Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

One of our RL 993 brethren is ill

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the photos, Jager. It helps the pit in my stomach just a bit.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
DanielD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're all going to miss him. Just a super person. I think he will want us all to give him a toast at the Escape in Eureka Springs this year. No doubt!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielD

We're all going to miss him. Just a super person. I think he will want us all to give him a toast at the Escape in Eureka Springs this year. No doubt!
Absolutely, Dan. Chuck's a fighter.
I'm not giving up hope on a miracle, & that you can still drive him to AR yourself for the fun & the big banquet.

Back to the photo story in progress of our June 26 surprise visit: I know he enjoyed you driving him out for a Huey Burger.
Didn't we spend over 3-4 hours at Huey's?! That sounds crazy -- but makes sense when I remember how incredibly special that day was.

The view of your 928 while Grant & I watched Chuck's animated enjoyment, as he re-connected with another RLer:

Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Thanks for the photos, Jager. It helps the pit in my stomach just a bit.
Mark-- You're welcome, sir!

What helps me the most is is knowing that Chuck's extended family enjoyed last month's vacation together, & has those wonderful memories to forever cherish.

During a July 21 call with Chuck while I drove to RJT's, he said his vacation was shortened by a small seizure, & his employer had him Life-Flighted back home. However, you could practically hear the smile on his face, as he thought back to the beach house fun with all the family.
From my first PM with Chuck I've always been amazed by his quick wit and humor. Talking to him after the July WI seizure was no different: so high-spirited, warm, and sharp while we chatted. An inspiration.

SO happy that Chuck's family had that time together.

When Grant, Dan, & I got together with the Sertichs June 26, the whole family was excited that they'd soon leave for two weeks of fun without doctors.

Both Chuck & Katie were proudly sporting shirts from Door County, MI (see previous page's photos).
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

he enjoyed you driving him out for a Huey Burger.
Didn't we spend over 3-4 hours at Huey's?! That sounds crazy.
Crazy is a bunch of 'mild-mannered' fellas taking Chuck out for dinner ... & his wife having to wonder where he was 4 hours later
Katie texted me, jokingly asking if we were ever bringing her husband back.

After my long drive home, she later wrote that Chuck was still smiling in his sleep after the day was long over.
The happy RL clan with that happy man, finishing out a perfect July day...

Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Although, I have yet to meet Chuck in person I have had the plesure of having many conversations over the phone with him. We always planned to meet up while I was living in Louisville a few years back, but due to my divorce and moving away from louisville it never happen. I countinued to stay in touch with him over the phone over the last few years. When I was going to sell me duck tail, he was the first person that came to mind. I knew he would enjoy it on his car, so we made arrangements to get it to him. I still recall the phone conversation and his enthusiasm when he open the box.
I continue to pray and hope for a "milagro" so Chuck can recover. He is one excellent human being and
a great family man. My prayers go to him, Kate and their entire family.
Hang in there Chuck.....

Al Z

Last edited by Al Z; 08-08-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Al Z

I continue to pray and hope for a "milagro" so Chuck can recover.
He is one excellent human being and a great family man. My prayers go to him, Kate and their entire family.
Hang in there Chuck.....
+993 ^^
Originally Posted by Al Z

I still recall the phone conversation and his enthusiasim when he open the box.
Al-- I can vouch for that enthusiasm, as he shared the story with me at every opportunity.
That duck tail makes his awesome 993 even better.
So cool that you had already painted it the right color, and put the 'Carrera 3.6 sticker' on it, IIRC.

Likewise, he was eager to talk about the RLers that helped with his "3.6" badge, exhaust, shifter, wheels, etc.

Rennlist. Is this place great or what? (apologies to who ever first posted that truism)

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jag,

Great pictures and memories. Chuck looks a little 'wasted' compared to the Chuck we met in Dallas.

I was glad he took my Ruf out for a solo when he was in Dallas. I told him anytime he and Katie vacation in the SF area, the Ruf is his local 'rental'. So sad they never made it out west since. Also thankful I sneaked behind his back and prepaid for his dinner at ThreeForks. He would never allow that if I did it openly.

If I could raise him on the phone again, I'd just put the phone by the exhaust and let her rip, imaging the smile on his face all that time.

Hopefully some day. Praying to be that way. I do miss the big guy.

CP
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I visited Chuck at the hospice this morning. He is on some pretty strong pain-killers, and was resting comfortably while I was there. Several of his colleagues and employees (and past employees) came by to see him. I am certain that as the word gets out, the visitor's log will fill up with names. Chuck touched a lot of people, and they truly love him at work.
Katie is doing well, under the circumstances. I know it was a relief to get Chuck out of the "damn hospital" (her words) and into a much nicer environment.
My gut feeling is that it won't be long, and it's hard as hell to say this, but it may be a blessing.
Y'all go back to post #64 and have a look at ca993twin's picture of Chuck. That's the Chuck I will remember.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Thanks for the update Grant.

I was planning on starting a "photos with Chuck" thread a little later. I have a few from Palooza and some from TN Tubs BBQ event to share.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

This is the sad part of all of our lives. My thoughts are with Chuck and his family.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
DanielD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from seeing Chuck and family at hospice a few minutes ago. When I arrived at the desk and asked for his room the attendant said, "He's a very popular guy." I told him you just had to know him.
I spoke with Katie, their son and other friends while Chuck was sleeping. Apparently, there's been a steady stream of folks today. Katie's hanging in there; she's one tough lady.
I'm praying for my friend and his family.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I am glad to hear he is resting comfortably an has visitors. If his time is truly short, it's important that he have family and friends with him to keep him at ease.

I love Chuck. He has an amazing attitude and is fun to boot.
This world needs MORE Chucks not less......

Thank you for the updates.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I too, while only knowing Chuck online, do feel connected and appreciate the updates. It is comforting to know he has family and friends surrounding him, and that he is in so many peoples thoughts and prayers. That is one's true legacy and evidence of their footprints on this planet.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I too, while only knowing Chuck online, do feel connected and appreciate the updates. It is comforting to know he has family and friends surrounding him, and that he is in so many peoples thoughts and prayers. That is one's true legacy and evidence of their footprints on this planet.
Can't possibly say it better than that. Very nice, Ed.

I've been following this thread and I too appreciate the updates.

I just went for a long drive, it's been awhile. Stopped to check the oil, I thought of Chuck. Sometimes it's the simple things.... He and his family are in my thoughts.

Quick Reply: One of our RL 993 brethren is ill