well & lead to a few surprises.. hopefully these help someone else.

The clockspring connectors are interchangeable between 993 / 996 / 986 Boxster. Ordering the wheel from Carnewal gets you the wheel/hub (duh), horn contact plug/pin, & the 2.8ohm resistor.

Part#'s:
Wheel + Hub assembly: 993-347-084-80-8YR
Horn switch contact: 964-652-104-00
Airbag connectors: tbd
Pin for turn signal switch connector: 999.652.639.22 (Identified by Cupcar here -> https://rennlist.com/forums/9314265-post1.html)

Before we begin, some disclaimers are necessary due to the sensitive subject matter of defeating a supplemental restraint system:
1) By opening this post, you agree to hold the author (me!) completely non-liable for any consequences you incur (or do not incur) as a result of this post.
2) You fully understand the implications and bear the burden of removing an airbag from a vehicle, should you choose to & will not look to blame someone else (especially me) for an undesirable consequence of your actions.
3) You read this on the internet. If something goes wrong, think of how stupid you'll sound when you proclaim to your spouse, significant other, parol officer, parents etc.. 'but I read it on the internet'. Say it out loud now, in the presence of another human to convince yourself how silly this excuse sounds.
4) Your car wants you to die & will try to kill you whenever it gets an opportunity to do so. It is dangerous by nature. Do not assume that because you've named it & have 'love' for it that this isn't true. You're the frog to Porsche's scorpion here..

Disconnect the battery, wait for good measure, then remove steering wheel (covered elsewhere, here's a good link -> https://rennlist.com/forums/8877053-post1.html):

Loosen this 8mm bolt to free the switch assembly:

Wiring bundle happily tied back for ~15yrs:

Taking a closer look, later cars (9*6) will have one orange, one red connector - they are interchangeable:

p/n 964.652.104.00

Presses in from the front:

& pokes through the switch..

adding another pin (#71) to the rear:

Problem is that this pin isn't populated in the mating connector since the horn circuit is carried through the clockspring in airbag equipped cars (photo upside down, look at the upper left cavity in the connector):

Opening the connector & viewing from the backside:

Goals -
1) populate Pin71 (Horn circuit) & provide connection to horn circuit in 'OEM-like' manner. ** P/N for Pin 71 is 999.652.639.22 **
2) Fool airbag diagnostics to prevent fault code / warning light.

Rules -
1) do no harm - no cutting of underdash harness or hokey wiring that can fail, short, or cause future headaches.

Solutions -
1) obtain mating connectors from Porsche salvage yard (Oklahoma Foreign was accommodating & helpful)
2) obtain 2.8ohm resistor to mimic airbag
3) make jumper harnesses as below:

Parts:

Airbag control module diagnostic foolery:

Horn wiring jumper harness (brown-only wire is the original ground, don't have the correct tools to de-pin these yet so it will wait as is):

Soldered & heat shrinked (use a glob of liquid electrical tape underneath heatshrink to keep moisture out):

Pin71 again - if you'd rather be 'creative', splice Pin71 to the brown wire w/ white stripe via any means possible. You've been warned though..

Populated into connector:

From the mating side:

plugged in (brown-only wire is the original ground, don't have the correct tools to de-pin these yet so it will wait as is):

Loosely secured with zip-tie:

Installation is the reverse of removal:

Column shrouds / trim reattached (replace with 964 parts for improved fit / finish - not pictured)

Horn contact rides along slip ring to complete horn circuit (wheel is upside down in photo, black tab must be on left side to install)

Adjust switch assembly to ensure contact to slip ring on hub (gently pull toward you until it touches the back of the wheel / hub), view from top:

Tighten 8mm bolt:

Attach connectors on backside of horn pad:

Test the horn!
(vid goes here)

Behold, a proper 3-spoke wheel:

Order 964 trim pieces to avoid gap w/ 993 steering column trim:
Wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I fitted the momo to my 993 in about two hours (having pre created the airbag and horn attachments from a scrap yard boxster set up). Appreciate the help and the forum very much.

Nick

Boxster donation

Slight panic at this stage

Complete with 964 steering column as suggested.
LimeyBoy (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 02:20 PM
jmrdmd
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi All

Great thread!!

I got my 993 RS wheel from Gert Carnewal. Excellent product!

It’s installed but I cannot get the leather covered center section to snap on.

Any tips?

Thanks

Jan
Old 08-19-2023, 02:36 PM
jmrdmd
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 64 Posts

Okay I could not wait and I gently “persuaded” it on with a pry tool.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks again to all who contributed!

Best

Jan

2mAn (08-21-2023)

Quick Reply: 993 RS Steering Wheel Installed - wiring photos