Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

I actually was last year. I saw little benefit and let the membership lapse. I was also moving when it ended so I had my mind on other things. I may renew the membership, primarily if I need to sell stuff or if I want to **** people off in the off-topic section
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help myself....

You saw little benefit for $11 yet you spend half your day on here....

You had your mind on other things but not long enough to realize there was little benefit to renewing...

puff puff give Quad
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Ok, I've been wrong before.... but I predict a 20 page thread.
Sadly, you're right on the money.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I've read through most of this. I'd agree with the statement that the 911 is "designed to be driven hard" for one simple reason. It has a dry sump oiling system. A dry sump is one of the few ways to make sure the engine isn't starved of oil in hard cornering. A car designed to be driven hard would have this system. Without a dry sump (or accusump accumulator, or baffling and trap door oil pans) the oil pick up could be left uncovered by oil under high cornering loads. Cars not designed to be driven hard, do not have Dry sumps...(generally).

Now a different statement saying it is "Better to be driven hard", I'd only agree up to the point where you've "blown out the carbon" as they say. After that, I consider higher RPMs will cause higher wear rates than lower RPMs... Track days put more stress on the car than typical daily driving. i.e. you can go through a set of stock E36 M3 brake pads in 2, 20 min sessions but they probably last 30000 miles on the street.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll take the other side of the argument.

When it was John's site, I would agree with you....but now it is owned by a for-profit corporation who offers this forum for free......so why make a donation?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod

When it was John's site, I would agree with you....but now it is owned by a for-profit corporation who offers this forum for free......so why make a donation?
To keep it going?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

I've read all 20 pages as they were added to. I only have one small, insignificant observation to add.

I've owned several Porsches, an NSX, a few Corvettes ,etc.... In every case, I babied them - not many miles, easy driving, constant maintenance, always washed. In every case, I got my *** handed to me anyway when it came time to sell or trade.

From here on out, the driving experience accumulates to ME, not my car. Since I don't own cars very long anyway, why should I even care if hard driving is good or bad for the car long term, or if tooling around and shifting at 2000 rpm is better, etc.? In the end, I didn't really enjoy any of my cars like I should have, AND I STILL GOT SMACKED IN THE WALLET ANYWAY!

I may be in the minority, but I venture to bet a lot of people on this forum swap cars more often than me. I'll never see anywhere near 100k miles on my daily drivers, much less my 3rd car toys. Drive 'em like you want and how it feeds your soul - it makes absolutely zero sense to make sure they are pristine for the next owner.

Rant over - please continue for another 20 pages now.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

DC just a few factoids.

Rennlist was and still is a member supported site. Compare the ads here with what you see on 6spd (also owned by IB). John insisted that IB not change the character of the place and I'm pleased to say that they have lived up to the deal. Without member support, we'd be bombarded by ads. I like it better this way
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
apparently it was a topic that illicits many opinions.

Care to add yours?
My opinion was already voiced. You quoted it.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we just end this?...Please
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Note that my name has a member beneath it.

I just figured if the member police were going to start in with him for not having it, that he should be entitled to a public defender.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
I can't help myself....

You saw little benefit for $11 yet you spend half your day on here....

You had your mind on other things but not long enough to realize there was little benefit to renewing...

puff puff give Quad
I spend half my day on here aye? Rennlist happens to be one of the windows I have up at work. I browse a few forums here, and thats that. What that has to do with my membership I'm not sure.

I don't necessarily see value in membership. If rennlist died for whatever reason, people would migrate to 6 speed, pelican, whatever. Fact is, to me, the people make up the site, not the site itself. Once IB took over, I lost any sort of loyalty there.

No, see, if you don't make another payment, they automatically don't renew your membership. I got the email, but with everything going on, didn't give it much thought. Once they canceled it, I decided it wasn't offering me any real value.

Are you personally offended or something? Hey, I say we grab a beer and talk about 993s, memberships to rennlist and whatever we come up with...you pick the place.

Originally Posted by DanQ
I've read through most of this. I'd agree with the statement that the 911 is "designed to be driven hard" for one simple reason. It has a dry sump oiling system. A dry sump is one of the few ways to make sure the engine isn't starved of oil in hard cornering. A car designed to be driven hard would have this system. Without a dry sump (or accusump accumulator, or baffling and trap door oil pans) the oil pick up could be left uncovered by oil under high cornering loads. Cars not designed to be driven hard, do not have Dry sumps...(generally).

Now a different statement saying it is "Better to be driven hard", I'd only agree up to the point where you've "blown out the carbon" as they say. After that, I consider higher RPMs will cause higher wear rates than lower RPMs... Track days put more stress on the car than typical daily driving. i.e. you can go through a set of stock E36 M3 brake pads in 2, 20 min sessions but they probably last 30000 miles on the street.
Well you've made some interesting points, but it seems that your statements revolve more around hard cornering than high acceleration/revs. Furthermore, you say cars with dry sumps are meant to be driven hard, and cars not designed to be driven hard don't. Where would you place cars like the 997.2 (and all the 9A1 iterations like the Turbo, GTS, etc.)? No dry sump there.

You say that you drive hard to "blow the carbon out"...my argument is that there isn't much if any carbon to begin with.

Some people see value in donating, others don't. I don't even look at whether someone is a member, it has no bearing to me.

Originally Posted by leftlane
I've read all 20 pages as they were added to. I only have one small, insignificant observation to add.

I've owned several Porsches, an NSX, a few Corvettes ,etc.... In every case, I babied them - not many miles, easy driving, constant maintenance, always washed. In every case, I got my *** handed to me anyway when it came time to sell or trade.

From here on out, the driving experience accumulates to ME, not my car. Since I don't own cars very long anyway, why should I even care if hard driving is good or bad for the car long term, or if tooling around and shifting at 2000 rpm is better, etc.? In the end, I didn't really enjoy any of my cars like I should have, AND I STILL GOT SMACKED IN THE WALLET ANYWAY!

I may be in the minority, but I venture to bet a lot of people on this forum swap cars more often than me. I'll never see anywhere near 100k miles on my daily drivers, much less my 3rd car toys. Drive 'em like you want and how it feeds your soul - it makes absolutely zero sense to make sure they are pristine for the next owner.

Rant over - please continue for another 20 pages now.
You are absolutely right. I don't really care as I'm going to drive my car hard, whether its good, bad, or indifferent for the engine, and thats cause I feel like it. I'd just like refute why some people claim driving hard is good.

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Can we just end this?...Please
If you don't like the thread, why do you read it?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanQ

Designed to be driven hard

or

Designed so that in the event when the car is driven hard??

I doubt there is a Porsche that's driven "hard" ALL the time "as designed", unless we're lumping street cars and race cars in this thread

A Porsche will wear out, like any car when driven hard (and wear rate will probably be dependent on the extent of maintenance, "as designed")

But I believe a Porsche is designed to withstand being driven hard (up to a certain point, nothing lasts forever)

(DanQ: I'm not providing any counter-point to your comment. My comment is meant as an extension to your comment. )

Quick Reply: I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense