993TT to Gallardo

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts
Default 993TT to Gallardo

Anybody done this?

I drove an 06 gallardo 6 speed, and man that is a capable car.

Not sure I'm ready to give up the tt yet, but I am seriously tempted as resale on the gallardos is pretty bad.

Anybody have any experience with that? did you end up missing the 993TT?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that it is an amazing car, especially for the money. I have purposely avoided driving one.

And I am not sure that I am a Lamborghini guy. But you are Oli from Jersey, so go for it! (Just joking, of course.)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

can't go wrong with a lambo. go for it.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We always see guys regretting the sale of their 993TT here on Rennlist. Proceed with caution.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the cost of ownership before. A Gallardo costs much more when it comes to clutch replacement, replacement of brake discs and pads.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oliver, I forgot, do you have a garage at the new condo? Gotta have a garage.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Texas993
I agree that it is an amazing car, especially for the money. I have purposely avoided driving one.

And I am not sure that I am a Lamborghini guy. But you are Oli from Jersey, so go for it! (Just joking, of course.)
yeah, my stupid friend who has nice parents let him borrow their 06 for the weekend. First thing this guy does is come over and throw me the keys. I didn't even get on it that hard, but it sounds great. The handling is less lively than the 993, but that sucker sticks. From my research, it seems like the audi influence has led to acceptable reliability for once. Liked the car much more than the murcie I drove a few years ago.

I'll be honest, the car is a little showy for me, but I'll be selecting a subdued color if I go this route.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
We always see guys regretting the sale of their 993TT here on Rennlist. Proceed with caution.
yes, In a perfect world I'd like to keep them both, but thats not the wisest move financially or space wise...see below.

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
Check the cost of ownership before. A Gallardo costs much more when it comes to clutch replacement, replacement of brake discs and pads.
yup, thats one of the first things I looked at. Its more expensive, there is no doubt, but then again its an italian high end sports car, so thats to be expected. However, the parts prices don't seem to be THAT hateful, especially if you go with the manual transmission. That seems to extend the life of the clutch, even though a replacement is about $6k. Also, I do most of my own work, so that will keep costs down.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Oliver, I forgot, do you have a garage at the new condo? Gotta have a garage.
I do, but only a one car. The daily sits outside.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I say go for it. You have never seemed overly content with your tt. Besides that v10 scream is worth the price of admission.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever Karen and I drive a Lambo, it makes us giggle and smile and laugh. The outrageous Jessica Rabbit curves and the M&M on acid colours!
It's such a "toony town" car. The exhaust note is sublime. The Gallardo is a little understated (for a Lambo). If I had discretionary cash, I'd buy one for Karen.
But I would NEVA EVA get rid of El Guapo to do so.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I say go for it. You have never seemed overly content with your tt. Besides that v10 scream is worth the price of admission.
Its not that I'm not content. Its a good solid car the TT. That said, I don't find it as thrilling as some. maybe its the car, maybe its me, and maybe I'm just having a moment of "grass is greener" syndrome. I'm sure the thrill of the Lambo will wear off quickly too.

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Whenever Karen and I drive a Lambo, it makes us giggle and smile and laugh. The outrageous Jessica Rabbit curves and the M&M on acid colours!
It's such a "toony town" car. The exhaust note is sublime. The Gallardo is a little understated (for a Lambo). If I had discretionary cash, I'd buy one for Karen.
But I would NEVA EVA get rid of El Guapo to do so.
yeah, the gallardo seems a bit less gawky then the murcie, but I think looks better in plain colors like black and grey. I would never get the green, yellow, or orange that plague some of these things.

Given that you have the most experience with the cars so far in this thread, can you explain briefly why you wouldn't replace your car with the gallardo?

your car is way more modified than mine, but any thoughts you can provide would be helpful.

thanks for the insight fellas.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 451 Posts

My son's favorite car...he is always telling me to sell the 993's and get a Lambo! How much does an '06 go for???????
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Onami
My son's favorite car...he is always telling me to sell the 993's and get a Lambo! How much does an '06 go for???????
nice 06 should be about $110-$115k for a coupe.

I of course will only buy a manual trans car, which are hard to find.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, if i only have one car, i'd take the gallardo. you can't go wrong with it coming from a 993TT. it is a great car and pretty reliable. don't worry too much about the clutch. i have a murcie and among all my other cars it's still my favorite. it's over 10K miles and have no clutch slipping yet. maintenance shouldn't be that bad especially if you can do your own oil changes and some other minor maintenance.

if and then you have extra cash, then a 993TT is a must have second sports car.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that's a hard question. I sold a perfectly good FVD 480 modded 1996 TT to get the Andial. I then chopped up a perfectly good car and made it into my conception of the perfect GT2 clone.
A couple of years ago Karen and I did 2 of those Performance Driving Experience days. The one where you get to drive 6 or 7 exotics. (They comped us a second day because we were unable to drive the 430 on the first day because it caught fire in Solvang and burnt to the gound just before we were to have driven it. (There was a picture posted on the internet with Karen in it, just as she was saying, "There's something you don't see everyday." As the tires exploded.)
But I digress.
So we drove the following cars for about 1/2 hour each on the back roads around Ventura and Santa Barbara. Here are my Cliff Notes impressions.

Maserati : Crap paddle shift gearbox.
Convertable Jag : Boring
996 Turbo : Fast but the engine felt remote and actually laggy to me.
Bently Continental : Very nice indeed. Luxo deluxo.
Gallardo 6 speed Coupe: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHOOP WHOOP.
Z06 : Poor finish. Nice daily driver.
Aston Martin Convertable: Yawn.
Ford GT : Oooooooooh pretty. Interior crap. Not a soul
stirring drive as I had expected.
430 Coupe : Umm hot?
Gallardo Convertable 6 speed: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHHOOP WHHHOOOP WHOOOOP!
430 Spider : The most focused and capable car of the lot. Seriously fast, serious good handling and brakes. BUT, the car was so serious!They forgot to let us drive it the second day, and when I told them, He looked left and right and handed us the keys and said "Don't wreck it." (All the other cars were driven in convoy).
I might have forgotten a couple, but they must have been forgetable.
Bottom line, 430 was amazing car and the best of the bunch but the Gallardo was the most fun.
El Guapo is as fast or faster than most of these cars. He is prettier than all but perhaps the GT. He is built like a brick-sh*thouse. He does not handle as well as the better ones, but is is a rewarding snapshot-in-time of the best of the best.
El Guapo is simply El Guapo.

Last edited by ScottMellor; 06-14-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by azmurciev12
dude, if i only have one car, i'd take the gallardo. you can't go wrong with it coming from a 993TT. it is a great car and pretty reliable. don't worry too much about the clutch. i have a murcie and among all my other cars it's still my favorite. it's over 10K miles and have no clutch slipping yet. maintenance shouldn't be that bad especially if you can do your own oil changes and some other minor maintenance.

if and then you have extra cash, then a 993TT is a must have second sports car.
oh no, this would be a weekend/fun car. This would be in addition to my daily car.

but I have heard that the manual gallardos are fairly reliable products.

Quick Reply: 993TT to Gallardo