Sponsored by:

993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 468 Posts
Default 993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area

So I'm on an unscheduled, last minute vacation this week. Thought about going camping/quading but it's so darn hot (90ish) that there's a campfire ban on. What fun is camping if you can't burn **** while eating milk and drinking cookies at night?

So, over a few beer yesterday (surprise, I know), a plan has hatched. Goin to California via 993. Me in the 97, my friend Doug with his 98 "S" (he even got fiancee approval!). This is a VERY last minute thing so I'm looking for some suggestions and advice.

1. Route. One direction will be via I-5, unsure whether it will be on the way there or back. The "other" direction will hopefully be via scenic, less congested (hopefully), P-car friendly roads. Suggestions?

2. Things to do. Like I said, this is a last-minute decision (crazy, I know) and we're hoping to be back early(ish) Saturday. Considering an MLB game in Oakland Wednesday o Thursday. Anything Porsche/993 related happening this week? I know, THE car event of the year is packing up as we speak.

3. What to bring. Here's my list:
Garmin GPS
spare battery for immobilizer
spare DME relay
spare belts (they're the old ones but still in good shape)
i-pod
bra (for the car silly)
2-way radios
laptop
camera
Anything more?

4. Hotels. Will I get good pricing just by showing up or should I search one of the hotel price sites? As this is a fly-by-the-seat-of-993 thing, I don't want to have a specific destination every day.

5. Lastly, this seem reasonable? Keep in mind I'm used to covering large distances every day (750 miles + in an 18 wheeler) so that doesn't worry me too much.

TIA!

PS: 2nd time trying to post this.........lost the first one.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We could MAKE a 993 "thing" happen. I'm 4 miles from the Coliseum, so if you want I can get tickets. Wed is a day game (Toronto if that matters to you!), Thu-weekend is Tampa.

Time-wise, if you're just blowing down straight you'd probably split the trip in Ashland maybe?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tim,

Don't leave home without your Valentine1!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is taking care of the dogs ?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If you want a cool lunch stop over south of Seattle with great beer, just send me am email/PM.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun!!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Stop by Mountville but call me on normal time when I speak the language
Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Stop by Mountville but call me on normal time when I speak the language
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
We could MAKE a 993 "thing" happen. I'm 4 miles from the Coliseum, so if you want I can get tickets. Wed is a day game (Toronto if that matters to you!), Thu-weekend is Tampa.

Time-wise, if you're just blowing down straight you'd probably split the trip in Ashland maybe?
Thanks Ken, I'll keep the Thursday game in mind. We'll see how the timing works out. Can you send me your email/contact info? timothymoffat@shaw.ca

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Tim,

Don't leave home without your Valentine1!
Goin naked. (No detector)

Originally Posted by briefescape
Who is taking care of the dogs ?
Doug's fiancee, Lindsay. They're in good hands. This is the hardest part of traveling.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
If you want a cool lunch stop over south of Seattle with great beer, just send me am email/PM.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun!!
Thanks Mike. Lunch would probably be on the way back.........time dependant.

Well, signing off and leaving fairly soon. Am I really doing this? I'm taking a small laptop/notebook so I can check here for updates. Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap, you'll blow my recent 1,449 mile trip to Redwoods out of the water! Good on ya!

For hotels I've been plopping into a Starbuck's for quick break & logging on Hotwire to make reservation before arriving. That works if you have some idea of where you'll be at check-in time. However, you might want to bring along Lonely Planet or similar because they include the various small inns located on the coast.

Drop me PM if in PDX in either direction & interested in grabbing a bevie.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Tim, the pacific coast highway is great in Oregon and northern Ca. Probably one of the most scenic drives I have taken in the States.

I've heard from several people that the police in Oregon don't give much leeway on speeding. A friend recently got dinged doing 85 in a 70 and it cost her $475 US.

If you like to quad there is a place in southern Oregon that rents dune buggies and quads. Check out the link for more information: http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_g...egon_dunes.htm

Have a great trip! I am envious.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM
J.Graham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You kill me.... We just get back from an 8 hour trip to the states- tearing up Mt. Baker and the surrounding area... and 24 hours later your heading back over the line. I think it's the Miller Genuine Draft at corner stores and the cheap gas
Here's my too bits- Get to the coast arround Portland (after beers with the guys arround Seattle), the road is twisty and there are some fun touristy things to do; Trees of Mystery, Sea Lion Caves, and major Dunes where you can rent dune buggies for a few hours and have some off-road fun! Lots of little motels along the way. Then into San Fransisco and Oakland for a game. Next... Vegas Baby!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a detour in N CA over to Mendocino and drive down Rt 1 through Bodega Bay (home of The Birds). Great winding roads just be REALLY careful of deer if you're driving at night. Lots of great places for lunch and maybe a microbrew.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 AM
user 70801213
Banned

you have to drive hwy 36 !!!! from hwy 1 to hwy 5- go east bound....its awesome and takes 4 hours.....

from 5 south in Grants pass take 199 west. then go hwy 1/101 south go thru Eureka then take 36 east....

make sure you fill up with gas first!

this will dump you off at hwy 5 again south of redding at red bluff....

long detour but AWESOME roads.

also on 199 you will go thru the GIANT redwoods area - stop at Jedediah Smith RW state park....!!!!

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx3vprAZMbY
Old 08-17-2010, 02:19 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

What he said. ^ I've done that road both ways. One of the best you could ask for in a pcar.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Tone
Racer

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
you have to drive hwy 36 !!!! from hwy 1 to hwy 5- go east bound....its awesome and takes 4 hours.....

from 5 south in Grants pass take 199 west. then go hwy 1/101 south go thru Eureka then take 36 east....

make sure you fill up with gas first!

this will dump you off at hwy 5 again south of redding at red bluff....

long detour but AWESOME roads.

also on 199 you will go thru the GIANT redwoods area - stop at Jedediah Smith RW state park....!!!!

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx3vprAZMbY
+1: Hwy 36 is among the best roads I've EVER driven. Do it a couple times a year at least. You'll understand once you've done it...

Quick Reply: 993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area