993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
We have them smartguy! The "last minute" lane change was more like an "Oh ****!" lane change.......not pretty. I decided it was a bad idea to follow.

Hans, why not get in your 993, drive down here, and join us for the drive home! Come on, it's not that far.
I guess FRS not hands free then?

Yeah I could do that - let me sleep on that idea.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey Tim, glad to see your having a great time down here in my old stomping grounds, should have put up some kind of 'meet' for everybody. I'm laughin' at your antics because 35+ years ago, I went into that EXACT neighborhood to buy a '58 Speedster I saw advertised in the S.F. Chronicle. My buddy and I pull up in front of this old, run down tenement with the Speedster parked in the driveway. A skinny white guy, no shirt, barefoot, biker tatoos, stringy dirty shoulder length hair and chest length beard with a revolver stuffed in the back of his pants comes out, starts the car and revs it a couple of times. My buddy asks me 'are you gonna buy it?' and I say yes, so he immediately gets in his car and splits without even asking if I want him to follow me home ... I hand Mr. Gypsy Joker $2000 cash and his junkie girlfriend comes running out of the house, he hands her $200 and says 'go get the junk, baby' ... and I get in this Rose/Silver Speedster and blast outa there so fast, I'm leaving sparks in the dips in the intersections on the way to the Bay Bridge on ramp ...
Glad to hear nothings changed much ......
Wow. Kinda like E. Hastings, eh Tim? Or probably worse...
Old 08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
hmm. A Canadian cousin perhaps .....
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 AM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

East Hastings or maybe the choicer parts of 'Slurrey'.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

More 911s than I've had around the house since the early '90s. (And yes, there's a black one in the garage.)
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey Tim, glad to see your having a great time down here in my old stomping grounds, should have put up some kind of 'meet' for everybody. I'm laughin' at your antics because 35+ years ago, I went into that EXACT neighborhood to buy a '58 Speedster I saw advertised in the S.F. Chronicle. My buddy and I pull up in front of this old, run down tenement with the Speedster parked in the driveway. A skinny white guy, no shirt, barefoot, biker tatoos, stringy dirty shoulder length hair and chest length beard with a revolver stuffed in the back of his pants comes out, starts the car and revs it a couple of times. My buddy asks me 'are you gonna buy it?' and I say yes, so he immediately gets in his car and splits without even asking if I want him to follow me home ... I hand Mr. Gypsy Joker $2000 cash and his junkie girlfriend comes running out of the house, he hands her $200 and says 'go get the junk, baby' ... and I get in this Rose/Silver Speedster and blast outa there so fast, I'm leaving sparks in the dips in the intersections on the way to the Bay Bridge on ramp ...
Glad to hear nothings changed much ......
JP, you were the subject of some (good) conversation tonight. I'd REALLY like to see your fat-cab soon. Hint-hint.

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Yeah I could do that - let me sleep on that idea.
Are you here yet?

Originally Posted by syzygy
Similar......but different.

Originally Posted by JPP
hmm. A Canadian cousin perhaps .....
No comment.

Originally Posted by 98_993_cab
East Hastings or maybe the choicer parts of 'Slurrey'.
See above.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
More 911s than I've had around the house since the early '90s. (And yes, there's a black one in the garage.)
HOLY **** Ken, you're quick! (Ken just dropped myself and Doug off @ Chez D'Luxe 1/2 hour ago)

A BIG thankyou to you and your wife for your tremendous hospitality. It was great meeting you.

Doug and myself went to Ken's place thisafternoon and gave the Road Warrior 993s a much needed bath. Just when we were finishing some punk in a clapped-out old VW showed up. Oh wait, it was D. Fister in his 993! (I'm kidding of course. Mr. Fister's car gave me some evil thoughts) Hope to make it out to the FDM Facility (Western Division) tomorrow. Darin, could you please advise your security department?

Seriously, the four of us had a great time watching a (WINNING!) A's game.....my first MLB game ever! Baseball, Porsche-talk, racecar talk, even political talk, and maybe even a couple beer. Thanks for the fun night.

993 content? These cars are tanks. Take any other 13-14 year old car out on a roadtip like this, drive it like you stole it, and see what happens. Stupid thing runs better and is pretty decent on gas to boot. Impressed.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great to have everyone over.

Oh, missed the fifth "cousin" in the backyard. Can't believe I want to sell it, but it's really extra at this point. (140K/$23K, if anyone is interested.)
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
JP, you were the subject of some (good) conversation tonight. I'd REALLY like to see your fat-cab soon. Hint-hint.
Uh oh. Am I gonna have to move AGAIN?????
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Update: Left Oakland @ 9:45am, got in the door (Maple Ridge, BC; ~950 miles away) @ 1am. ~2000miles round trip + the 300 mile warmup last Sunday. I'm going to bed.

Pics, observations, and some funny stories tomorrow. Probably later rather than sooner. Dogs + house need attention, car needs a major clean, then a beer.

FYI, I actually added a litre (or quart, Darin/Ken!) when I filled up in Blaine Washington just before getting home, the first in well over 3000miles, and if anything it may be a tad over. These cars work better when used.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
droy3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. really enjoyed it!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

All rested up now, dogs happy, cars cleaned. What a fun trip. Now I'm going to need an oil change twice in the same year, new to me with a 993, and my rear tires are down to 3/32 on the inside.....still OK but I wouldn't want to hit standing water @ speed.

Trip home was LONG!! Just under 1000 miles over 3 states and 1 province in ~ 15 hours averaging 24mpg/US. Stopped in Salem Oregon to get a new Garmin from BestBuy, fuel, and beer (beer is 1/2 the cost US compared to Canada). Too bad the sales girl @ BB didn't listen, sold me a GPS without Canadian maps. Then stopped in Lacey Washington for a pizza, final stop in Blaine for yet more fuel and cross the border home. Border guard: "Where did you come from today?" Me: "Oakland CA." Guard: "That's a long trip, why?" Me: "Why not?"

Btw, a trip like this requires music and I was quite amused by the timing of some songs popping up. In no particular order: "Running on Empty" in northern California while getting nervice about fuel, "Backdoor Man" (Doors) in SF, "Loser" while giving the car a quick detail in the hotel parking lot. I had the ipod on shuffle. Oh, then I really had a chuckle, somehow I ended up with the soundclip from a Fister video come on while driving through Seattle.

Now some pics, I'll post some more tomorrow.

Filling up south of Seattle Monday night:

160MPH.....or not
Attached Images         

Last edited by timothymoffat; 08-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

More. Btw, Darin's car, with it's Ducktail and RS splitters/skirts looks frickin awesome. All it needs is some RS/964 Speedster/Recaro Pole Positions in grey with blue centre cushions to match the grey/blue dash & carpets. Mr. Fister, can you hear me?
Attached Images      
Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Can't figure out how to put descriptions between pics......I R SMRT.

Last one for now, the Three Wise Men (Darin, Ken, and Doug):
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area