Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 552 Likes on 375 Posts

Well, it looks like Oliver (Quadcammer) had "love" for something Porsche at one time....

Post from 11-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Looking into a 95-98 C2 or C4, complete newb here
Hi everyone,
I've been strongly considering selling my supercharged 1999 650rwhp mustang cobra vert, in order to purchase a 95-98 carerra. If I ask questions that have been previously covered, I apologize.

Basic background on me: 23, have a good career in financial services, live in northern NJ, and have always loved the air cooled flat six.

So, on with the questions:

1. What kind of price range is reasonable for a 95-98 C2 with between 30k and 70k miles? How about a C4?

2. Things to look out for. I understand the engines burn quite a bit of oil by design, but are there any trouble spots to look out for?

3. Are the drivelines fairly sturdy? What type of clutch issues might I face at the aforementioned mileage?

4. Recommended PPI shops in northern NJ?

5. Is the 4wd system of the C4 well proven? From what I remember it was one of the first p-cars with awd.

6. Overall, how has your ownership experience been? Would you do it again?

I greatly appreciate all your help, and sorry for the newb questions.

Oh, and finally, anybody have a black one with a tan interior and a 6 speed they want to sell?

thanks,

Oliver
Happy thanksgiving to all those that love...err, "enjoy" their cars.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ Mmm, mm. Gotta love the 'permanence' of the internet record ... ;-)
Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

An animal is a living breathing thing. While I think there are pet owners who take the personification of their animals way too far, I can at least understand the appeal.

My comprehension appears to be impeccable. You name your cars (still not sure why), but you don't name your tv or office chair. Since they are inanimate objects, why do you personify one but not the other? Surely your office chair has a tinge of jealousy, no?
Again, maybe you'll mature at some point.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Office chairs, blenders, televisions sets aren't ever able to really transcend being items of pure utility.

A Porsche, while it could just be a form of transportation, can transcend just pure utility. Set up an open road of twisties, no traffic, and a dry road and let any of us go let the horses run free. I'd bet at that moment when you're running through the gears, hearing the engine, and taking it all in...you've got a pretty big smile on your face (or you're outright laughing) and it's then that the car has moved beyond just being a car. It's no longer purely an object of utility because we've developed a type of connection with the thing that makes us feel pretty good....maybe even happy and excited. Weird...I just connected emotions with an inanimate object...hmmm.....

It's been awhile since my blender did that for me.

p.s...Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-24-2011, 03:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Made my money the old fashion way.I stole it.As per the 1994 "Sales Reference Guide" Porsche has the "owner segmentation" broken down into five buyer types:"Top Guns","Proud Patrons","Fantasists","Bon Vivants" and "Elitists".Top Guns are intense,driven individuals who buy because they want an elite racing machine.Proud Patrons enjoy the recognition they get through simple Porsche ownership,but not from driving.Fantasists especially enjoy the car for themselves,having little interest in trying to impress others.Bon Vivants represent the 'jet-setter' orientation,enjoying the 'sexy' image of driving a Porsche.Lastly,Elitists reject the stereotypical Porsche driver image and are extremely well-to-do,old money,blue blood individuals that view a Porsche as just a car,nothing more.These are all quotes from a guide given to US salesmen in 1994 to help them size up customers.The guide also states that "Porsche customers will cross over several of these groups".
Seriously? Have I known this I would not buy a car from these morons.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Hey ... have I mentioned I LOVE my stove? It's name is 'The Wolf' ;-) It's an old Wolf from the 60's ... it's got a griddle! and when the burners and oven ignite with god-knows-how-many BTU's ... it's a REAL thing of beauty!! "Wooosh" they go .. :-) Water boils in about 4 minutes ...
It's become the real center of the house .. everybody hangs around it like an old friend .. did I mention it has a GRIDDLE! So emotional about my griddle ... I had it 'resurfaced' at a machine shop that specializes in drivelines for hotrods. They're VERY passionate about their work. Came out like a piece of jewlery. I made pancakes on it last night for dinner ..

A friend gave it to me because he took it apart and then measured the space in his kitchen ..36" stove, 30" space .. doh! so, it sat in his yard and rusted .. until I saved it. I cleaned off the rust with Naval Jelly. Here's what it looked like when I started ... so sad, poor little Wolfy ..

Did I mention that Darin Fister hand prepped the front facia that sits under the ***** and sent it out for clear powder coat where he gets the mufflers cermachromed? I need a 'Facia by Fister' sticker ....

Oh, and then I brought it to an Auto Body shop that does custom hot-rod work and had them prep and shoot the body in Black Imron .. they even removed the Wolf head logo and restored that as well ...

A few parts for the burners and jets from the still functioning Wolf parts house mail order place and Voila!

The best thing about it is it's authentic. It REALLY does what a stove should do ... not like the poseur appliance it replaced ... I think it was made in Korea or something ...

Oh ... am I off topic here? Sorry .... I get so emotional about stuff sometimes ..
Old 11-24-2011, 03:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ande makes a very interesting and salient point a couple pages ago. I believe I own a 993 as a daily driver because it offers an escape from mundane Camrys and Accords. Some own BMWs and Benzes for that purpose, I find them mundane and pedestrian as well, although BMW is at least trying.

So I want some amount of enjoyment out of the process of getting myself from place to place. Especially in the past few years that I don;t have to go anywhere daily if I don't feel like it. But looking back at the past 23 years since I've bought my first sports car, my daily drivers had been an RX-7, a gaggle of MR2s, a Miata before it become really a non-street car, a pair of 993s and some BMWs thrown in here and in Europe. Other cars had come and gone. These not only remain daily drivers, but, obviously, have been bought in duplicates and triplicates. So at the very least I'm pretty loyal to what I like. Unlinke the "lovers" here who seem to flip their "love" every few years.

I've spent a few days with Andreas this year and we've discussed this a bit. I can clearly see that the man is fascinated with mechanical workings of the car. As well as keeping it in certain shape (referred to as "dang beetle" or "POS"). Does he name it? Not really. Does he love it? I think so. And I consider it completely normal. Well, as normal as Andreas could be for those who know him.

In a Thanksgiving state of mind, I have to say that I'm extremely thankful that I can actually have a car. That I can have a car that sometimes stirs some emotion in me when I drive it and when I look at it as an automotive and somewhat historic sculpture. I don't love the car. I appreciate what it affords me in this very sense - some emotional involvement into what otherwise would be an extremely boring process. As I said, I veiw my mechanical watch collection and my new espresso machine in a very similar way. Anachronisms that they all are. Oh, the espresso machine is also shiny and, being Italian, much bitchier than a 993.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Why would I be in the closet about loving my car? If I made a long winded post about how marvelous it was (ahem), I'd probably get as much attention and have everyone wanting to shake my hand on here.
It felt really good to share the love of my car and ownership, Oliver. Wishing you the same.

I think it's time to check out of this thread and head to the lighter side...

Oh, one more parting shot...My Porsche is not the first car I have been passionate about. Here is the day in 2004 that I sold my Saab Turbo.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2011, 04:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are only two happy days in Saab's owner's life. The day you buy the car and the day you finally manage to sell it.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nile13
There are only two happy days in Saab's owner's life. The day you buy the car and the day you finally manage to sell it.
No Mike, that's a boat. I'm sure of it .. or maybe a horse .. no, it's a boat.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I confess to having serious separation anxiety if Rufus is not parked safely in my garage.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excepts from Christophorus interview #352 that seemed apropos given this "hot" topic.

CHRISTOPHORUS
Pure. Passion. Performance.
Porsche.

Duotorial Identity

Jey Leno: Some cars are merely cars. But to me, a Porsche is far more than that. How do you do it Mr. Muller?

Mattias Muller: Each and every Porsche not only has its own identity; it has its own soul as well. Whenever I sit in a Porsche, I feel the product, I experience the product. The 911 is a good example of what I mean, because driving a 911 is different from driving any other car. I believe you'd be hard pressed to find another company, so distinctive, and so appealing.

JL: To me, the Porsche brand is an icon. etc...

later in the same interview
-------------------------------------

JL: I do beieve an automobile can confer an identity on the person who drives it. On my TV show Leno's Garage, I am often asked, "Jay, what sports car should I buy to make a great impression on women?" Well, that's a question I can't answer, because I buy my cars for myself alone, not for anyone else. It's comparable to my fascination with mechanical wristwatches. I love listening to the clicking of the gears, sensing the balance of the car. I need the feeling that I get when I hold fast to the steering wheel. To me, that is a lived identity.

MM: An intersting thought. Till now, character traits were something I associated with people rather than companies or cars. I see Porsche as a very driven identity, proud, very familial, with a swabian flair, and with a high degree of social competence.

JL: You can see that in the automobiles. I own a 911 from 1963 and a CGT built in 2005....

MM: Yes, that is what I mean by a "Porsche feeling". The bottom line is engineering that can be really sensed and experienced. Not engineering for engineering's sake, not at all; engineering for the feeling that you get when you drive a Porsche. I recently drove the Mille Miglia in a 550 Spyder. That was authentic, tryly puristic. Engaging gears, pure mechanics, and then a burst of power as the engine and gear transmission merge, as energy unfurls and is expressed in sound.

That gives me goose bumps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

discuss

Hope you all (in the US) have a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some are passionate about wine, some about food. Some hold affection for their animals, some for the house that they've made their home. Who are we do question another man's "love" for something? Whether it's the experience of driving we love, the effect that the machine has on our senses of hearing or touch, or just the appreciation we hold for the design of said machine, Porsche stirs something in our souls, or we would not even be here. Personally, I'm a design guy. I love all examples of the air-cooled evolution, from its birth as the People's Car, through to its final example of the species, the 993.

If Porsches are not a place you can find passion, I highly recommend finding something you can be passionate about. Life is way too short to make your way through it without passion.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great thread, really! And on Thankgiving, no less. Great timing indeed!

I've had three 993's, the first was a low mileage, for the most part, a garage queen. 993 #2 and #3 were higher mileage cars (100k and 130k respectively) and I must admit I have had so much more fun with the 'drivers' as the stress level with parking them, driving them and tracking them was SOOO much less.

I guess what this means to me is that, in the beginning, I wanted to obsess over the 993, I really couldnt as it was too stressful. I very much like and prefer the 993 to almost anything sports car related, just dont absolutely 'Love' my car.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

JP, I worked for the parent company of Wolf for many years-sold a lot of those ranges as well as their sister company's, Vulcan. That range should outlast you! Don't you just love it?!

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?