Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I might be going to Vermont next weekend, but if not, I will def be there!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian J
Oh that's just not fair. I suppose you'd have Halle Berry deliver it too. the truth is I am not the guy to own a collector bike that's never been started and I absolutely love the MV, especially the 750 vs the 1000. I have a 748s, MH900e and 2 250's and they all get ridden hard.
I'd BUY a used later-year 750 but thats a separate conversation. But seriously,
you are a bad man. I haven't even driven this car yet! Sheesh.

Halle, Angelina, Scarlett... this can all be arranged. Pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain... these aren't the droids you're looking for...

Ok so the MV is a bit too much of a garage queen. Understood. The 1st owner (his until about 2 months ago) never so much as sat upon the bike in his 11 years of ownership. I got the bike new for him in 2000. Admittedly I have indeed tried out the seat since she entered the fold.

You want one to ride you say? And clearly you've a bit of the old skool road-racer blood in your veins. Perhaps its time to pull out the big guns.

I'm sure you know what this is. For the non bike geeks among us, pictured below is my 1990 US-market VFR750R aka RC30. #004 of the 300 sold stateside and a 49-state model. 1 owner from new with 3500 miles and no track time or bad stories. Unobtainable (truly impossible to buy now) HRC magnesium rims from back in the day, HRC full exhaust, HRC kit carbs, HRC ecu, airbox, etc. Freshly tuned and in perfect nick.

What say you now Christian?

Name:  IMG_3705.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  IMG_3427.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  1.60 MB
Old 10-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last week we did a few things: pumped out the fuel tank until it was dry, changed the fuel filter, changed the engine oil to a cheap synthetic 5-30, changed both oil filters. I also pulled a plug from each cylinder and sprayed in a little aerokroil, a penetrating oil that I've used with good results in the past. I've had the same can of the stuff for about 15 years. Tonight I put a wrench on the motor and found that it seemed to turn pretty smoothly although I really had nothing to compare the feel to. I made the big assumption that there were no stuck valves or rings and that nothing expensive was about to happen. Of course, my friend Bill is there to say "Just start the f'ing thing".
I had put a new battery in about 2 weeks ago and dealt with the immobilizer. I happened to have a jug of race gas (!) from a motorcycle track day at NHMS so I dump in a few gallons of fresh gas through the hole for the sender, pull the DME relay and crank for a second, then 2, then a few, then a few more. Pop in the relay then:
Sorry, I cant upload the movie!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Christian J
Racer

It was missing really badly and smoking a LOT. While i apologize for the poor video I was really looking around and listening for signs of trouble, and hoping it would clear and fire on all cylinders. One good sign is that after a short time at high idle the engine kicked down and settled in at a low yet smoky and lumpy idle. The OBD reader shows its missing on one side, so after digging around we see that there's a loose wire (damn squirells!) and fire it up again.

The smoke stops after a few seconds, idle stays smooth. We let it go for a while, listening, poking around. All gauges look good. OBD readout is clean. We get to the point where the thermostat opens and the whole oil system is flowing. It starts to smell like a leaf fire and there's some smoke from the right rear wheel well but we see that its from oil I spilled during the change that has collected on a heat shield. A few more minutes and we shut it down. Success! I actually drive it about 70' to the back of the shop and park it. The clutch take-up is smooth, gearbox is surprisingly silky and the brakes seem to work!
A few things seem to have gone my way: The gas in the tank was about 7 1/2 years old, but was likely premium and likely had no ethanol. Would I have been worse off if it was 4 years old with ethanol? I have to believe that the PO started the car every once in a while, at least until the battery died, so maybe it had been started more recently than we originally thought. Or, maybe its just good design and materials from Porsche and the miracle of synthetic oil and aerokroil...

Who cares. All I know is that the fairly big gamble is working out and the motor runs smoothly. The belts look pretty tired so I didnt rev the thing over 2k. I'm waiting on delivery of a major service kit from FD as well as rotors, pads, brake lines, some goodies and all new fluids so until that arrives I suppose all I can do is clean the leaves and crap that seem to have worked their way throughout the engine bay. Two new tires showed up today; the other 2 are due next week. I might really have something to show you guys next Saturday! b.y.o. clay bar

Tomorrow I'll try to figure out how to upload the movies.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Link to Youtube!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:48 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
And all three are even better with a cold beer in hand.
Most thing in life are. Wait. All things in life are.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Christian J
Racer

Kie, you son of a bitch, you have hit the nail squarely with the RC30. That bike connects with my love of real race cred, my 1st bike was a VTR1000 and that rc is as nice as I've ever seen. However, I must decline. My good pal Russell has one (with lots of HRC stuff) and I can borrow it, so there!
That is such an attractive proposition I have to wonder if you hit your head today. Maybe I can just visit your shop someday.
The real story is that all of my motorcycles are solo seat, the TR6 is 2-seats and my 6 year old son is really starting to get into cars & bikes. I am so excited to have him along as we blaze around that I already have a booster for the rear of the 911. I have loved 911's forever. My 1st slot car set in 1975 set had a targa and a C111 and I always took the p-car. I wore out the pages of road and track when they featured those b+b cars in the late '70's and 80's. Now that the new cars are in my price range for a DD lease I sadly find them unappealing. The older cars (993's and RS America) were too pricy for the nice ones until I found this car in the weeds. What sealed it is that the WB 993 is just about the best looking car of the last 30 years IMHO, and this color combo is tough to beat. I was fortunate to drive a 993 targa when it was almost brand new and the memory has stuck with me. By the way, if you are the current owner of a silver over red targa with burl dash and wheel and a lot of special order items like the aero kit and motor sound I am sorry for what I did to your car on the highway between Ft Lauderdale and Miami. Kie, I do appreciate your offers and i'm envious of your inventory, but, I'm sticking with this car for a while.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Christian J
Racer

1st run
http://youtu.be/qzmJyi-O_38
Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Christian J
Racer

Its alive!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JOY!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well done ...
Old 10-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also owned an RC30. Purchased new from Midlothian Honda back in 1992, it was number 222.
one bike I should have never sold. I also owned the RC51 back in 2002 and came close to buying an RC45.
I now have a 2007 25th anneversay VFR.
OH well,
AL Z
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 AM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! Can't wait for the next update!

Quick Reply: New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?