Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
they make a damn good car lately...
Yes. They make a really fine car.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Quadcammer, have you checked your pulse lately...to be sure you have one?
I believe so...but will check with my physician to be sure.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Porsche 993 -- about any 911 for that matter -- is a mechanical aphrodisiac. Our 993s connect directly with the part of our brain that derives pure pleasure from harnessing a complex machine to do our bidding. An escape pod from the mundane routines of our daily lives, to drive one is to experience a type of sensual immersion few machines can provide in such intoxicating quantities. Where most cars give up easily, the 993 dares you to explore its limits... and yours. To drive one fast -- and well -- is to feel the exhilaration of controlling the barely controllable. Few machines offer up such a menu of rewards. Few machines reward so completely. How can you not have an emotional connection which such a machine?

Happy Thanksgiving all!!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Its not about the language or terminology...Its about the actions.

I don't sit in my car and longingly think about the many hours it took heidi to stitch my interior together. I don't feel washing the car is a sensual experience. I don't compare driving it to sex (now THAT was weird). I don't smile every time I start it...in fact I don't smile most times that I drive it. Driving down a straight highway doesn't make me giddy just cause im in a porsche, and I have the radio on at all times.

Perhaps I'm just immune to the passion cars create in people. I'd rather treat it like a piece of transportation (although fun at times).

Edit: Just so I don't get stoned, this is not a knock on the 993 in particular. I feel this way about just about every car made, save for maybe an F40. Took a ride in an Enzo...did nothing for me...lambo gallardo? yes I enjoyed it...but still no passion...just a car.
Well, that's just delusional if you went out and bought a Porsche for no other reason than to get a 'piece of transportation'.

they make a damn good car lately...
Might explain the emotional bankruptcy ....
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward
Have we devolved so much that we have to qualify the phrase "love my car" with ...wait, not really "love," after all, it's just an inanimate object ...what I really meant to say is...

And you or anyone here really thinks that folks "love" their cars as a normal person would define love for another?

Someone call the language police because apparently there are folks here who need help.

Edward
Excellent post. There are many things in my life I like. To use the same term to describe my cars, or other objects that bring me pleasure just doesn't seem right, so I graduate to the term love for some of them. Certainly not the same as that for my wife or my dog. Oh wait.....love an animal? How creepy.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by ande5000
A Porsche 993 -- about any 911 for that matter -- is a mechanical aphrodisiac. Our 993s connect directly with the part of our brain that derives pure pleasure from harnessing a complex machine to do our bidding. An escape pod from the mundane routines of our daily lives, to drive one is to experience a type of sensual immersion few machines can provide in such intoxicating quantities. Where most cars give up easily, the 993 dares you to explore its limits... and yours. To drive one fast -- and well -- is to feel the exhilaration of controlling the barely controllable. Few machines offer up such a menu of rewards. Few machines reward so completely. How can you not have an emotional connection which such a machine?

Happy Thanksgiving all!!
Because I don't agree with basically any of what you just said. The car doesn't dare me to do anything.

Originally Posted by JPP
Well, that's just delusional if you went out and bought a Porsche for no other reason than to get a 'piece of transportation'.

Might explain the emotional bankruptcy ....
Hold the phone. At its very essence, a car is a means for transportation. A porsche is a car, hence it is a means for transportation. I've mentioned that I think its a good tool for aggressive driving, but merely a tool.

I'm emotionally bankrupt because I think Hyundai makes a damn fine car (equus, genesis, etc.)? Notice I didn't say evocative, passionate, engaging, even interesting? They build cars that perform well at the task they are designed for...like Porsche.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Excellent post. There are many things in my life I like. To use the same term to describe my cars, or other objects that bring me pleasure just doesn't seem right, so I graduate to the term love for some of them. Certainly not the same as that for my wife or my dog. Oh wait.....love an animal? How creepy.
A pet is an animate object. A shiny piece of metal with 4 tires is not.

Btw Ed, do you name your Television? How about your lawn mower? Your refrigerator? Surely you have a name for your office chair?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:37 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

... A porsche is a car, hence it is merely a tool.
Then get rid of the Porsche and buy a Hundai. With the money you save, you can go to Sears and get some more tools ....

I'm emotionally bankrupt because I think Hyundai makes a damn fine car?
Well, that and you obviously haven't read any of the customer complaints about out of warranty repairs and the cost of maintenance .. but if you REALLY don't care and just want a tool ... be my guest. I think you should name it Daisy.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you like the attention and that is why you posted this thread. I also think you love your car but are in the closet. Otherwise you would buy a refreigerator with wheels (Hyundai).
Old 11-24-2011, 01:00 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

OTOH, I can understand that this kinky love affair with an automobile can get out of hand. I recall a fellow PCA member in Dallas back in the late '60's who was owned by a pristine 356. Sadly, the car got broad-sided by some dolt who ran a red light. As they were extracting him from the vehicle, he was shouting "They killed my car!"

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 11-24-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by JPP
Then get rid of the Porsche and buy a Hundai. With the money you save, you can go to Sears and get some more tools ....

Well, that and you obviously haven't read any of the customer complaints about out of warranty repairs and the cost of maintenance .. but if you REALLY don't care and just want a tool ... be my guest. I think you should name it Daisy.
Well, a hyundai isn't the correct tool for the purposes I need it for, but that doesn't make it a bad car. They have a 10 year warranty, at that point I"ll just buy another. As for maintenance costs, from the research I've done, they aren't prohibitive.

Originally Posted by ABCar
I think you like the attention and that is why you posted this thread. I also think you love your car but are in the closet. Otherwise you would buy a refreigerator with wheels (Hyundai).
Why would I be in the closet about loving my car? If I made a long winded post about how marvelous it was (ahem), I'd probably get as much attention and have everyone wanting to shake my hand on here.

If hyundai made a car as capable as mine for the purposes I use it for, and I enjoyed its appearance, I certainly would buy one.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

[quote=Cactus;9048203]
Originally Posted by MarkD
Even.... THIS ONE?!?!

I am truly amazed every time I see an Aztek. At some point someone saw that vehicle, liked it, and actually took out a loan to purchase/own it. I am convinced I could take a **** and sell it to someone.
every time i see one on the road, i try to see who is driving it so that i can get an idea of what type of person would think that this "car" is a good idea.
~ 65% soccer moms
and I'd say ~ 85% WAS(?)
Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

A pet is an animate object. A shiny piece of metal with 4 tires is not.

Btw Ed, do you name your Television? How about your lawn mower? Your refrigerator? Surely you have a name for your office chair?
Well, your description of a pet gives us further insight into your thought process.

And, hang in there, comprehension should come with maturity as you age. Not everything is black and white: I choose to name my cars (as some others do)-that doesn't mean I name every object in my life.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Quad, it appears you're quite passionate about insisting you're not passionate about cars. Happy Thanksgiving to Rennlist's resident 27-year old curmudgeon
Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
... As they were extracting him from the vehicle, he was shouting "They killed my car!"
... and you find that strange because ...

[quote=cgfen;9050421]
Originally Posted by Cactus

every time i see one on the road, i try to see who is driving it so that i can get an idea of what type of person would think that this "car" is a good idea.
Rosie O'Donnell drives that car ... seriously, I saw it in 'People'.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Quad, it appears you're quite passionate about insisting you're not passionate about cars.
Exactly. It's an old problem, evidently ... " .... Methinks he [sic] (the lady) protests too much!" Hamlet Act 3, scene 2
Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, your description of a pet gives us further insight into your thought process.

And, hang in there, comprehension should come with maturity as you age. Not everything is black and white: I choose to name my cars (as some others do)-that doesn't mean I name every object in my life.

An animal is a living breathing thing. While I think there are pet owners who take the personification of their animals way too far, I can at least understand the appeal.

My comprehension appears to be impeccable. You name your cars (still not sure why), but you don't name your tv or office chair. Since they are inanimate objects, why do you personify one but not the other? Surely your office chair has a tinge of jealousy, no?

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT get emotional about their car?