993 Forum 1995-1998

ducktail on cab brake light???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ducktail on cab brake light???

Hello, all, I am considering putting a duck tail on my c4 cab. I asked a while ago if anyone had pics and no one responded so maybe I'll be the guinea pig here. I have the basket handle 3rd brake light obviously due to it being a cab. I'm assuming I won't put the basket handle back after duck tail install, so I guess I don't really have an option and will be without a 3rd brake light. Does anyone see a problem with that? And any recommendations on whose duck tail has the better fit/quality. I see Getty designs which FD Motorsports is using and there is a duck tail on Ebay right now from rennspeed motorsport. Any ideas are appreciated thanks guys.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
I'm assuming I won't put the basket handle back after duck tail install, so I guess I don't really have an option and will be without a 3rd brake light. Does anyone see a problem with that?
Maybe your local DMV may have a problem with that? Isn't a 3rd light required in your state? If they don't then you should be good.

However, if your car is lowered, with all the SUV trucks running around, having a 3rd light may help you to avoid a rear end collision.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm assuming I won't put the basket handle back after duck tail install, so I guess I don't really have an option and will be without a 3rd brake light. Does anyone see a problem with that?
IIRC it's a federal law. I think if your car came w/a 3rd brake light from the factory, it would be more than 'frowned on' if you removed it. Having said that, the chances of law enforcement knowing that your car came with a 3rd brake light from the factory are probably slim to none, don't you think? Especially if there's no trace of one ever being there. Of course, since the law, I believe, started in 1987, if you were pulled over by a bright individual that knew the law and he figures out that your car was manufactured after '87 and he notices you don't have one ... you could always say it was a european delivery and claim the 5th, except if someone rear ends you, then your pretty much SCREWED.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
IIRC it's a federal law. I think if your car came w/a 3rd brake light from the factory, it would be more than 'frowned on' if you removed it....

I never had any problem on my cab when it had the turbo tail (have since gone back to the stock decklid with the basket handle). That said, I have also been lucky and not been sited for failure to have a front license plate, despite being required here.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

So for the rest of people on here that had basket handle 3rd brake light and went to a duck tail, what are you guys doing? Did you move to the rear window brake light or are you just without one?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I went with the high mounted rear window light when I put on my RS wing, but I have a coupe. Like mentioned above, I think lack of 3rd brake light might be frowned upon at inspection time. Have you considered something custom let (flush mounted) into the ducktail? Go to a junkyard and look for something to adapt. Are you capable with fiberglass? If I had a cab, that's what I would have done.

Maybe something from this page could be adapted? (1st and 3rd llights look closest option to me)
http://www.commandelectronics.com/th...ke-lights.html

Or, my best suggestion, here is a "how to" using watson's flush mount LED 3rd brake light. This would be slick with a duck tail on a cab or coupe!
http://www.replicarclub.com/Newslett...BrakeLight.pdf
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/l...ke_lights.html #L58SMBT

Last edited by DanQ; 09-24-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added how to link
Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS tail on my white 95 no third brake lights never been a problem .
Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I won't put the basket handle back after duck tail install, so I guess I don't really have an option.
Chris-- IMO, there are always options. The limits to those are typically research, time, desire, money, & creativity. I like I]DanQ[/I]'s above advice about working with fiberglass to customize your solution (assumedly what your duck tail wil be made of), & going to various parts resources for inspiration & availability.

Does anyone see a problem with that?
Would be best to delineate what you personally consider a problem area.
Otherwise, at least 3 significant variables:
- Safety
- Aesthetics
- Legality

Any of the 3 could be a show-stopper (no pun intended), depending upon an owner's priorities.

Safety: generally, the more lights the better.
Aesthetics (appearance): absolutely your call.
Legality: I can only speak from experience, YMMV. Check with your authorities.
FWIW, for the years our 993s were produced, my research uncovered 2 general aspects: federal mandate (IIRC, three brake lights installed) & local enforcement (two of the three have to be functional where I live). I was told enforcement can even vary county by county

My current solution between safety, aesthetics, and legality is what's shown below: 2 additional brake lights in the center reflector. On an average day that means I have 4 operational lights (more than I'd have with OEM brake lights including a basket handle third brake light). On a bad day, if one light goes out, I still have 3 lights operational; 1 more than necessary to keep Johnny Law from writing me up.

Be safe, & good luck at finding the most convenient option that's best for you

From BobbyT's "Rear center reflector--unused bulb sockets?" thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover
I lucked out regarding convenience: previous owner installed my mod!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Regarding research, you may have found threads such as BobbyT's above-mentioned "Rear center reflector--unused bulb sockets."

Perhaps Crimson Nape Racing (Bob)'s "DIY Third Brake Light (95 model)" thread has inspiration for your ducky dilemma...
Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing

I decided with the number of bad drivers around (and all the lawyers) I should have a third brake light, so I got a strip of red led's and made my own.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris-- Your main request sounds like a request to see other cabs with ducktails. Short of that, there may be more LED inspiration on the 356 forum, on RLer Q's impressive "retro tech project for my 356... LED brake light & indicator upgrade" thread
Originally Posted by Q

time for a little retro tech project for my 356... LED brake lights & indicator upgrade

i wanted everything covert when not in use....
so i opted for a centre mount brake light in the engine grille,
and indicators in the louvres

look a little deeper...

lights in action !!

night time....

i am stopping now.....time to put down the ipod and look up....

the front received an upgrade whilst i was on a roll.
these were actually motorbike indicators

quite pleased with the results, particularly the brightness during the day !

Q
Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you decide you'd like extra brake lights in your center reflector, RLer Jeff96-993 may be a great resource. Here's his ducktail (coupe):
Originally Posted by Jeff96-993

looks much nicer in person.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Many owe RLer Ilko for getting us interested in that mod ^^, thanks to his DIY photo tutorial:
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So for the rest of people on here that had basket handle 3rd brake light and went to a duck tail, what are you guys doing?
Chris-- When another one bites the duck, they all do this:

EBay's "Porsche 911 993 Illuminated Reflector Bar—NEW." Starting bid $999.
Auction #160481307641, FS by 'automotiveauthorfreeinformation.' No affiliation.

If you call now, you can get the Forum discount price of $993; keyword: 'quack.' Operators standing by
Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 what curver lover has posted. If you know a real good body guy that works well with Fiber Glass he can integrate the 3rd brake light in the middle of the Duck Tail a la the Sport Classic duck tail. That would be pretty cool Running the wiring would be Duck Soup!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Well it looks like putting brake lights in the center reflector will be my best bet. I was also thinking what Cahrera said and putting the current light into the duck tail, but I'd rather keep it for my original tail if I ever decide to change back. What about just putting the basket handle light back on the duck tail. Would that be too much going on in the rear of the car. Would I lose my "DUCK CRED" if I do something like that? Could anyone possibly photoshop a basket handle on a car with a ducktail, or a ducktail on a car with basket handle?

Quick Reply: ducktail on cab brake light???