Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?

One day I was cruising through my town just outside Boston when, to avoid traffic, I decided to turn around on a street I rarely drive on. I saw the distinctive curves of a 911 hidden by weeds, grass, bushes, etc. I pulled close to see what model it was and couldn't believe it; the car looked abandoned. I parked and walked down the driveway. Tires flat, black over tan but oxidized paint like I have rarely seen, plant life growing out of the split grille. Split grille? Hey, this is an S. Wow, 6spd, seats look pretty good. Peering through the window it looked like...19,000 miles! I couldn't believe this car was only about 100 yards out of my daily path. I left a note.
I've received those notes in the past, my old beloved '92 MB 500e would collect a handful each year. A few weeks went by without a response. I mentioned it to my co-conspirator in all car matters and it turns out that he knew of the mysterious 911. He had wondered about it but never discussed it with me. Maybe if you don't talk about it you don't have to believe it's just sitting there not getting wrung out. I left another note. No response. I was really hooked by this point. I had to understand why the car was there and had assumed it was parked because of some massive repair bill, maybe a blown engine, a divorce, etc. so I stalked the property owner online and found an email address. To my delight I got a call a few days later.
The rest of the summer passed while the owner shifted back and forth from a likely seller to someone prepared to restore the car. I never really knew if things would work out. He's an interesting guy and a true car nut. In his driveway was a big early '70's Benz with a 4.5 and air suspension that had sunk so low into the ground it belonged in*Española. In the garage a 84 or 85 vette. Due to some health issues he was not comfortable driving a standard shift. Those were his words. I figured it was killing him to not drive these cars. So we talked. We towed the 911 into the shop to get a look at it and I helped him to start sorting out the car. I suppose the timing was right and he decided that, after all, he would sell it to me.
So, now I have what is likely the world's only low-mile 1997 C2S that has sat outside for most of its life. Keep in mind that last year in Boston we had a near record 80" of snow. In March of 2010 13" of rain fell. While many of you were agonizing over your first clay bar purchase this car baked through 98 degree days. The Sox won, twice.
I am blessed and cursed to have a good friend who is a meticulous mechanic and shop owner. That gives me access to his nearly unlimited dry storage space, a lift, and a gnarly set of tools. I have a '74 Triumph TR6 that I've owned for 28 years, a '76 TR6 that is concours-ready, an aprillia 250cc GP bike and a coupla other Italian motorcycles. My DD is either a Piaggio 150 scooter or a MB GL350 diesel depending on weather. My wife is surprisingly tolerant especially when you consider that she has never parked in our garage.
I've lurked on this site for a few months, read thousands of posts and just ordered a 1st round of supplies from the good guys at FD Motorsports. This project could end in tears or I'll be driving in a few weeks. Wish me luck. Photos soon.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story. FYI I have bikes or $$$ to trade if the C2S is too much of a project for you.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 AM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Christian--

Now THAT's a story! We must know if you felt good about your negotiated price! Hopefully the owner could sense you would lovingly restore it, and he didn't try for high-40's on the car! Driving in a few weeks means you must be focused, for now, on the mechanics of getting it running...then making it look pretty comes down the line?

I'm an old Boston guy (just went to Dropkick Murphy's concert here in San Diego last night!)...curious: North Shore...South Shore?

Good luck with project!

THIS THREAD...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Christian J
Racer

ok, here's day 1 for me, and the badge of the car about 2 months later.
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

...IS USELESS...

Christian,
Is the paint checked, do you think a body shop could buff it out?

I once bought a 1965 VW Beetle that still had it's original paint. The car was Pearl White but it looked like chalk when I first brought it home. After polishing it with Meguiar's Body Shop Professional hand polish and then waxing, I was shocked how much better it looked. Of course, lacquer based single stage paints were used back then, different than today's paints.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Christian J
Racer

We'll see how the paint improves. I know it will never be a show car without a repaint and there's some relief in having a bit of a beater. I'm working on motor and brakes first.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Christian, welcome to the fold! Out of curiosity, what town is that?

Give a shout if you need anything like info on where to get little restoration type parts, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I would be very cautious on the engine side, change the fuel and oil first, and then crank it over with the DME pulled to build oil pressure and make sure its all good before the first fire up.

Its possible you have a light coating of rust on the insides of some of the barrels - when the engine was stopped, its likely some of the pistons were in the lower positions, thus a fair volume of air was trapped in the barrel. I have seen some cars pickup some corrosion on the barrel insides in this case, even with a brand new engine. There is not much you can do about it but start the car up.

Once started, I would run the engine in for 15-20 minutes, then dump and replace the oil.

You will want to change or flush ALL the fluids - brakes, power steering, clutch circuits, fuel, oil, transmission oil, washer fluids, etc.

Sound like fun though, keep us posted!!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Stellar Introduction!

Have fun
Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Great story, and welcome!

That neglected car sounds like it's getting a new lease on life. Congrats to you and the car!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

What a find - thanks for posting.
Reminds me of the time I didn't know much about P-cars and walked away from a convertible 993 turbo. I should have bought that sucker.
Then one time I found a vintage Quad ESL57 and snapped it up for a great price.

Looking foward to progress pics.
Cheers
Old 10-13-2011, 04:53 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great story Christian...color looks almost like it could be Vesuvius. Wouldn't that be a find! Interested to hear the follow-up.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Very cool! Keep us posted on your progress! Are there hairline cracks and tiny bubbles in the paint from sitting outside or is it relatively smooth?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Wow...great story and great find. Can't wait to see it on the road. I am just outside of Boston myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Christian J
Racer

Thanks for the encouragement. The paint should come back with a lot of rubbin'. It's 741 black. The car seems pretty stripped but does have motor sound, limited slip and techno wheels. I'll be putting in time nights & weekends here in scenic Medford, MA if anyone wants to stop by. My '76 TR6 needed about a year of sorting before it was done, so I have a sense of what I'm in for..

Quick Reply: New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?