Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Golf is not a sport-so I am with you there-
Two years ago my then 12 year old son shot a 48 on the front 9 and I shot a 61. I immediately decided that not only is golf not a sport but that it is some horrible game designed to frustrate an active and reasonably athletic person in to submission.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 AM
GuardsRedHammerhead
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I obssess about all Porsche's. Saw a lovely Red 964 Turbo in Flagler Beach yesterday. Went home and and had a dream about the same car. Was trying to buy it but lost on the negotiation. lol. Woke up pissed off and in sweats. Couldn't get back to sleep after that, so got on Rennlist. Sickness.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Ive had mine for three years and just a few weeks ago at around midnight I went to the garage in the dark, got in, lit up the instrument panel without fully turning on the lights so that the nice glow would permeate the garage. I put my hands on the cold steering wheel, I smell the leather and the feeling of the first night I had it in my garage has never gone away. I feeling of accomplishment takes over me, from the fabulous drives I've taken, the ones I look forward to, to all the labor of love I've put into it, all the sweet upgrades and how I have tailored it to exactly the way I want it.

I have a 95, and I was a junior in high school when my car came out of Stuttgart. It was the hottest car in the world, it was THE car to have, and now I have it. Whenever I park at a restaurant I like to sit where I can have direct eye-line to my car, not just to guard it, but to admire it...its curves, its freshly washed body and how it looks different from every angle. I like to look at the faces of people when they walk by and stare at it, you know...the kind of people that are "too cool to stare" and if they knew I was watching them look at my car they would totally keep a straight face and look away. But I see them! And its fun! But the best is when a little boy gives you props. Its amazing whats in the male DNA when a 3 year boy, not a girl they could care less, a BOY and with their tiny, underdeveloped finger they point at the car and look, they don't know what they are looking at, all they know its cool to look at and voila! Just like that....a car lover is born! Thats the best feeling.

And then of course there's the chicks at a stop light, especially the gold-diggin cougars, who ironically, admire the character of a well aged machine. Getting out of the car at a coffee shop and literally feeling the eyes of women on you, seeing the wheels turning in their heads about your availability and what it would feel like to have you remove their panties in the passenger seat of your 993...whether this is true or not, at least thats what I think.

The camaraderie, the pals, all the fellas at rennlist, the brotherhood, the free sharing of information and the passion for these cars. Tending to them with care and nurture. They say that you can tell alot about a man's character by the way he treats his car.

And lastly, going fast! Shifting the tail or your rear-engine car at will, steering the car with the throttle! There is nothing like it! It is a special feeling of being powerful yet at the same time basking in the innocence that reminds of you playing with cars when you where a kid. Its imagination that fuels our passion, and yes its passion. Some people collect stamps, other's lift weights. Us? we pilot our 993s and develop a stewardship with our machines like the blue creatures in the movie Avatar develop a stewardship with their flying banshees.

If by now you don't feel anything, don't worry, its not really a big deal. If you could look into the future, most of us will still have our 993s decades from today, we will be stubborn old men like the ones you still see today at PCA events who have had their 901s and their 356s and their 912s since forever, and with every new wrinkle in our leather and every mile in our engine we grow more and more into our cars, giving them character and respecting their history and contribution to the long line of automotive racing that came before us. For those who believe in this lifestyle no explanation is necessary, and for those who don't, no explanation is possible.
wow...um, not much I can say about that. I've had my car two years, and I've literally NEVER experienced any of this "stoplight" or "coffee shop" admiration you seem to get.
I think this crosses a line to obsession in an imho unhealthy way.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward
And therein lays the answer: no passion for cars. So clearly your misunderstanding others' passion is entirely that: your misunderstanding. Kind of like my trying to understand that golf is actually a "sport"...

Ok, so that may have been insensitive to several here. No offense; just me not getting it. We all choose what we're passionate about. And lets face it, that leaves everyone else who is "on the outside" shrugging their shoulders in wonder.

Edward
Yeah, Its very possible I'm not a "car guy". I enjoy driving them and fix them when necessary, but I'm not very passionate.

Originally Posted by Unkle
Thanks for a great thread, I have really enjoyed all sides of the discussion. especially the comment about driving over people to save the car. I tend to agree with a lot of the orignal idea from Quadcammer, never considered it has gender or a name, although I probably have said (on rennlist) that i love the 964, but i don't. I think its a great car, and the 911 I always wanted as personally i think its the best looking. I don't buy into the marketing "passion in making a car", but thats another issue. I drive it cause i enjoy it, not on a normal drive along a motorway (i could be in anything to do that and in more comfort) I have it for the occasional shot in the arm, the track day or other, the drive across Europe and up mountain passses in Switzerland.

I am not interested in standing in carparks discussing them, on going to shows about them. But personally driving my own car? Yes i get pleasure from it, but if i needed to part with it, i wouldn't worry.
+1
Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow...um, not much I can say about that. I've had my car two years, and I've literally NEVER experienced any of this "stoplight" or "coffee shop" admiration you seem to get.
I think this crosses a line to obsession in an imho unhealthy way.
I'd just posted that I get a lot of comments, but now I re-read the prior post about panties and such, so I'm editing. I don't get those either...
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thread.

I'm just happy that there are things, bikes, cars, that I'm super interested in. It helps keep life interesting.

As for obsessing, my wife isn't complaining, so maybe I'm OK.

When I was a kid, I thought the coolest car in the world was the XK-E. I was mesmerized by them. I now have a car that will outperform the Jag, and that is just as beautiful.

Last edited by Rinty; 11-26-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread! No obsession here.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My take on this point is that just about everybody is "emotional" about their car to some degree or another. Whether it is only just about color preference all the way to obsessive compulsion like I think Quadcammer is talking about.

A car is just basic transportation. A means to get from point A to point B. If there was absolutely no emotion involved with owning a car, then everybody would be driving a white Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder why a guy who says he isn't a "car guy": has been on a car board for 5 years, has four thousand plus posts and apparently even has a nickname (quad). I'm not judging. It just seems that there are site better suited for you endeavors.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yeah, Its very possible I'm not a "car guy". I enjoy driving them and fix them when necessary, but I'm not very passionate.

+1
Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

C'mon! Fess up! Who on this list hasn't sped up in a tunnel just to hear the exhaust note...Or looked over to see the reflection of their car in a mirror glass store front as they drive by?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fun read. Soon to be 10 pages.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
C'mon! Fess up! Who on this list hasn't sped up in a tunnel just to hear the exhaust note...Or looked over to see the reflection of their car in a mirror glass store front as they drive by?
Guilty as charged!

Last edited by ble2011; 11-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Now, if I could only find a tunnel with mirrors.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I was driving in a tunnel under Copley square two weeks ago all smug and happy with the roof down listening to my new LPPMs. It was all good. Until I was passed by a neighbor in a Testarossa...
Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I was driving in a tunnel under Copley square two weeks ago all smug and happy with the roof down listening to my new LPPMs. It was all good. Until I was passed by a neighbor in a Testarossa...
On his way for a $7000 service

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?