Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Well said goofball.
Now, I have to go look at my 993 and drool!
Please practice safe sex! Use protection.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Well said goofball. As much as I sometimes want to come back to this thread and argue a POV, you just made me realize that when I was in my late 20's I was WAY MORE of a work in progress than I would like to admit. Thanks for clearing the fog from the high road. I feel better...

Now, I have to go look at my 993 and drool!
You guys can't even imagine how I hit the scene at 18 with my newer-than-my-993s-are-now '68. Really, really, really glad there were no internet forums to preserve every misstep I took.

(Though there probably is some way to search the ancient predecessor of Rennlist, Stan Hank's Porschephiles, that I wandered into in the early '90s.)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
+1

Although I don't always agree with Quad, I also recognize that he's in his late 20s and is still a work in progress (as we all are). I, too, thought I knew all of life's answers as a young man.

Quad, I don't agree with you on this subject matter; it's clear you're pretty passionate about cars, whether you realize it or not.

I also think you have a pretty thick skin, seeing that this thread has become less of a discussion and more of a pecking party.

When you trade in all your enthusiast cars for a Toyota Camry, I'll grant that you're not passionate about great cars. Until then, you may hafta admit that you're a huge car nut with lots of passion for automobiles
well, not a bad post, but i hardly think I know all of life answers. That said, whether someone likes a car is hardly one of the biggest mysteries of life.

I think the thing I may be passionate about is arguing. Perhaps a career change is in order.

I guess I'll put all my emotion on my sleeve....I like my 993.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Group H U G.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Please practice safe sex! Use protection.
Just got a fresh coat of PS21

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

I guess I'll put all my emotion on my sleeve....I like my 993.
Woah there cowboy, aren't you going a little crazy now!?

One thing we can all agree on...just like we are all Americans no matter what news channel we listen to...(PLEASE, NO POLITICAL FOLLOW-UPS...this thread is stressed enough as it is!!!)...we all own Porsches and therefore must have a fair amount of love...oops, I mean appreciation for them.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned to not get emotional about my car after my civic was stolen. Once it was gone I was like meh. My friends were surprised that I wasn't as bummed out about it. That was the first time I rode my bike to work (13 miles). I never did anything more than a basic oil change on it. On the other hand I've put probably got more than a hundred hours of work on both the camaro and the Merc getting them to the point where they are at, I would miss them if they were gone, knowing how much sweat equity I put into them. I get emotional from the sense that I always look out the window or peek into the garage to look at the cars, they make me feel good but in the end, they are insured and if they are gone they are gone.

I find that driving a POS car is more memorable than driving a well maintained car. For example, my friend's VW golf without heat in the winter time. He would smoke cigarettes and the car would already be freezing, I'd be so mad about how cold it was. My cousin's Bronco 2 that we had to push start because the starter was bad. That truck ended up totaled at the bottom of a ravine on one push start attempt. It was nicknamed the poopmobile because a friend of his took a dump in it. You don't forget cars like that! I kind of want a POS for that reason. You miss cars like that. That's emotion.

On another point, I find that the camaro plays to my adolescent emotions of awesome sound, instant torque, etc. and the Porsche simply is not that kind of raw emotional car if you like that sort of thing (I do) which is why I can't find myself getting rid of the camaro. *Edit I mean the turbo is not that kind of car in stock form, I think a GT3 or other N/A Porsche would give me that same effect if I had one of those, turbo is way too quiet as is, the exhaust note doesn't do it for me at least inside the car* I see that some commented that you're in your 20's, I've got 2 years left myself before the big 30, I'd like to think age isn't a factor here. I think if you own more than one car as a pleasure vehicle, that is an emotional choice, wouldn't you agree? And you guys thought this thread was dead?!! NOH20, loving the group hug comment!

Last edited by uicnick; 12-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Emotional about a Civic being swiped?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Emotional about a Civic being swiped?
oh what, you can't get emotional about a civic? Only a porsche is worthy of emotion.

give me a break.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

oh what, you can't get emotional about a civic?
well, I do love another type of appliance...my fridge.

Cause it keeps my beer cold!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

oh what, you can't get emotional about a civic? Only a porsche is worthy of emotion.

give me a break.
Give me a break. I'd say a 993 warrants more "feelings" than a Civic/Camry/Altima etc, produced in much greater quantity. Your lack of comprehension is evident again.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Give me a break. I'd say a 993 warrants more "feelings" than a Civic/Camry/Altima etc, produced in much greater quantity. Your lack of comprehension is evident again.
My comprehension is once again sparking, its your idiotic statements that are lacking something, and that would be logic.

So a car that has been produced in greater quantities is somehow less worthy of emotion?

A 993 is in no way more deserving of emotion than any other inanimate object including a civic. In fact, if he spent the time to modify the civic by building the engine, adding a turbo, doing suspension mods, etc., I'd say it would be even more worthy than some run of the mill c2.

Ready for another round chump?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

So a car that has been produced in greater quantities is somehow less worthy of emotion?

A 993 is in no way more deserving of emotion than any other inanimate object including a civic. In fact, if he spent the time to modify the civic by building the engine, adding a turbo, doing suspension mods, etc., I'd say it would be even more worthy than some run of the mill c2.
Gotta say, I agree with this.

Also, maybe the emotion he was feeling about his Civic getting stolen was happiness?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

12 pages so far.....I think you got what you were looking for.

I'll admit conversing with my vehicles. I just stop listening when they tell me to get naked in the supermarket.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Mr. Moffat, please get your car to talk to a pair of good looking blonds immediately. I'll pay for their tickets to Boston. You'll get a cut from the tickets I'll sell to the resulting attraction.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

I knew a kid years ago who completely stripped out, and modified a 2 door civic Si. Just the driver seat, a HUGE tach in front of the steering wheel, a shift light, and a pedestal mount for a laptop in the pass side space-was all that was left in the interior. He ran slicks on the front, and the pass times at the local drag strip were VERY impressive indeed.

It was naturally lowered, even had a really nice wheelset when he wasn't interested in straight line only stuff. As a road car, it was a completely useless P.O.S.-nobody gave it a second look.

Isn't that the category that damn near EVERY civic, camry, etc...falls into-no second glances, because they simply blend into the herd of everything else?

Can't say that about any 993 can you? Even in the Porsche heavy parts of the country, wouldn't a 911 get more notice than a civic?

What other passionless hobbies do ya have, just curious?

Cause I love my car, I REALLY love my various bicycles, I love my XC ski's too. I even have a pair of really nice furry Solomon winter boots that I love. Don't get me started on my heavy fleece pullovers, or my tight fitting poly turtlenecks either.

Did I mention that I love beer too, oh yea...maybe in that previous appliance post I did.

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?