993 Forum 1995-1998

This thread gave me a nervous tick.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Well good morning. I see there has been a lively discussion last night and this morning on my thread. I'm glad it made some people consider the flip side to the coin and others still believe that the old way is the only way, which is fine too. And thanks for all of the PM, from people on the board who believe its either a good idea to have a PPI done by seller on hand for their benefit at least or even halving the cost with the buyer. Why they don't want to openly say that on this board is for the same reason I closed the thread. The mob mentality starts and no one can voice an opinion if its different than the rest.

To be clear, I closed it after GTgears and RSR to a interesting conversation down a notch. If everyone says the same thing and starts hating an opposing opinion, why bother having a thread open at all? RSR, you need to post your PM in full to me, not new words you typed in and the thread didn't close while you
were typing, look at it again.

I didn't join the board to say the exact same thing as everyone else. And if I stay on this board, you're gonna hear my opinion. Its America, my family and friends died so I could have one, and voice it.

I haven't soured on my buying experience at all. Its been a learning experience and a fun one. Most of
you aren't an actual buyer, you already have cars so seeing the other side of coin and the frustration of a buyer trying to weed out cars that are 1000 miles away and so many of them, may give you insight on how to sell yours.

And Yes, I still feel you would build my confidence if I saw you had a PPI done in last 6 months. It shows me you are backing your car up with a third party respected mechanic that I can verify. Also, if you went halves, that also shows me your willing to put your money and faith in your car. That builds my trust in a car that I haven't seen in person and bumps it to the front. At that point I can get my own PPI, trust yours, or move to the next level testing like a leak down...

And yes, I do think differently, I am a buyer, unlike most here. And bring on your counter, traditional, rusty, old, new, thoughtful opinions. I enjoy having these types of discussions that blow the cob webs off the normal thought process. Keep it clean and respectful. Talk to me like you would if you were standing next to me, not hiding behind your avatar. BTW, I live in Boulder county too.
Either way, you'll see that treating folks on this board with respect and goodwill will provide you with a better experience than censoring threads or calling names to those who share a differing opinion.

This is a tight knit community and most here only want to help and share ideas. It'd be a shame if your thoughts were construed in such a fashion that you wind up alienating those who might be able to help you out on your future purchase of a 993.

Just a thought.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Spidey 993

I've only treated people with respect, and said thank you to all those that have helped me. Never called anyone a name, not sure were you are going with that other than saying I did which is inaccurate.

I appreciate your thoughts, I will log them. Isn't this country great?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Tjeff,
Go back to the original thread and replace "you" with "one" in my comment about being a dick and you'll see what I meant. I wasn't speaking about you, as a single person. I was speaking about people in general. You had done nothing to make me think you were dick and there was no reason for me to assume that you were one. I reiterate, I never called you a dick and never intended to.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Since he's clearly got a few screws loose, I think he meant to say he's seen many 993's that were flooded.
Reminds me of a long series of posts from a trusting (or naive) site unseen buyer who bought a 993 from a certain non-reputable Porsche dealer whose PPI failed to identify the water line inside the car.

...The mob mentality starts and no one can voice an opinion if its different than the rest.
.... didn't join the board to say the exact same thing as everyone else. And if I stay on this board, you're gonna hear my opinion. Its America, my family and friends died so I could have one, and voice it...
You might consider that there is a reason most of us here are recommending that you get your own PPI. Its a good idea.

If you have already decided to only look at cars where the owner will pay for the PPI and refuse to consider our opinions, I can't think of a good reason why you would have posted in the first place.

Nobody is saying you can't state your opinion and you did.
ps free speech works both ways (and its not just in America by the way)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

PPI. Second P stands for "Purchase". Not "Sale". Thus, purchaser pays for PPI. Logical, no?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Spidey 993

Yep Matt you're right. Thats why I posted is to hear a comment like yours.

You're saying don't X out a car because they don't have a PPI, be open to to other options as well. And reading other points like halving or ensuring I still follow through with my own even if the seller has one have all been great counterpoints.

I can respect that, good advice. The extreme would be to always assume that the buyer should pay, and for me to X out cars that don't have a PPI.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Spidey 993

I guess so Nile, if you're the seller its logical.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Man o man, I could fake PPI's all day long. I wouldn't, but just saying. If you are going to drop 993 kind of money, what is an extra $350.00, knowing you will get a good inspection, by a shop you choose. I'd tell a prospective buyer they can either get the PPI themselves, or they can buy the car as is. There will always be another buyer that has their own interests in mind and not worrying about spending the extra bucks for the piece of mind.

It is an interesting view points though, and to some, it might show the seller is trying to go the extra mile. But......Chances are that cost of the PPI will be rolled in to the price at a double rate.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

You believe in free speech yet you reported your thread to the mods and shut it down. Sounds like you believe in free speech as long as your thin skin doesn't get broken.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

A royal response...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Spidey 993

Actually that's not the case Mark.

I reported GTgears and RSR for calling me a "dick". I told him to keep it clean, Im very open to hear others opinions and ask to close the thread once it went down the gutter.

Yep, I do believe in free speech, and I also want to be respected and respect others in a healthy way.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess so Nile, if you're the seller its logical.
I've purchased 2 993s and sold n the past 6.5 years. Plus looked at quite a few for other people and had some looked at by others for me. How many have you purchased or sold?

How much real world experience you have in buying and selling cars? Buying and selling anything for that matter? The seller doesn't have to prove anything to you. Caveat emptor. It's your responsibility to do homework of your choosing, including PPI. Do you ask seller to provide Carfax?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Spidey 993

Bought and sold many cars, none were 993.

I understand your point, you believe the buyer should pay. I don't. I believe the seller should have a PPI on hand, or (now after reading some insightful threads) split the PPI with me.

I'm on my third car 993 that I am trying to buy. All three sellers had a perfect service history except one, and I have paid over 1k in PPI costs. All three now have come back with over 8-9k in repairs.

How much longer should I keep forking over PPI money on a sellers word?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Actually that's not the case Mark.

I reported GTgears and RSR for calling me a "dick". I told him to keep it clean, Im very open to hear others opinions and ask to close the thread once it went down the gutter.

Yep, I do believe in free speech, and I also want to be respected and respect others in a healthy way.
You know, I sent you the PM of explanation first thing this morning and posted to this thread to make it clear to you that I was not calling you names. As I said in my PM if I was intent on calling you names I would be very direct about it. I did this because I did not want you to feel unwelcome here. You seem intent on being offended. I don't get it. Good luck with your search for a car...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Priceless
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am fairly new to the forum but have really appreciated everyones help and comments. i am responsible for my own actions and at the end of the day, i have to make my own decision. i do like hearing other suggestions and recommendations. i have no problems with owners paying for PPI. however, i agree that if they chose the place (likely were they always took their car), you may get a biased opinion (without meaning to). I think this happened to me. i purchased my 993 from a colleague who i trust and like (and still do). his mechanic has been taking care of this car since 2001 said nothing needs to be done to this car...it is in excellent condition. my friend/colleague doesn't work on his cars and therefore trusts what the mechanic says. i get the car and start slowly going through it and find a few (and only a few) things which are MINOR but i consider these issues that should be addressed. For example, the drivers side check strap need repaired, i have personally replace the oil and air cooler fan resistor (which were not working) and i had the belts changed (one was starting to crack) and stone guards changed. i also changed the air duct vent cover. These are VERY MINOR on my 1996 993 with 32,000 miles but are issues that could irritate some people. i personally didn't care and expect to run across small things here and there that i will either fix myself or have taken care of. my point is that i think the people on here are probably correct in that if you want to protect yourself, get your own PPI at a location of your choice. the guys on this forum will watch your back if you let them. i really appreciate this forum and highly recommend atleast listening to their suggestions. i am listening to yours and will continue to as long as you give them

Quick Reply: This thread gave me a nervous tick.