Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

This thread gave me a nervous tick.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did research when I bought my 993 as everyone did but I never considered having the previous owner pay for the PPI. I spoke with the original poster on the phone a few weeks ago and he seems like a nice guy. At that time he was not sure exactly what he wanted. I think his post in question came off strong buy asking why in the "h--l" was he paying for the PPI. Members here reacted because the buyer paying for the PPI has been the norm in the past.

Are PPIs a must or just higly recommended? That is for each buyer to determine. I paid for one because the money I paid for my car was a big investment to me. Paying a large sum of money for a 13-14 year old vehicle is a bit of a nail chewing experience. Between the paperwork, known history of the car, prior owners names and addresses, and a really clean PPI I jumped on it. Some people just have problems jumping.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In full disclosure:

I was typing a reply when he closed the thread. So I sent him a message that said "Sorry for the confusion" and explained that he could start a thread entitled "Can someone check out this car for me?"

And that other Rennlisters could give him an unbiased opinion of the car before spending money on a PPI and that is what the quote meant.

Let's just say the apology wasn't accepted because this ain't his "first rodeo bud", it also seems my manhood is in question and more importantly

"No more time for people like you"

Oh well, don't know how I am going to sleep tonight.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe when I buy my next house I'll just use the sellers real estate agent and lawyer. It costs money to look after your own interests. You can give people advice but you can't make them take it.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
In full disclosure:

I was typing a reply when he closed the thread. So I sent him a message that said "Sorry for the confusion" and explained that he could start a thread entitled "Can someone check out this car for me?"

And that other Rennlisters could give him an unbiased opinion of the car before spending money on a PPI and that is what the quote meant.
He clearly missed that was the point of my post. He got caught up in the part where we wouldn't do such a thing for a dick and somehow I had challenged the honour of a decorated veteran. He clearly wants to see the glass half full.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
more importantly.....are those speedlines on that beast epj? Looks awesome! Now that i've decided to keep the C2S that speedline thread is giving ME a nervous tick!
Thanks! They're Roock RS550's. They are out of production, IIRC, but Gemballa Competitions are very close in appearance. Can't go wrong with the Speedlines, however.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 AM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW! Some people expect something for nothing I guess. I find it funny that he says the market is flooded with 993's.....I have yet to see this in my area.

Andy
Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll sell him my 95 C4, I just did a PPI on it.

0% leakdown, 10miles on the engine, no oil leaks, or consumption. Not a scratch or mark anywhere, it's a PERFECT 993. Every option Porsche had, & everything works perfectly. I just had a PPI done, & can provide it. Best yet, I only want $40k for it.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

The biggest issue for me with the seller paying for a PPI is where does it stop? A seller has many inquiries and mostly from flaky buyers. There are no guarantees that the buyer will actually buy the car even if the PPI is clean. When I sold my M3, I actually had a PPI done before the sale, I figured that along with the stack of receipts it would be the clincher for someone for a quick sale. You wont believe how many inquiries I had about having a PPI somewhere else and yes I was asked if I was willing to pay for it! At the end of the day the actual buyer did not even care for the PPI! Now imagine how much money I would have spent on useless buyers... It is just not a realistic expectation from the buyer to demand a PPI at their own choosing and at the sellers expense.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, that was a weird thread. My left eye still twitches uncontrollably from it...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
And to cap things off, he reported his own thread.
Sort of like starting a fire, then calling the fire department.
Seriously? For what?

That's funny.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right after you hand the potential buyer the PPI, he will pull out his trusty Kelley Blue Book and offer you 20K since the car is in excellent condition.

On the other hand, I paid for a PPI on my wife's BMW and the local dealer refused to provide me with the information. Their policy is that only the owner of the car can be provided with the PPI results.
I called BS and demanded a refund.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
WOW! Some people expect something for nothing I guess. I find it funny that he says the market is flooded with 993's.....I have yet to see this in my area.

Andy
Since he's clearly got a few screws loose, I think he meant to say he's seen many 993's that were flooded.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Spidey 993

Well good morning. I see there has been a lively discussion last night and this morning on my thread. I'm glad it made some people consider the flip side to the coin and others still believe that the old way is the only way, which is fine too. And thanks for all of the PM, from people on the board who believe its either a good idea to have a PPI done by seller on hand for their benefit at least or even halving the cost with the buyer. Why they don't want to openly say that on this board is for the same reason I closed the thread. The mob mentality starts and no one can voice an opinion if its different than the rest.

To be clear, I closed it after GTgears and RSR to a interesting conversation down a notch. If everyone says the same thing and starts hating an opposing opinion, why bother having a thread open at all? RSR, you need to post your PM in full to me, not new words you typed in and the thread didn't close while you
were typing, look at it again.

I didn't join the board to say the exact same thing as everyone else. And if I stay on this board, you're gonna hear my opinion. Its America, my family and friends died so I could have one, and voice it.

I haven't soured on my buying experience at all. Its been a learning experience and a fun one. Most of
you aren't an actual buyer, you already have cars so seeing the other side of coin and the frustration of a buyer trying to weed out cars that are 1000 miles away and so many of them, may give you insight on how to sell yours.

And Yes, I still feel you would build my confidence if I saw you had a PPI done in last 6 months. It shows me you are backing your car up with a third party respected mechanic that I can verify. Also, if you went halves, that also shows me your willing to put your money and faith in your car. That builds my trust in a car that I haven't seen in person and bumps it to the front. At that point I can get my own PPI, trust yours, or move to the next level testing like a leak down...

And yes, I do think differently, I am a buyer, unlike most here. And bring on your counter, traditional, rusty, old, new, thoughtful opinions. I enjoy having these types of discussions that blow the cob webs off the normal thought process. Keep it clean and respectful. Talk to me like you would if you were standing next to me, not hiding behind your avatar. BTW, I live in Boulder county too.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Priceless
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I'll sell him my 95 C4, I just did a PPI on it.

0% leakdown, 10miles on the engine, no oil leaks, or consumption. Not a scratch or mark anywhere, it's a PERFECT 993. Every option Porsche had, & everything works perfectly. I just had a PPI done, & can provide it. Best yet, I only want $40k for it.
that's almost "STEALTH" like...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Obviously this guy thinks differently, so I hope he sticks around. The entertainment value will be absolutely priceless.

p.s. Any you guys with a complete piece of crap 993, here's your chance to sell it. Just fake up a PPI with white-out and a photocopier and apparently this guy will buy it. Or just pay a shop a little extra to overlook the bad stuff. Easy peasy.

Quick Reply: This thread gave me a nervous tick.