Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do love my car, and I was fairly protective when I first got it. My wife still hasn't driven it, but I do let others drive it, but only if I know them and trust them. I don't defend Porsches or 993s to extremes. I do beleive they are the best air cooled Porsche, but I also appreciate early cars and 997s for what they are. Ferraris and Lambos also have their place as excellent automobile engineering.
You may see more obsession, or passion among American pickup truck owners. There are Chevy guys and Ford guys. There are some who say there is only one true pickup worth owning and they will violently defend that position.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I also think there is a difference between appreciating something and becoming emotionally bonded.
+1

A good sports analogy: "It's like the difference between being a fan...and a fanatic"
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

I am not rich (monetarily), I love my family, friends, and my Cactuswagen. It is an obsession however I do drive it in the rain, at night, on trips, and I also drink coffee and eat in it. I love all cars.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I get pretty wrapped up in mine.

Same with my planes in the past (of course when you build something you are going to fly-you get attached), same with boats in the past, and my upcoming boat currently being sought out. I never buy something with the thought 'I'll use it for a while, then sell it and move on".
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I love all cars.
Even.... THIS ONE?!?!

By the way, I think we sometimes get wrapped around te axle (pun intended) when it comes to some of the words people use to describe their Porsche enjoyment. My perception.
We all don't use the same verbiage but I understand what people are getting at.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Well, there are at least two of us.

I do feel fortunate to have the resources that enable me own such a great car and I can't help but grin every morning when I hear those pipes light off when I crank it up to go to work.

At the same time, it's not my "baby," doesn't have gender, doesn't have a name, I don't talk to it, and as far as I know, it's never spoken to me.

I will say that it's probably more than "just a car," but owning it is essential to neither my well-being nor my sense of self and I certainly can't see it, or any other car ever becoming the focus of my life.
the name thing creeps me out big time.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

While I am not quite as apathetic as Quad about 993 or car ownership in general, I do look at my 993 as just a car in the end, albiet one that looks nice, has some heritage, and performs at a level that I find more than adequate.

But unlike Quad, I would never take the time to regularly poop in others threads celebrating their joys of 993 ownership. At least this time he started his own thread.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

My attachment to all the cars I have owned has its limits.

Cars don't laugh,
Cars don't cry,
Cars don't get emotional,
And cars don't die.

I enjoy driving them and maintaining them. If it is stolen or wrecked, it will be easily replaced. I am an enthusiast but keep my emotional attachment in control over cars.

Mark
Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

the name thing creeps me out big time.
That doesn't surprise me. My bet is there is more creepiness in your life.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That doesn't surprise me. My bet is there is more creepiness in your life.
such as?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=MarkD;9048162]Even.... THIS ONE?!?!

I am truly amazed every time I see an Aztek. At some point someone saw that vehicle, liked it, and actually took out a loan to purchase/own it. I am convinced I could take a **** and sell it to someone.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not as fanatical as many others here on RL, but I do enjoy my car very much. No I do not love my car as that is an emotion reserved for spirtual beings - not material things. I drive it in the rain, I drink coffee in it and I let it get dirty. I try not to eat in it as I hate cleaning out crumbs.

But I do get a feeling much different in the 993 than I in my old Honda, or in our Yukon or Infiniti FX. The car does have something akin to a personality and I feel good when driving it. Being an engineer, mechanical things have a special attraction that they may not have for others. But in the end, it is a car.

I remember being in a parking garage one day and was helping a lady whose car didn't start and needed a jump. A guy in a Corvette drove up next to us and I asked if he could let us jump it from his car. He looked at me in disbelief and said "oh, no I could not do that with THIS." Yes, he wore a gold change and an open shirt. What a dick.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think I agree with Quads assertion that a vehicle doesn't have 'soul'. Of course an inanimate object doesn't have soul per se. Whats really being described is how it moves us internally, in other words our own souls.

Italian motorbikes such as Ducati and Aprilia have the ability to do this. I've owned japanese made bikes and whilst good have never had the same effect on me. Maybe its the sound, the design, their quirky character...who knows. Its really hard to define.

I put the 993 and previous generations on a higher pedestal because these were made by artisans with their own hands. Modern manufacturing using robots leads to a product that some might say is too perfect and each made to the exact same tolerances as the one before. To me that lack of individuality detracts from the ownership experience.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beyond that thought, I generally keep it clean, fix it when its broken, and enjoy driving it, but I don't have any emotional attachment. I don't LOVE any cars, I don't dream about cars (and therefore don't have a dream car) and generally hate when people talk about cars having soul or character. The overabundance of the use of "patina" is also annoying. Dents, windshield cracks, and massive rock chips are not patina, they are flaws. It seems some people cannot admit to themselves that their cars have flaws, so they've come up with stupid words like patina. I've caught myself using it on occasion, and immediately want to punch myself in the face.
I'm with you 100%. I don't name my cars and they're not "she". They're nice cars and I care for them, but they're just things.

Besides the overuse (and inappropriate use) of the word patina, I also am constantly annoyed by the equally overused "spirited". Whenever someone writes "drive in a spirited manner", it makes me think of some homo brit sipping a nice cup of tea with his pinky sticking out. No straight American male should ever be allowed to use this word.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

the worst thing relating to the "she" thing was a guy who modified Ford GTs (who crashed a customer's car).

He referred to cars as "gals". It was one of the weirdest things I've ever read.

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?