Sponsored by:

I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Okay, I'll bite: please define what you mean by "driving hard"? Does this mean track driving where one is always hitting redline in gears 2, 3 and 4 for 20 to 90 minute durations or does it mean street driving with frequent forays to redline once every five miles with wide open throttle application or does it mean driving at high speeds (over 110 mph) for durations of 30 minutes or more or does it mean something else? I think if you desire empirical proof, the question needs to be defined with a much higher degree of reference.
Wish I could define it better actually....this is the quote from the buyers guide that got this all started:

" You could have a failure if the previous owner ran low on oil, used the wrong plugs, or consistently shifted below 3,000 rpm.

The improved reliability of 964, 993, and 996 has enticed many individuals to buy their first Porsche. But getting first-time owners to run the engine past 4,500 rpm is difficult. The truth is, it's more harmful if you don't run these engines."

I personally define driving hard as longer periods or many instances of high revs (above 4500) and high load (75% throttle opening or more)

Originally Posted by rsr91128
I drive the **** out of my car because it is a more enjoyable experience for me and so far the engine is holding up just fine.

When it wears out i will have just as much fun rebuilding it as I did wearing it out.

I have proof that tires last longer with zero camber and taking turns at the minimum speed possible.

I also have proof that brake pads last longer when not used.

I am not going to drive in straight lines at slow speeds and never use my brakes just to preserve the components.

Even if you have proof that redline is best are you going to change your driving habits because someone on the internet said so? Did you buy a Turbo because of it's documented incredible reliability under 3000k rpm?

Sometimes "proof" of what is best just does not matter, tonight I'll have a cigar and a scotch because even though there is proof that they are bad for me I still enjoy them.

Drive it how you want, it's your car.
I think you misunderstand me. I agree with every single point in your post. I drive my car hard because its fun and I enjoy it...but at the same time, I know that this type of driving tends to wear out parts faster. Some people argue otherwise, and thats what I'm questioning.

Originally Posted by Rassel
The wear and tear of that engine will come from 3k-3.5k usage. Some engines are optimized for that usage and will last long. Some engines are not.
Now this is one of those statements I'd like some sort of evidence of.

You say revving the engine to between 3000rpm and 3500rm causes [more] wear than revving higher. What parts are being worn in this instance, and why is that rpm band so dangerous?

How do higher revs benefit the engine?

Originally Posted by axl911
Time and technology+engineering have change many things. "What is hard", "level of performance", and "for how long" probably changed since 1990s.

You also probably have a point there where "driven hard" meant street-driven hard, rather than 24 hours Lemans hard.
I agree that technology has marched on, and thats also one of the reasons that the "drive hard" recommendation is based on outdated ignition and fuel injection systems.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I understand your initial question, but you do have a rather incendiary way of communicating...

Have you considered switching brands? Maybe a Porsche is not the right sports car for you.

Andreas
Nah, I'm fine with my car. I don't really think its that well engineered, nor do I think its very well built or that the engines are all that bulletproof, but it has good enough performance, good enough looks, and I like the interior appearance very much. For reference, ferraris and lambos are even worse and neither BMW or Mercedes make a sports car that interests me.

Originally Posted by jmarch
Mustang?
Had a 99 cobra for 9 years. The car made more horsepower at the wheels than a GT2 RS makes at the crank, yet the engine was very solid.

I know you guys poo-poo mustangs, but my cobra had a factory cylinder block capable of repeatedly withstanding over 1300bhp, and a forged and fully counterweighted crank.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
eyeslasher1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can i ask a question in a different way/

suppose
you had two identical porsche engines and
you drove one at 3000 rpm and
the other one at 5000 rpm
would it be logical to conclude that the
engine driven at a slower engine speed
would have less wear on its movable parts
and as a result last longer
(all other things being equal)
Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Based on racing engines, shifting short of the redline increases engine life. Cup engines redline higher than GT3 engines and PMNA suggests 40 hour refresh intervals vs 4 years 80,000 KM on the street car. Ferrari Corsa Cliente F1 cars reduce the red line by 3,000 RPM and are considered to have indefinite life compared to 19,000 RPM redlines. At peak piston speeds, bolts stretch, bearings take a beating etc.

OTOH that is not to say that the occasional trip to the red line with shorten engine life. Street engines have a rev limit which is in keeping with the expected life of the engine. I seriously doubt if shifting at 5,000 RPM has any effect on engine life as opposed to say 3,500. But, I have no proof of this There is a difference between using and engine "hard" and abusing it.
I agree that regular revving the car up is not abuse and is generally not causing any dramatic reduction in life.

But I also don't think its beneficial or extending the life of the engine.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by eyeslasher1
can i ask a question in a different way/

suppose
you had two identical porsche engines and
you drove one at 3000 rpm and
the other one at 5000 rpm
would it be logical to conclude that the
engine driven at a slower engine speed
would have less wear on its movable parts
and as a result last longer
(all other things being equal)
yes, that is a good way of asking the question.

I'll even go down to 2000rpm.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

I personally define driving hard as longer periods or many instances of high revs (above 4500) and high load (75% throttle opening or more)
Please define "longer period" in terms of either a specific time period or a range of time, and please define "many instances of high revs" in terms of an actual number occurrences per minute or hour or days or weeks or...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I understand your initial question, but you do have a rather incendiary way of communicating...

Have you considered switching brands? Maybe a Porsche is not the right sports car for you.

Andreas
The underlying issue OP raises is interesting. The reason, I think, that one might expect evidence before driving the crap out of their Porsche is that it is a counter-intuitive proposition. It wouldn't seem that making an engine spin really quickly would make it last a long time. And, it wouldn't seem that a car company would design a street car that is essentially ill-suited for ordinary street use (i.e., using reasonable amounts of fuel and generating a moderate amount of noise / pollution at ordinary speeds). As for evidence to the contrary -- racing engines, which are presumably designed specifically for high rpm much more so than the engine in your 993 -- have to be rebuilt very frequently compared to street vehicles.

There's nothing wrong with someone challenging the way you think, and asking follow up questions. That's how our knowledge gets better.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Please define "longer period" in terms of either a specific time period or a range of time, and please define "many instances of high revs" in terms of an actual number occurrences per minute or hour or days or weeks or...
I'll say at least 50 miles or 30 minutes of driving per day.

Many instances would be 1 rev above said rpms every few minutes (few meaning between 2 and say 5)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Did anyone mention these engines are bullett proof?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
at least 993 times
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

It is heat from friction that wears out engines.

So as long as you are within the specified operational window it probably doesn't much matter if you are running at 1000 rpms or 6000 rpms as long as it doesn't operate in excess of X degrees, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 degrees at which point oil starts to break down.

Automotive engineers typically use a 30% safety margin, which is quite a lot.

The rest of this is just a philosophical debate to kill time and burn up 12 pages on nonesense.

If I have a cast iron ring and run it along an alu cylinder wall that is infinately long and the manuafacter says the service life is 459,000 miles. Does mater much if I go along at 1mph or 2? It's still going to wear out in 459,000 miles.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

one time at band camp..................
Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Makmov
It is heat from friction that wears out engines.

So as long as you are within the specified operational window it probably doesn't much matter if you are running at 1000 rpms or 6000 rpms as long as it doesn't operate in excess of X degrees, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 degrees at which point oil starts to break down.

Automotive engineers typically use a 30% safety margin, which is quite a lot.

The rest of this is just a philosophical debate to kill time and burn up 12 pages on nonesense.
Thats great...but it doesn't address the fundamental question.

Is driving the car hard (high load and high rpm) beneficial to the engine?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Mustang?

Andreas
Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Thats great...but it doesn't address the fundamental question.

Is driving the car hard (high load and high rpm) beneficial to the engine?
There is probably an optimum range that is the most beneficial and efficient.

It is probably on a dyno the average of torque and hp meet because theoretically that is where it’s running at it most efficient.

It is frictional heat that kills them, therefore at it's most efficient it would creating the least amount of fictional heat for the longest distance - in very simple basic terms.

Which I suspect is in the higher rpm ranges.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B.H.

at least 993 times

Yes but I can't believe that no one asked are they bullet proof even with the engine tray removed.
After all that is some really strong plastic.
Mike

Quick Reply: I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense