Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 234 Posts

WHOOOOOWHo!

Daytime pics please!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Waiting to see final pics.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First road trip

A few weeks ago I was able to take a great trip up to Montreal to catch the F1 races. I left Boston on a Thursday and followed back roads all the way to Woodstock, VT. It was really nice; 3rd & 4th gear, windows & sunroof open, nice weather, engine revving, exhaust noise and some music streaming through the new DEH-80PRS. After a break in Woodstock that ran a little longer than I expected I had to take the highway the rest of the way. It was a little frustrating.. I was in and out of rain so the interior was hot (a/c isnt blowing cool air). 6th gear droning on the highway is dull and made me realize that, compared to my super-cushy suv, the footwell is cramped, seats are narrow for my non-German frame, the expansion joints and frost heaves are annoying with the pss10's, lots of wind noise, stereo is limited with 5 1/4" speakers, etc. etc.
I arrived in Montreal a bit tired but excited to get to the F1. Two great things about the car: I didn't worry that it was parked in an open space at the hotel AND it was one of the nicest looking cars in the lot, which is saying something during the F1 weekend.
The return trip on Sunday night was very special. Once I crossed into the US I was surprised to find almost no traffic. I left it in 5th and cruised at about 4000 rpm, accelerating through the corners and coasting down the hills. The car was fantastic!! Intake roar and real thrust when I tipped into the throttle. The aggressive alignment, pss10/walrod suspension, etc. all makes sense at higher speeds. I got through VT in almost no time at all.
The following morning I thought i'd wash the car and finally post some clean pics of the finished product but I realized that then it would be just another shiny black /cashmere 911. I thought that it the car was at its best just as it sat in the driveway...
A few changes to the exterior can be seen. I used the older (orange) badge because I liked the look over the correct candy-red-ish newer type. I dropped in ebay Turbo-s ducts with yellow bulbs. The split grille is painted matte black for a more vintage look. I had to paint it anyway, as all the polishing in the world wasn't getting it back to good shape. Remember that just a few months earlier there were plants growing through this grille. I've really enjoyed driving this car and now I fully understand why you guys are such fanatics. My old TR6 is wonderful but a completely different experience and I can't imagine ever parting with this 911. Its not the fastest car but the feel is great, as you all know.
I have a few jobs to take care of this summer; get the a/c blowing cold, replace a few interior trim screws that I lost over the winter, install the golden rod and ssk that FDM sent me months ago and when are those gauge trim rings ever going to be done??? This winter I'll super-clean the interior and recondition the leather on the seats.
Attached Images     
Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian J

Remember that just a few months earlier there were plants growing through this grille.
Christian-- Simply amazing!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian J
My old TR6 is wonderful but a completely different experience and I can't imagine ever parting with this 911. Its not the fastest car but the feel is great.
Yes. :-)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 AM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for taking us along with you on the journey!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great to see the car restored and you're out killing bugs with it!!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 551 Likes on 374 Posts

Christian,

It's great to hear the car is back to it's full glory. Once you get the A/C sorted, you'll be in heaven.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 AM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was just thinking to myself last night, "I haven't seen any updates from Christian's yard find in awhile..."

<twilight zone music>

Thanks for the update! Congrats on bringing this one back from near-dead!

- Dave
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome job! There must be a certain amount of peace you get from bringing a car back from the brink and then just enjoying it ... not over obsessing or trying to restore it back to perfect .. but just getting it as good as it can be and drive it. Kudo's to you!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 347 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Great to see the car restored and you're out killing bugs with it!!
x2!

I just spent a few minutes playing catch up......

This is the best 993 story yet!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Christian: thanks for the update, and I take it that you weren't affected by the demonstrators.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Fantastic Christian! What a great feeling to rescue a car like this and make her roadworthy again. I think most of us feel that having a 993 is more about "perserving" the car than "owning" it. We're like caretakers for these machines and it's important that as many of them stay on the road as possible. Following this thread I think gives us all a sense of pride and happiness because one more of these incredible cars has been "saved" and put back on the road where it belongs.

Conversely, when someone posts a thread about a wrecked car (one recently came up regarding a trashed 4S I believe), it's heartbreaking to see. We obviously first and foremost want to know that no one got hurt, but then our thoughts turn to the fact that there's one less of these cars out there for someone to enjoy. And that's a real shame.

Enjoy her!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Christian, we need to get together to do the tie rod pinning.

Buzz me, you have my number.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Christian J
Racer

Thanks for the kind words!

Quick Reply: New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?