993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011 | 11:23 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Gee, I turn my attention away from RL for a few hours, and I come back to this.

I have neither proof nor automotive engineering credentials to back this up, so I will have to leave it as mere supposition: These cars were designed to certain operating parameters which most very likely included high rpms. Part designs and assemblies were all geared to work optimally within those target ranges. Therefore, it is entirely conceivable that when the engine is operated outside those ranges (high or low), sub-optimal performance and perhaps even excessive wear can occur.

Long ago in a thread far, far away, I believe Steve Weiner noted how chattery the timing chain was at 3000rpm but how settled it was at 4000rpm. Even the resonances of the moving parts seems to have been dialed in to perform optimally at certain points. Weight and balance - for these reasons, I find it entirely plausible that running the engine at the rpms where it was designed for - where it performs its best - would result in longer life.

And to further buttress my claim, look at the tach - 4000rpm is right in the center, at the top of the dial. That must be where the sweet spot is.
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:48 PM
911dean
Intermediate

sorry my last post went alittle off topic. What I'm trying to say is the reason an air cooled Porsche will be my next car, is hard driving seems to be what these cars were designed to do. If you want to drive them at less than optimal rpm ranges there certainly would be a better choice of automobile.
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
4-cam, hi there. Honestly, no need to be inflammatory.

When knowledgeable persons agree a dry sump Porsche engine is designed to be driven hard, they are stating a patently observable and verifiable truth.

If you drive a well-maintained 993 (or SC, or 3.2 or 964, or GT3) on the track (i.e. hard) it would, by design, provide many tens of thousands of miles of trouble-free operation. This is a fact.

If you were to drive a well-maintained (insert name here) on the track, it would in realtively short order, be inoperable. And that assumes the transmission, clutch or brakes did not catch fire first.

By design, these cars are designed to be driven hard. With few exceptions, the vast majority of other cars are not. Surely you don't find this statement objectionable?

As for the driving moderately vs. drving hard, did any thinking person suggest more RPM and more heat results in less wear? I didn't think so.

So really, what's the fuss?

Best,

Matt
Thanks for the input Matt...could you help me on a few points.

1. You say knowledgeable people agree that running the car hard is beneficial. Could you identify some of them, and possibly link (if available) where they have made the comments, and WHY they feel that way....the why is most important to me.

2. I actually disagree. A well maintained 993 or sc or gt3 could last forever at the track, or it could blow up two laps in. That is 100% a crap shoot. Any engine can fail at any time for any reason.

3. You say that X brand engines (and trannies, clutches, etc) cannot handle similar abuse.

That is a VERY strong statement. This is one of the statements I'd like to see some evidence of. I have NO reason to believe a bmw, mercedes, corvette, mustang, etc would not handle this as well.

4. I do find the statement objectionable. You say the car was meant to drive hard. I say it was meant to drive like any other modern car...at all rpm ranges and throttle positions.

5. Yes, people seem to think driving HARD is beneficial over driving the car moderately. Hence my confusion.

Originally Posted by Leon993
Quadcammer,

I think you may have misunderstood the phrase: "meant to be driven hard".

Its not that if you ride it hard it wont be as good later. What this simply means is that with a 911 you have more RANGE of intensity of how you drive it simply because of the deep, obsessive, highly technical german philosophy of how to build a machine. Simply put: they can take more pressure than most engines of other manufacturers.

"Its meant to be driven hard" ultimately means: "its a shame if you DONT drive it hard, it means "you wasted your money if you never push your 911 to its limits every once in a while." After all, its FUN to do!

Its really not a big deal, just take your 911 for Starbucks lattes and country club poses at if thats what you like...its a free country bro

....I myself catalogued 173mph in mine, it was still, dignified and I never felt it was going to fall part. Honestly, while the world whizzed by me so so fast, the car itself felt normal. So I guess they are meant to be driven hard.
I agree its fun, I do it all the time. The question is whether its GOOD for the car. I certainly don't take my car for lattes or "posing" at the CC.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Quad, it's all good. You're passionate sometimes, for sure, and it can come across a little brusque. But your enthusiasm and depth of knowledge are appreciated.

Cheers
Sometimes I go overboard. Either way, all I wanted from this was some knowledgeable discussion and hopefully some evidence. I'd love it if the knowledgeable techs could weigh in.
Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
What would Celina say?
off topic, but I had to laugh at that.

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Sorry that I lost you. But seriously? Who is talking about emmisions or noise supression? Buy a Prius if you are concerned with that. We are talking about a Porsche here. Fuel Economy? Noise? Drive the car under 3K rpms? really???
yes, we are talking about a porsche. so what? While I enjoy driving my car hard, I think its absolutely silly to zing along on the highway at 3000rpm+ for no reason. Its loud and it wastes gas with no benefit whatsoever.

You seem to think there is something wrong with driving under 3k rpms...why is that? In fact, during normal driving, I shift at about 3k rpm.

Ferraris and Hyundais with automatic transmissions? Again...I'm talking about manual transmission sport cars. You can tell the difference if the engine has been babied, nothing to do with transmission as it is manual, not adaptive.
This is sadly what I was hoping to avoid. You've basically said that its a "feeling" you get. However, the lack of quantifiable information here makes it difficult to verify. I feel like my car runs better after an oil change too...but I know it doesn't.

I have mine, and you have yours. As I said before, keep babying your car, I'll drive mine like it should. We'll compare notes in 10 years. [/QUOTE]

Please note I don't baby my car at all. I'm of the opinion that when it wears out, I'll replace it. I just don't convince myself that I'm doing my car any favors when I get on it.

Originally Posted by abiazis
Great post.........enjoying the comments, except from one poster who took it off track.........

Driving hard probably = less carbon deposits in the engine since increased heat and pressure helps carbon burn off cleaner in the valves, combustion chambers, SAI ports, etc......

Italian tune up basically = cleaner engine = better running efficiency........while the wear is under control with regular oil changes, proper maintenance, etc...

As far as cleaning or burning off the oil contamination, not sure if that is valid with running hard or hotter...........greater heat possibly evaporates any water or condensation that may have gotten in the oil, etc...don't know...

Driving up to 4500 rpms most of the time won't get that better burn/clean in the combustion areas of the engine..........running hard helps that, for a while until engine eventually wears out........makes sense that if you run it harder, it will wear out faster and if you run it relatively gently it may last longer as far as metal parts wearing out, but gentle use causes the engine to eventually run less efficient over its lifetime due to carbon build-up, an engine never broken in to the maximum or most effective metal wear tolerances - again a BIG maybe..

Interesting topic/question that was started by Quad......good read most of the thread........

All engines wear and some are better than others.......the Porsches built from 99-2009 through 997.1 were not the best for durability (IMS bearing/shaft issues, engine failures at low miles under 20K, RMS constant leaks, etc..) so every manufacturer has issues depending on the management or R&D regime of people in place, like any business at certain times in their history......

Drive the car, enjoy it, sell it, get another one, drive it, sell it, etc......Porsches happen to be a very fun car to drive........relatively speaking, at either 50mph around 30 mph curves, cruising at 30 mph through a city or tunnel hearing the engine note, or smoking over 150 mph on an open interstate with no traffic for the adrenalin rush..............
good post...I"m glad the discussion has returned to the topic.
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911dean
sorry my last post went alittle off topic. What I'm trying to say is the reason an air cooled Porsche will be my next car, is hard driving seems to be what these cars were designed to do. If you want to drive them at less than optimal rpm ranges there certainly would be a better choice of automobile.
the question is whats optimal.

I say its 4k rpm max (hypothetically), you say its 6750rpm at all times.

Whose right?
Old 02-18-2011 | 12:27 AM
911dean
Intermediate

I don't think anybody is right or wrong it's your car drive it as you please. I just think the design of these cars lend to hard driving thats all. The reason I find one to be a great car to own, for me.
Old 02-18-2011 | 12:30 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I worked on an 89 speedster with museum miles on it that was running like ****. Customer would let it idle once a week or so and putt it around the block.

pulled a plug and as expected they where black as night.
Old 02-18-2011 | 01:38 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Although I have no proof, I can often tell when someone's acting like a dick, even without empirical data to back it up.

It's sorta like that.
Full Platinum.

Andreas
Old 02-18-2011 | 02:04 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Well, this is certainly the topic of the day. Too bad I spent my day in epic powder (marginally successfully) on a snowboard?

I'm not going to go through 10 pages to make my observation; maybe it's been noted. What came to me circa 1980 when I got involved with these things were two failure points "experts" passed along about the earliest of the 2.0L cars. One, there was some issue with rod bearings on cars that were known to have been "lugged." Second was the horribly inadequate ignition system originally fitted. Holed pistons, continually fouled plugs, etc. when not run hard. Anecdotal? Sure. But the same story came from more than one of the high end Bay Area shops of the day; and these guys saw a lot of cars when they were new/newish.

So maybe it's just something that's carried forward, for no good reason.
Old 02-18-2011 | 02:27 AM
djmojo
Intermediate

My 2 cents: upon reading through the manual etc when I bought my '95 993 it made mention as to driving it "spirtedly", that stuck with me....
Just last month when I had it at Barrier getting the recall wiring harness and Cab top installed I stopped in to check on it.
The Tech working on it said that in checking all the usual relay's etc that can go bad they all checked out.
His words " you must DRIVE this car" ?
Huh? I say's..
" what I mean is most aren't driven as designed and they carbon up..."
Nowhere did he say drive it "hard" just as in the manual says "spiritedly"
You got a problem with that? Throw on some Stage III Fisters and the R's are music!
Good post, I laughed at most.
Cheers
Old 02-18-2011 | 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

some ppl worry too much.
EVERY car is made to be "used", "driven" or "driven hard".
i clip redlines routinely in my porsches, bmws, wife's lexus, honda, mbz, audi and even my diesel GMC. it doesn't matter. when it breaks, you fix it or buy another one. why worry...
Old 02-18-2011 | 02:57 AM
djmojo
Intermediate

You got it Mooty,,,,but the exhaust valve guides were a BS attempt....
Old 02-18-2011 | 08:07 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Quad, arguing, for the sake of arguing, and demanding others to provide proof when you have none to share, is pointless. And so is this thread. Unsubscribed.
Old 02-18-2011 | 10:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I take my cars for Lattes all the time on weekends. And I do drive them hard on those trips.
Old 02-18-2011 | 10:50 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
...When knowledgeable persons agree a dry sump Porsche engine is designed to be driven hard, they are stating a patently observable and verifiable truth.

If you drive a well-maintained 993 (or SC, or 3.2 or 964, or GT3) on the track (i.e. hard) it would, by design, provide many tens of thousands of miles of trouble-free operation. This is a fact.

If you were to drive a well-maintained (insert name here) on the track, it would in realtively short order, be inoperable. And that assumes the transmission, clutch or brakes did not catch fire first....
+100 Matt!

I'm a D.E. rookie with only a couple track days under my belt...but I will say that I was absolutely amazed with my car after my first 20-minute lapping session at VIR last year. It was my first experience where I was able to do a full-on 20 minutes of reving the crap out of the car in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear...I rolled into the pits and checked all the gauges...oil temps at 8 o' clock? Wow... Again after the next session, and the next session. At the end of the day I realized I had over 2 hours of track time on the engine and I stopped worrying about the engine from that point on.

I happily offer NO "scientific evidence"...I prefer to talk in emotion when I drive my 911! That day changed the way I look at this engine and the car.

Love this quote below mentioned earlier:
"The engineer that works on these cars knows when he goes to work in the morning that the car he is working will undoubtedly be driven absolutely as fast as it will go for the entire duration of a tank of gas."
Old 02-18-2011 | 10:57 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default Empirical data

My empirical data on how to drive P-cars was amassed from having owned eight of them over a thirty year period. I have had both air and water cooled cars 911, 944, and 968's) and they all respond the same way. Dog them and they develop problems. Drive them very hard while maintaining them well.....and they seem to last forever. I had an early 911 make close to 200k miles before its first rebuild!

Over the years, a number of my cars were garage queens.....not because they were show cars, but rather because my family and career activities did not leave much time for driving the cars. Those that sat around deteriorated very quickly. Mostly oil leaks from gaskets that dry up. But, a dormant car also seems to lead to accessory problems (I never have figured that one out).

You can get down to counting the cummulative rpm's on the cars life......but, in the end, the motors are just bullet proof and want to be pushed hard.

I'm not certain what it is today, but in the 70's Porsche was pushing over 400 hp out of an engine in which many of the parts were identical to the 150 hp 911's we were driving on the streets. Sure, parts were micro balanced, but they were still using the same rods, bearings, and most of the cases were not modified. Point is that the street motors in these cars are capable of over two times the hp we see. They are, in fact, over designed for the street. That is why folks call them "bullet proof".

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense