Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Who would like to see a 997 Sport Classic Duck Tail development on this project?
997 Sport Classic Duck Tail for this project
56.41%
Stay with stock Duck Tail which we've ordered from the US
43.59%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Project Battle Ship - AKA L63A Sport Classic 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Many thanks for having a look for us Alex

Great idea, I’ll order 1 one Monday, just hope my local P-Dealer has them in stock because I hate waiting on parts

Best regards,
Mark
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by future

... below you will see the offending culprit (me) ... the badge in the picture is just rested in place (not mounted), there is about 2 mm alignment play up-down-left-right - I do promise to align properly

Mark - can't you just notch an extra couple of mm into the badge holes to center it in between the stripes? If the badge is centered in the stripes, I doubt that you would ever notice that it's a little off overall...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Mark,

Great project. Awesome vision for this car. I have a slight connection to the project since Arnaud had purchased my Cup wheels not too long before the incident...you may have them now. I was so bummed when I saw his post, but very happy to see you resurrect the car. Nicely done.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Mark,

Amazing project. I was there the day Arnaud's car drove itself into the wall, so I'm following your build very closely.

I wrecked a '95 in a very similar manner (bent front clip, exploded rear subframe and tranny housing) and chose to part the car out. It's nice to see someone fix one instead - and go above and beyond .

Last edited by jdistefa; 09-05-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 PM
future
Banned

Mark - can't you just notch an extra couple of mm into the badge holes to center it in between the stripes? If the badge is centered in the stripes, I doubt that you would ever notice that it's a little off overall...
Thanks, I actually have just repositioned and fixed the badge in place correctly and now all is perfect

Great project. Awesome vision for this car. I have a slight connection to the project since Arnaud had purchased my Cup wheels not too long before the incident...you may have them now. I was so bummed when I saw his post, but very happy to see you resurrect the car. Nicely done.
Thanks again ... Yes I still have the cup wheels 2 of which are slightly bent. we will probably use these for rolling cars around the workshop and when painting etc as I unfortunately do not see them worth repairing

Amazing project. I was there the day Arnaud's car drove itself into the wall, so I'm following your build very closely.

I wrecked a '95 in a very similar manner (bent front clip, exploded rear subframe and tranny housing) and chose to part the car out. It's nice to see someone fix one instead - and go above and beyond.
Thanks Matt, I've never damaged a car on a track (yet) but the same can't be said on the road any crash is truly a horrible experience as you turn driver into somewhat of a passenger - it's always the noise rather than the impart which effects me most.

After taking delivery of this car I to was inclined to part it as I was initially worried that the rear chassis legs was also bent but luckily it was not and the side panel and control arms, driveshaft took most of the force at the rear. The car was measured before the jig work was started to confirm the car was still perfectly square at all 4 corners. We’d already committed to purchasing a lot of the repair parts before the car arrived, but as in most cases, the damage is normally worse than any pictures can tell. I'd also located a LHD shell which in the worst case we'd have purchased for £2500 (this was from a flood damaged car in the UK).
Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

again, wow...

that is some really nice work on the rear bumper cover.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
future
Banned

Thanks Mark, she's moving in the right direction and more pics will follow shortly
Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
future
Banned

Question

Hi Gents

I’ve just added a “poll” to this thread (appears at the top of each page).

We are expecting delivery this week of a Duck Tail ordered from the US.

The Poll is ... who’d like to see me develop a redesigned Duck Tail along the lines of the OEM 997 Sport Classic versions?:

Please let me know ASAP so that I can order the grill mesh from Porsche if this is something you’d like to see

Best regards,
Mark
Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Gents

I’ve just added a “poll” to this thread (appears at the top of each page).

We are expecting delivery this week of a Duck Tail ordered from the US.

The Poll is ... who’d like to see me develop a redesigned Duck Tail along the lines of the OEM 997 Sport Classic versions?:

Please let me know ASAP so that I can order the grill mesh from Porsche if this is something you’d like to see

Best regards,
Mark
Tough choice. I haven't seen the new style ducktail in person yet so would love to vote but don't have a reference point other than the pic you've attached. I suspect a slightly more modern interpretation would be nice, in the same way I like the newer font side script. Too bad we don't have a side-by-side comparison. Unfortunately for me, I've already done mine but others might be wanting one.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care much about which grille design goes in it without seeing them both in person, but I would like to see what can be done to improve it aerodynamically if you have the ability to measure results. One guy on here with the white 964 turbo (can't recall his username at the moment) did such a thing, apparently putting a lot of hours into reshaping it.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
future
Banned

Thumbs up

Thanks Roger ... I'm also on the fence as I've already explained the last thing I want to do is try and make a 997 out of a 993 - that would just be wrong

In all honesty this will only take me about 2 days development time and I'd take a "top-side" mould from the original as per fitted to your car so if it look RICE then we can convert back plus I'd like to do one which will accept the OEM 993 grill (both C2/4 and the lovely split C2S/4 - now that's something I'd really like to also do and see)

Do I need to add ^that option^ to the poll
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by bart1
I don't care much about which grille design goes in it without seeing them both in person, but I would like to see what can be done to improve it aerodynamically if you have the ability to measure results. One guy on here with the white 964 turbo (can't recall his username at the moment) did such a thing, apparently putting a lot of hours into reshaping it.
I thought of the same thing. I think it was LA964.

Thanks Roger ... I'm also on the fence as I've already explained the last thing I want to do is try and make a 997 out of a 993 - that would just be wrong

In all honesty this will only take me about 2 days development time and I'd take a "top-side" mould from the original as per fitted to your car so if it look RICE then we can convert back plus I'd like to do one which will accept the OEM 993 grill (both C2/4 and the lovely split C2S/4 - now that's something I'd really like to also do and see)

Do I need to add ^that option^ to the poll
It would be nice to be able to use the 993 grill and I liked what you did with the rear bumper so I would probably say there is some appeal to a more current version.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM
future
Banned

Hi Bert, sorry missed your post there mate

Bert I’m the same way inclined (seeing is believing as they say)

I’m also 100% with you regards aerodynamically advancing any car and this is exactly what we do if you have ever followed any of our 951/2 968 development project.

The rear vented bumper mod is the first as ground effects are always the best place to start (we all know that a spoiler will have its advantages but will also shred speed in a straight line hence why ground effects are key. I read that many owners remove their engine belly shield – doing so causes lift and drag which is the last thing you want on any rear engine car

I’d love to see the white 964T if anybody has a like to that thread?

Ultimately and at the end of the day there is only so much computer simulation can do, the “proof in the pudding” is when taken to track to compare “like for like” (it all does go hand in hand though).

What I’d love to do is create a new steel blistered roof skin the same as the 997 S/P as myself being a tall driver I do know the problems with these cars when the need for a helmet at track is a necessity – this is something I’m looking into but it will really come down to cost.

Below the roof of the 997 S/P to help illustrate:

I was also inclined to remove the roof seam (like on the 959) but shied away from this at the last minute because I just wanted to get the car back home to build up etc as we do not have much more time until the car has to be in Switzerland as our 12 months “Inward Forward Process Relief” is nearly up Beni will continue the project at this point with the engine and underside etc.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

I’d love to see the white 964T if anybody has a like to that thread?

Here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rustrated.html

On here as LA964RS.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
future
Banned

Question

OK, last post for tonight as it’s getting late over in the UK

I really do like the black headlight surround on the Sport Classic which was a very nice little touch (below)

I’d really like to apply the same “effect” (yes I know this is a trim panel), and was thinking about painting directly onto the glass and then protecting with some Expel or 3M Clear Shield.

My question is, does anybody have a suggestion as to a paint which can be applied directly to glass? I’ve never had a need for such before but am sure this is possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: Project Battle Ship - AKA L63A Sport Classic 993