Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 PM
jnoble79
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it still a barn find if you find it in a parking lot one year later?!

Very nice meeting you Christian.

Super cool to run into a 993 on vacation and already know the story behind it before ever laying eyes on the car.
Attached Images   
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this car a blessing, or a curse?.....................

Name:  38050_tuned.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.9 KB
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd forgotten all about this project. Glad you stuck with it!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts

How did I ever miss this thread... Was worth playing catch up. This needs to be in Excellence. What a story!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I'd give an update:
Mechanically, the car has been great. I put a few thousand miles on in 2012 including some track time. The left rear caliper is sticking and the left cable on the sunroof broke. Oil consumption (and power) is normal so I'll go on the record that the engine was fine after the 8 year slumber. We determined that the clear coat had failed. It was impossible to keep a glossy finish, despite the application of numerous products. I buffed the car so many times last summer that I eventually pushed through the clear in a few spots so the decision was made to repaint. It was so tempting to keep the car as-is; a low maintenance, albeit dull, black finish is really a blessing. However, the car is so close to being 'perfect', I expect long-term ownership and I was able to find an experienced painter looking for a winter side project that it made good sense to paint.
I spent a few weekends stripping off the bumpers, removing the sunroof, etc and of course the project has grown to include a seat refurb, gauge detail, rear wiper delete, resistor change, etc. Somehow, 030 sways got tacked onto the parts order...
I'll post up some photos but It's really just another bare metal respray!
Please don't push for a color change. I've agonized for weeks over a change but I'm sticking with black. I think.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Color change!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian J
Not a valid excuse Please post, I love this stuff. Congrats on the car and thanks for the update.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Just spent the last hour catching up on this thread after finding it by accident. I vote for not painting it. The patina is part of it's history.

Yes, you have to do a full story for Panorama or Excellence. It's a great barn/yard find story.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian J
I thought I'd give an update:
Mechanically, the car has been great. I put a few thousand miles on in 2012 including some track time. The left rear caliper is sticking and the left cable on the sunroof broke. Oil consumption (and power) is normal so I'll go on the record that the engine was fine after the 8 year slumber. We determined that the clear coat had failed. It was impossible to keep a glossy finish, despite the application of numerous products. I buffed the car so many times last summer that I eventually pushed through the clear in a few spots so the decision was made to repaint. It was so tempting to keep the car as-is; a low maintenance, albeit dull, black finish is really a blessing. However, the car is so close to being 'perfect', I expect long-term ownership and I was able to find an experienced painter looking for a winter side project that it made good sense to paint.
I spent a few weekends stripping off the bumpers, removing the sunroof, etc and of course the project has grown to include a seat refurb, gauge detail, rear wiper delete, resistor change, etc. Somehow, 030 sways got tacked onto the parts order...
Please don't push for a color change. I've agonized for weeks over a change but I'm sticking with black. I think.
Am I the only one that likes the rear wiper and wishes I had one? .
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing. Dont' paint it any other color but black man.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Most won't push for a color change here, IMO.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

paint it and enjoy it but keep lot's of pictures of the original condition. great story...
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default latest photos

too late to save the patina. A friend has an old corvette with the nicest worn black paint so I can understand the appeal of patina but my car did not have a cool finish. It was hazy, like someone sprayed wd40 in the air about 10' away.
The rear lower bumper bolts had some corrosion and had to be cut off but otherwise everything came apart smoothly. Side glass is out and the doors are off. The windshield frame is clean so I left that in and the rear window frame had just a smidge of rust that was removed with the glass in. Its great to be working with a painter on T&M who takes his time, discusses options and is proud of his work. I have dozens of photos showing the car before work started, while panels were being stripped, bare metal, etc. There were a couple of door dings and an odd dent on the top of the right rear fender; supposedly where a trash can lid was dropped.
I have a big box of new body gaskets, hardware, sunroof cables, etc. When its back together the car should be pretty mint. I think only the faded gauge needles will give away its history
Since it was on jackstands I did change to RS motor mounts. These things just happen, I can't help it!
I was mixed about removing the rear wiper. I like the practical & technical nature of it. It makes you think that these cars are good for 110 in the rain all day long. However, I have NEVER used it on purpose and the occasional dry sweep when the button is inadvertently pressed is painful to watch. All of my take-offs are boxed, labeled and on a shelf waiting for the day when my son throws them into a dumpster...
Hours have been spent looking at slate gray flat & metallic or Prussian Blue or Nachtblau??? Ossi is a great color too. I am at ease with the idea that its not a full body shell repaint so a color change is a sort of 'short cut'.
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the pictures coming! I had completely forgotten about this thread.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Color changes are tacky, IMO , let it live with the color it came with-but I'm with you, I'd repaint too.

Quick Reply: New car, or, Is it still a barn find if it was outside?