993 Forum 1995-1998

This thread gave me a nervous tick.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
Man o man, I could fake PPI's all day long.
Exactly the point. I want the mechanic working for ME during the PPI, not the seller. The purchaser is paying to protect his interest, not the seller's.

Besides, all of us have purchased cars so we do have the same perspective.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Spidey 993

GTgears...Have you ever heard of "inferring" , or to infer...

I actually would have thought more of you if you would have been a man and just said it versus tip-toeing
around that you said the word but didn't mean anything by it.

Best of luck to you as well, goodbye.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Bought and sold many cars, none were 993.

I understand your point, you believe the buyer should pay. I don't. I believe the seller should have a PPI on hand, or (now after reading some insightful threads) split the PPI with me.

I'm on my third car 993 that I am trying to buy. All three sellers had a perfect service history except one, and I have paid over 1k in PPI costs. All three now have come back with over 8-9k in repairs.

How much longer should I keep forking over PPI money on a sellers word?
Don't have time to read all of this thread at the moment (or the other one which I read on my iPhone), but did you state that you have done a PPI before you sold any of your other cars?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my third car 993 that I am trying to buy. All three sellers had a perfect service history except one, and I have paid over 1k in PPI costs. All three now have come back with over 8-9k in repairs.

I did exactly the same thing but the third one was a great. I didn't mind paying the fees as I personally considered it the price of admission to owning one of these cars. I wouldn't have wanted to go on paying either.

Where are you looking for a 993? I found that people on this forum, or PCA were quite fanatical about car maintenance. That is where I would be concentrating my efforts. But that is not to say that issues will not come up on any car, regardless of how well maintained.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Spidey 993

No, I have never owned a 993, I'm trying to buy one.

I have had 3 PPI's done (1 as recent as yesterday, hence the post).

Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Bought and sold many cars, none were 993.

I understand your point, you believe the buyer should pay. I don't. I believe the seller should have a PPI on hand, or (now after reading some insightful threads) split the PPI with me.

I think this is part of the 'normal' buying process but I agree, it can get frustrating and, in my recent past experience, neither one of my PPI's caught everything so if your buying in Denver or Seattle, p.m. me and I'll tell you which shops to avoid. In a perfect world, the seller should have up to date maintenance records and a call to their shop owner should provide a starting point as to condition, but even if a seller provided me with a PPI, I would NOT trust it to be fool proof and would still have my own inspection done by some other RL (or otherwise) recommended shop in the area. Believe me, it's cheap insurance up front and I've been lucky so far. No shop is infallable, although Tony Callas is probably as close as you can get if your fortunate enough to find a car in L.A. ....
Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, a lot of people call me Dick. I figure that they must know me from somewhere, after all, my name is Richard and Dick is a nickname for Richard. What allways puzzles me though is why the think that my last name is Head!
By the way, I bought 2 993's without PPI's. They did however come with 2 year unlimited mile warranties, and had less than100 miles on them.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I reported GTgears and RSR for calling me a "dick". I told him to keep it clean, Im very open to hear others opinions and ask to close the thread once it went down the gutter.
Exactly where did I call you a dick?

To be clear, I closed it after GTgears and RSR to a interesting conversation down a notch. If everyone says the same thing and starts hating an opposing opinion, why bother having a thread open at all? RSR, you need to post your PM in full to me, not new words you typed in and the thread didn't close while you
were typing, look at it again.
It is against policy to post PM's but in your case since you asked for it to be posted, I will gladly take the vacation if it is decided I am deserving, here you are:

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Sorry for the confusion, if you read the quote, he was saying to do what other rennlisters do and ask for a Rennfax. If you post a thread that asks "Can someone check out this car in whatever town?"

Rennlisters will come to your aid and give you an unbiased opinion before you spend a dime on a PPI.

That's what the quote meant.

Erik Parker

rsr91128@hotmail.com
I read his quote very clearly, and he also said I was a dick. I also saw your two thumbs up putting those comments in quotes. Nice job, you should be proud. But don't then follow-up with a smoke blowing PM to me telling me I was somehow confused about what was said. A man would apologize, not somehow insult me and then make it worse by telling me I'm confused. Not my first rodeo bud. No more time for people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgears
"And if you stick around the board and convince people you aren't a dick you'll be amazed at what the people in this community will do for you."
I guess when I started the PM with "Sorry for the confusion" that was not enough of an apology for you?

I also put my full name and email address in the PM in case you wanted to discuss this further away from Rennlist, I actually thought you would understand there was no malice intended, I was wrong.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks for your honesty Brett. You said the third one was the charm? (BTW, great to hear and congrats). What if it wasn't, how would you feel right? As you mentioned, you wouldn't want to keep going on paying out the nose to validate someone else car..

I am looking pretty much everywhere including here. I have met some great guys with great cars that I wish I had the money to buy (Larpy/Deadhead1960) to name a couple.

Thanks as well JP, just saw the post. If I find one in Denver I will PM you for sure.

BTW, the guy from Denver who offered to do a PPI on his car found major problems in his leak down test, apologized to me and said he will either fix, or not fix and keep. Even knowing the problems, I see a straight honest shooter and I am still interested in his car when he decides what he wants to do.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Spidey 993

Love it Rich, thanks for the laugh.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tjeff, FWIW, the PPI cost is certainly negotiable (isn't everything? ) and could be paid by either party. Sometimes it is even split so that both have skin in the game.
Also, the seller paying for the buyer's PPI would then put the same risk you are concerned with on said seller.

I think this has been covered well but traditionally it is covered by the buyer so that the buyer has the pick of the shop.

Bottom line is that you need to build some trust in the seller to take the step to pay for a PPI. That can be assisted remotely by enlisting the help of knowledgeable people here. Requsets to go look at a car are pretty common. It is done very often...
I realize this solution isn't perfect but as far as I can tell, nothing is perfect in this world.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Don't have time to read all of this thread at the moment (or the other one which I read on my iPhone), but did you state that you have done a PPI before you sold any of your other cars?
tjeff, in case you missed my question, here it is again.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Spidey 993

RSR, Gtgears called or "inferred" I was a dick and you gave him two thumbs up on his actual quote. Why you still dancing? People can see the thread for themselves, thats why no one is defending you guys.

And then you send me a PM, telling me I'm confused...What?? That somehow you really meant something else even though your thread says otherwise..Come-on, own up, man up, take a vaca.

Sorry for the confusing isn't an apology, not even for my 5 year old. "I'm sorry" is an apology. Try it, now or get lost because I don't have time and I can't dance.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks MarkD, I'm leaning toward splitting is the more appropriate expectation as well after. Of course if I'm buying from a guy that's old school and he believes the buyer should only pay, then I got a pickle, pay or leave and right now after 3 failed PPI, Im leaving.

Mark in Baltimore, to be honest no I haven't on non-Porsche cars. Never on the sell nor the buy. I have never seen such an emphasis on having one until this board nor such a protocol around one.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

GTgears...Have you ever heard of "inferring" , or to infer...

I actually would have thought more of you if you would have been a man and just said it versus tip-toeing
around that you said the word but didn't mean anything by it.

Best of luck to you as well, goodbye.
Go look around the internet a bit and you'll see I pretty much speak my mind. And I am pretty unapologetic about what I think. If I had called you a name I wouldn't be backing down and trying to make you feel less alienated here.

Though I didn't miss that you are in Boulder and that you could come see me face to face. I could infer that is a threat. And now you are suggesting that I am not much of a man. Pretty hypocritical for someone so sensitive and claiming we should treat each other with respect and not call names.

I'll reiterate one last time, and I do this publicly because I am man enough to stand up and be counted, I never intended for what I wrote to be construed as me calling you a dick. I know what my intent was. I will sleep soundly tonight in the knowledge that I wasn't trying to slight you with my comments. Really.

Quick Reply: This thread gave me a nervous tick.