Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Who would like to see a 997 Sport Classic Duck Tail development on this project?
997 Sport Classic Duck Tail for this project
56.41%
Stay with stock Duck Tail which we've ordered from the US
43.59%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Project Battle Ship - AKA L63A Sport Classic 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the black trim on the lenses I would try not to paint the outside. You could get glass paint but it won't last long in road conditions. The headlights separate and you can remove the lens covers and paint them from the inside. I did just that with my H4 headlights on the RSA a few years back - painted them completely yellow on the inside and they last forever.

Now the other problem you may have is that the shape of the headlights is different between the 993 and the 997. You just don't have that even outline with the 993 headlights. It's thin at the bottom and thick at the top. I suppose if you tried really hard you could create a similar outline to the 997 headlight but again, I suggest painting the inside of the glass.
Hi Ilko – thanks , I did pull the lens of to have a look but unfortunately there is now way I could mask and paint from the inside which would have been perfect

Hey, did your RSA by any chance end up in Germany? A friend of mine told me that he saw a black RSA at a show over in Germany a few weeks back. He said the owner claimed there was only 1 other RSA in Germany and even though the RSA did not have the great orange details you added (painted all OEM black) I did guess that this could be yours?

Instead of paint, you can use a black adhesive "trim ring" on the glass which will stick nicely as it would on the windshield, and is easily removed/replaced as needs/wants go.
Thanks Georg – this sounds like the most logical idea and I’m also toying with the idea of making a set of trim rings. Either-which-way it’s a job for last but we will get there
Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by future
Hi Ilko – thanks , I did pull the lens of to have a look but unfortunately there is now way I could mask and paint from the inside which would have been perfect

Hey, did your RSA by any chance end up in Germany? A friend of mine told me that he saw a black RSA at a show over in Germany a few weeks back. He said the owner claimed there was only 1 other RSA in Germany and even though the RSA did not have the great orange details you added (painted all OEM black) I did guess that this could be yours?
I guess a glossy decal might be your best course of action then.

Yep, my old RSA is in Germany. However, last time the current owner sent me photos of it he had a black/silver theme and orange wheels. It was an 80% track car.

There is another black RSA that I know of that resides in Germany. And I believe there is at least one white one there as well. There is a Nurburgring instructional book/DVD floating around that has the white RSA on several shots.

So RSAs are becoming less rare in Europe, although one just got shipped back to the States after a couple of years in Ireland.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
future
Banned

I guess a glossy decal might be your best course of action then.

Yep, my old RSA is in Germany. However, last time the current owner sent me photos of it he had a black/silver theme and orange wheels. It was an 80% track car.

There is another black RSA that I know of that resides in Germany. And I believe there is at least one white one there as well. There is a Nurburgring instructional book/DVD floating around that has the white RSA on several shots.

So RSAs are becoming less rare in Europe, although one just got shipped back to the States after a couple of years in Ireland.
Thanks Ilko - I think I know the one in Ireland ... which is white if I'm correct? Damn I bet you miss that RSA. I’m sure there is a red one over in Ireland also.

The white RSA also sounds interesting – I’ll see if I can get some details on that one.

We are in the process of looking for an RSA at the moment as another project for Beni to develop. I really do miss my old Euro 964 RS <-- I should never have sold that one which went about 6-7 years ago when prices were still reasonable

I’ll give the gloss black stickers a go first as this is definitely the cheapest option ... just need some nice new lenses first. I’ve got a great contact for cut vinyl stickers so I’ll get him to run several sets once I’ve provided him with the Illustrator templates.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for an RSA, you should check out race911s if he still has it for sale.

I loved Ilko's car...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by future

Very nice work so far!

Are you going to put a center mounted third brake light in the duck tail? To go after this look?

There is another thread where I suggested a light that might give the a similar look, but with your mad 'glass skills, you'd probably just make your own.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ake-light.html

I'm not sure I understand a need for a movable spoiler in a duck tail spoiler? Do you hope to gain improved cooling or something?
I'd just adapt the duck tail to accept the 993 plastic grill. I think that would look very clean.

I wonder if there would be a market for a ducktail with a 993 grill and center mounted 3rd brake light. No one else makes one? The Cab guys might llike something like that.

Keep the updates coming

Last edited by DanQ; 09-24-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I love this thread! Moar moar moar!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stoppen by to say, bad ***/keep at it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ
Very nice work so far!

Are you going to put a center mounted third brake light in the duck tail? To go after this look?

There is another thread where I suggested a light that might give the a similar look, but with your mad 'glass skills, you'd probably just make your own.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ake-light.html

I'm not sure I understand a need for a movable spoiler in a duck tail spoiler? Do you hope to gain improved cooling or something?
I'd just adapt the duck tail to accept the 993 plastic grill. I think that would look very clean.

I wonder if there would be a market for a ducktail with a 993 grill and center mounted 3rd brake light. No one else makes one? The Cab guys might llike something like that.

Keep the updates coming
Sorry for the Hijack but YES!!!THe cab guys would love that!!! I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see what he does for a brake light.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark--

Great project...when do you anticipate having that rear bumper avail for purchase/delivery in US?
Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

subscribed
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I see the need either to have the movable grill. I liked the weight savings of having it off the car.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Bham993
Intermediate

I'm hooked. Thanks for taking all the time to document this for the rest of us. Can't wait to see what you do with the interior. Assuming you have any $$$ left!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the movable grill... just cool! ;-)
Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
If you are looking for an RSA, you should check out race911s if he still has it for sale.

I loved Ilko's car...
Not sure what dragged me into looking at this thread, but.................

Yeah, the car hasn't been touched yet. Out at the shop now, and figuring out which set of heads I'm sending out to get done up to slap on it. Unless someone pops up before I commit. Probably had 30 sets of eyeballs on the car today, at least 10 from guys here, if anyone wanted impartial verification of how the car looks. I think a quick search will fully disclose what I know of the car as far as mechanicals.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what the aero effect would be with both the pop up spoiler and the duck, but I prefer either over both.

Ken, what dragged you into the thread was somebody looking for a project RSA. Perfect cantidate!

Quick Reply: Project Battle Ship - AKA L63A Sport Classic 993