Sea to Sky Highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Sea to Sky Highway

I have a love/hate relationship with my home town Vancouver. Most of the days you will find me bitching and moaning about the liquid sunshine we get. Especially this year it seemed to rain every single day! So I hate Vancouver, most of the time But on days like today there is no better place on earth! For a couple of days the sun has been out although still a bit chilly it is THE perfect weather to enjoy a 993 especially my cabrio Although sadly she is still for sale, as of the past week she became my daily driver as I returned my leased daily driver so we are down to 3 cars. I would not fathom to daily drive my other 993 so the cabrio it is. My company purchased a hotel in Squamish which is on the way to Whistler and on the Sea to Sky highway. Despite the depressing speed limits and cops roaming up and down, its still an amazing road to drive. After the Olympics its smooth, curvy in all the right places, if it was a race track it would be perfect as you get into a nice rhythm with various corners to play with. So as I'm responsible for this new acquisition, I have a good excuse to drive up and down the mountain
Here are some pics! Needless to say that the buyer of my cabrio will have to pry me off the driver's seat! Nothing compares driving a 993 with the top down. Nothing!
Attached Images      
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Danny

AWESOME!!!!

Hope you get maximum pleasure out of it before it's gone!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

#like
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 AM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such a gorgeous area! And in the Summer it stays light quite late into the evening. I had the good fortune to work there regularly 1988-1990 .. way overdue for a return trip.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Danny, I spotted you down on Marine drive yesterday....tried to flash you but you were in the cab, top down and looked like you were enjoying yourself!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome Danny!

You know the weather here is a "tad" sunnier but the roads there seem "tad" better then here...
Reminds me of the road going into Genova (Italy) which is like a race track...
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Testdr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice ! Was just there for my honeymoon last month, last visit was back in 05. Spend 3 weeks driving around southern BC (Kelowna, Osoyoos, Banff, Whistler and Victoria). I forget how beautiful the place is. My wife loved the place the moment we touched down and asked me when we can settle there. Hope you guys dont mind, its not porsche related :P and yes.... we couldnt help ourselves and rented a Dodge Charger it was either that or a Camry....no brainer.
Attached Images    
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Yea, it's been a CRAP year! Good to see you seizing the day & going for a drive on a great road! Hopefully all the winter rocks are gone.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hey Danny, I spotted you down on Marine drive yesterday....tried to flash you but you were in the cab, top down and looked like you were enjoying yourself!!

Cheers,

Mike
Where on Marine? Too bad I missed ya Yes I was in heaven yesterday! What a mood changer driving a 993 in perfect weather!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DJF1
Where on Marine? Too bad I missed ya Yes I was in heaven yesterday! What a mood changer driving a 993 in perfect weather!
Do not remember the cross street. I was heading west on Marine, and you were heading south and then turned left on Marine going east (likely heading home). Past Byrne road.......

It was hard to stop and talk, we were heading the opposite directions, and you had already gone....but looked happy. :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

You aren't the only ones with constant rain. It has been raining almost every day here for the last two months. When it doesn't though
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I just got my car detailed and took it out for the first time yesterday too. Finally a sign that summer is coming! Looks like it might rain on the weekend though

Personally though, I preferred the Sea to Sky before the Olympics. It had more 1 lane driving but it had many more twisty sections and hairpins. The hwy has basically been straightened and neutered. Still a great (and safer) drive though and the fresh pavement is very nice.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad You Enjoy the Highway. I worked as a technical designer on that project with the O.E. I just wish I still lived out there so I could enjoy my handy work more often.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SOS
Personally though, I preferred the Sea to Sky before the Olympics. It had more 1 lane driving but it had many more twisty sections and hairpins. The hwy has basically been straightened and neutered. Still a great (and safer) drive though and the fresh pavement is very nice.
Agreed, BUT 90% of the time you got stuck behind some mini van or a truck and I did not enjoy a great road at all! At least now you can leave them behind and the highway has some very interesting sections still to enjoy.

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Glad You Enjoy the Highway. I worked as a technical designer on that project with the O.E. I just wish I still lived out there so I could enjoy my handy work more often.
Nice work! Do you have any pull to get the cops away from it? It is such a shame this road to have a 50mph speed limit and in sections of it 35!!! I mean, come on!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with SOS, having driven the road from when the early 70's (yes, I am that old), it used to be very challenging, really fun in a sports car, and the truck traffic was much less than now...so overall it was great. I almost killed myself and three buddies one time though - we did the Black Tusk Hike starting at 3AM, got to the top of the Tusk, and then back to the parking lot in the late afternoon - and then started to drive home. I fell asleep at the wheel before Britannia Beach, but luckily one of my buddies was still awake in the back seat and yelled to wake me up --- I was headed off the highway towards those nice scenic 100'+ drops to the ocean!

I agree with Danny, what the heck is this with the speed limits being so low. Its very frustrating on this sort of road, and feels like the intention is to give speeding tickets for addition revenue.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Sea to Sky Highway