Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm sure I will be promptly stoned to death, but it seems like some people get really, and I mean REALLY into their cars...to the point of obsession.

Anybody else not like that at all? I don't love my cars or any other cars, I don't dream about them, I don't obsess over them, and I definitely won't defend them to the death like others.

Btw, this does not go only for porsche, but ferrari, lambo, bmw, etc. Some of these guys just take it to levels I've never seen (i.e. I'd divorce my wife before I sell my car, I sit in my garage with a glass of wine and stare at my car for hours, and I dream of my car, mods, etc")

Am I alone in this? Surely I can't be the only one who enjoys driving good sports cars, but thinks they are still "just cars" at the end of the day.
Since this is my first day having internet access on a real computer for several days, I'll jump right on your initial post without looking to see where the comments have gone and concur. I'll guess we're in the minority.

(Oh, and at risk of making a duplicate observation, when I got into these things in the days of the spanking new SCs, the general attitude of those owners at that time was that NOTHING would trump the 3.0 CIS, 16 inch wheeled sure-to-be-final variant of the 911. And no one, I mean no one, cared about how a car sounded.)
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in '74 I was told I was buying one of the final years of the 911 too..I think it was part of the sales pitch for a few decades...
Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
On his way for a $7000 service
He's a dealer. I don't think he cares about $7K service. Now, the little thing sitting in the passenger seat with the head just above the door line... I'm sure would require much more than $7K service.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

More than anything, what I find interesting is that some people feel an incessant need to continually post on an automotive enthusiast board when they're not enthusiasts. Really quite bizarre. Oh, there's even a smiley for that:

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
The very fact that you are here and post as much as you do shows an above average level of enthusiasm for your car. If you have trouble with that you're in denial.
Originally Posted by ABCar
I think you like the attention and that is why you posted this thread. I also think you love your car but are in the closet. Otherwise you would buy a refreigerator with wheels (Hyundai).
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Quad, it appears you're quite passionate about insisting you're not passionate about cars.
Originally Posted by jw97C2S
I wonder why a guy who says he isn't a "car guy": has been on a car board for 5 years, has four thousand plus posts and apparently even has a nickname (quad). I'm not judging. It just seems that there are site better suited for you endeavors.
+1 to all of these posts.

Originally Posted by quadcammer

Looking into a 95-98 C2 or C4, complete newb here
Hi everyone,
I've been strongly considering selling my supercharged 1999 650rwhp mustang cobra vert, in order to purchase a 95-98 carerra. If I ask questions that have been previously covered, I apologize.

Basic background on me: 23, have a good career in financial services, live in northern NJ, and have always loved the air cooled flat six.

So, on with the questions:

1. What kind of price range is reasonable for a 95-98 C2 with between 30k and 70k miles? How about a C4?

2. Things to look out for. I understand the engines burn quite a bit of oil by design, but are there any trouble spots to look out for?

3. Are the drivelines fairly sturdy? What type of clutch issues might I face at the aforementioned mileage?

4. Recommended PPI shops in northern NJ?

5. Is the 4wd system of the C4 well proven? From what I remember it was one of the first p-cars with awd.

6. Overall, how has your ownership experience been? Would you do it again?

I greatly appreciate all your help, and sorry for the newb questions.

Oh, and finally, anybody have a black one with a tan interior and a 6 speed they want to sell?

thanks,

Oliver
95_993's post was not addressed, so I thought I'd post it again. Yes, I know I'm feeding the troll, but it might be interesting to see how this archived post is rationalized
Old 11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Busted!!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Q suffers from Selective Response Syndrome. With SRS, you only reply to what is convenient for your agenda.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Busted!!
Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Q suffers from Selective Response Syndrome. With SRS, you only reply to what is convenient for your agenda.
Settle!

I didn't see the post.

Now that I have, I'll address it.

1. That was before I owned one. They mystique was far greater than the end product.

2. Yes, I said "love". I misspoke. I don't love any engines...period.

3. As any woman can tell you, saying you "love" something, and actually going through the motions described by others on this board is far different.

That said, if you think its all a lie and I'm in fact in love with my car (HAHA), then continue to believe what you want.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I'm sure I will be promptly stoned to death, but it seems like some people get really, and I mean REALLY into their cars...to the point of obsession.

Anybody else not like that at all? I don't love my cars or any other cars, I don't dream about them, I don't obsess over them, and I definitely won't defend them to the death like others.

Btw, this does not go only for porsche, but ferrari, lambo, bmw, etc. Some of these guys just take it to levels I've never seen (i.e. I'd divorce my wife before I sell my car, I sit in my garage with a glass of wine and stare at my car for hours, and I dream of my car, mods, etc")

Am I alone in this? Surely I can't be the only one who enjoys driving good sports cars, but thinks they are still "just cars" at the end of the day.
caring for them is one thing, but some people go overboard.
I'd like to address this partially, as it can be valid.

That said, I also think there is a difference between appreciating something and becoming emotionally bonded.

I appreciate that its a very good car that many people will never have the ability to own.

Beyond that thought, I generally keep it clean, fix it when its broken, and enjoy driving it, but I don't have any emotional attachment. I don't LOVE any cars, I don't dream about cars (and therefore don't have a dream car) and generally hate when people talk about cars having soul or character. The overabundance of the use of "patina" is also annoying. Dents, windshield cracks, and massive rock chips are not patina, they are flaws. It seems some people cannot admit to themselves that their cars have flaws, so they've come up with stupid words like patina. I've caught myself using it on occasion, and immediately want to punch myself in the face.

As to the daddy comment, while my parents have been extremely generous, they didn't pay for either car.
the name thing creeps me out big time.
such as?
the worst thing relating to the "she" thing was a guy who modified Ford GTs (who crashed a customer's car).

He referred to cars as "gals". It was one of the weirdest things I've ever read.
very clever, but ultimately false.

What about the person that enjoys aggressive driving and needs a tool to do so?
Wouldn't that be category four? Said person can enjoy a vehicle without exactly being enthusiastic about sports cars in general.

In light of this category, the rest of your post is moot.

Why in gods name would you feel sorry for me? its great not having an attachment. I can sell it with no regret, if it gets stolen, I'm not gonna cry, I can drive it whenever I want, including the winter, without worrying, and I can generally treat it like "just a car" without another thought.

As for the status thing...If that were the case, I'd have bought a Ferrari F355 or 997.
agree big time

Very rarely do these sorts of things look good. The front of my car is sandblasted to hell. I would NEVER, under any circumstances, call that patina.

I generally post here because it keeps me entertained at work (by stirring the pot, which you guessed correctly).

I generally prefer tech threads and do lots of eye rolling when it comes to the "ooowwwmiiiiigawdddd, I love this car, its part of teh family, will never sell it, best thing ever, pinnacle of porsche, etc" threads come around.

If I don't have many tech things to post about, you get these threads.

Never said it was.
I'm not sure why the money thing is harped on. There is a difference between appreciating what you have, the value of a dollar and so forth, and being obsessed with a material possession.
Interesting view there about the attachment to the engineers. Call me a cynical douche, but every time I work on it, I think about the silly BS that porsche engineers came up with respect to packaging, in car engine access, etc. For instance, what kind of *** clown decides to attach plug wires to the fan shroud with a 25mm philips head screw when there is about 28mm of room between the shroud and intake.

Its certainly personal, but I don't feel that sort of connection.

oh dear.

I used to drag race, but now my driving is basically confined to mountain runs with the guys. Safe and controlled...to some degree...reckless ****bag?...well thats up to interpretation.

Nevertheless, my 993 is simply a good tool for this kind of driving. It is effective and efficient at its purpose. There are fleeting moments when I feel some passion for porsche (like when i watch one of those 993 videos, right before I realize its all marketing fluff) or hear about their race history, but then I realize I don't really care. I'm not sure where the commitment part comes in.

I enjoy endurance racing, which porsche loses on a regular basis (restrictors or weight penalties not withstanding), but would hardly say I want an audi cause they dominate.

Finally, the status thing again. I live 20 minutes from midtown, where porsches are dime a dozen. Like I said, if i wanted status, a 355 or 997 would be a no brainer.

Exactly. Its the appreciation for a good product. Same way I like my Samsung LCD, Pioneer Elite receiver, or brioni suits. Do I love any of them? no way in hell.

Hey man, I like your 356. I think its cool in a beater sort of way. And you like to drive it and thats cool. Not sure why you like imperfections though? Can you elaborate.

Me personally, if someone released a technically perfect car at an affordable price, I'd probably be very interested.

I stir with the best of them:

I still don't know if I'd call it patina, but rather damage from racing. Leaving it in the as raced condition is fine in my book...because its a classic, historically important, race car. A guys 1996 911 road car....ehhhh
Its not about the language or terminology...Its about the actions.

I don't sit in my car and longingly think about the many hours it took heidi to stitch my interior together. I don't feel washing the car is a sensual experience. I don't compare driving it to sex (now THAT was weird). I don't smile every time I start it...in fact I don't smile most times that I drive it. Driving down a straight highway doesn't make me giddy just cause im in a porsche, and I have the radio on at all times.

Perhaps I'm just immune to the passion cars create in people. I'd rather treat it like a piece of transportation (although fun at times).

Edit: Just so I don't get stoned, this is not a knock on the 993 in particular. I feel this way about just about every car made, save for maybe an F40. Took a ride in an Enzo...did nothing for me...lambo gallardo? yes I enjoyed it...but still no passion...just a car.
they make a damn good car lately...
I believe so...but will check with my physician to be sure.
Because I don't agree with basically any of what you just said. The car doesn't dare me to do anything.

Hold the phone. At its very essence, a car is a means for transportation. A porsche is a car, hence it is a means for transportation. I've mentioned that I think its a good tool for aggressive driving, but merely a tool.

I'm emotionally bankrupt because I think Hyundai makes a damn fine car (equus, genesis, etc.)? Notice I didn't say evocative, passionate, engaging, even interesting? They build cars that perform well at the task they are designed for...like Porsche.

A pet is an animate object. A shiny piece of metal with 4 tires is not.

Btw Ed, do you name your Television? How about your lawn mower? Your refrigerator? Surely you have a name for your office chair?
Well, a hyundai isn't the correct tool for the purposes I need it for, but that doesn't make it a bad car. They have a 10 year warranty, at that point I"ll just buy another. As for maintenance costs, from the research I've done, they aren't prohibitive.

Why would I be in the closet about loving my car? If I made a long winded post about how marvelous it was (ahem), I'd probably get as much attention and have everyone wanting to shake my hand on here.

If hyundai made a car as capable as mine for the purposes I use it for, and I enjoyed its appearance, I certainly would buy one.

An animal is a living breathing thing. While I think there are pet owners who take the personification of their animals way too far, I can at least understand the appeal.

My comprehension appears to be impeccable. You name your cars (still not sure why), but you don't name your tv or office chair. Since they are inanimate objects, why do you personify one but not the other? Surely your office chair has a tinge of jealousy, no?
wow...um, not much I can say about that. I've had my car two years, and I've literally NEVER experienced any of this "stoplight" or "coffee shop" admiration you seem to get.
I think this crosses a line to obsession in an imho unhealthy way.
Settle!

I didn't see the post.

Now that I have, I'll address it.

1. That was before I owned one. They mystique was far greater than the end product.

2. Yes, I said "love". I misspoke. I don't love any engines...period.

3. As any woman can tell you, saying you "love" something, and actually going through the motions described by others on this board is far different.

That said, if you think its all a lie and I'm in fact in love with my car (HAHA), then continue to believe what you want.
I can distill all of these words into just three:

LOOK!

AT!

ME!

Quad, instead of wasting time, why not just copy and paste those words?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I can distill all of these words into just three:

LOOK!

AT!

ME!

Quad, instead of wasting time, why not just copy and paste those words?
how about, you don't like it, you don't read it chief.

Better yet, put me on ignore, make it easier for you.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

. The mystique was far greater than the end product.

well then...time to sell that 993 heap and find the next unimpassioned auto to use as a "tool" for that occasional "spirited" driving.

I'd LOVE to know what you'll get next!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Calling Andreas.....please provide the obligatory Mustang pic. It's gotta have a live axle
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

how about, you don't like it, you don't read it chief.

Better yet, put me on ignore, make it easier for you.
I didn't read most of it; that was the point of my post.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
The G:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-gallardo.html

Magdaddy, do you know someone put a Christmas on top of your 993?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I thinking a Hyundai might fill the void.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
The G:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-gallardo.html

Magdaddy, do you know someone put a Christmas on top of your 993?
Interesting.

Mike

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?