Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BAD ***!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi all.

Radio silence recently. After much research and work Phas 4 of my 5 Phase project is about to begin - so I thought I would fill you all in....

This round is about performance. Primarily power and torque, where its made and how its laid to the ground:

993SS Cams (courtesy of John Dougherty racing). Thes eare built upon stock early 993 cams sourced on ebay for $150 usd

Solid Rockers. Also by above supplier.

Elephants food adjusters (as above)

Eiback high lift spring set

Patrick Motorsport dual belt alloy lightweight crank pulley

New set of Beru leads (for security) and new spark plugs

Marcus Carbon Fiber engine fuse box cover and OBD1 round diagnostics port cover (for a tiny weight saving and alot of bling)

New Porsche Motorsports LSD 4 plate 40/65

Custom mapped Steve Wong chip with rpm lifted to 6800 based on post modification Dynapack Dyno AFRs.

Re plating of various engine hardware (factory OEM gold)

Cleaning and polishing of inlet and outlet sides of factory throttle body

Theres a tonne of labour involved to drop the engine and tranny and get the LSD lashing right using shims and the springs and cams in place and timed. Estimated shop hours are approx 40-50!

The goal in terms of engine performance are to achieve 1994 993 Supercup (3.8) figures or better in a tractable package that idles well and can still be driven by the wife to the corner shop! Thats 310 bhp and 273 lbft torque at the flywheel using a Dynapack 5000 hub mounted Dyno witha conservative but realistic 10% mark up on RWHP and RWTQ.

The work starts this week but may take a few weeks at least to complete. Infact most of April due to some outsourced work and having to get Dyno time then 10 days to recieve reprogrammed chip etc. Im hoping to post initial post work Dyno (pre to remapping) in 4 weeks time. It will be interesting to see if its money well spent....

Phase 5 involved lowering the vehicle a further 10mm front and 5-8mm rear. Rear wheel offsets may be reduced 3-5mm per wheel to achieve this without interference (the final height will be RS mean measurement). We will be using the yet to be luanched JIC 15 way shocks for 993 which have new stainless front towers and larger front and rear tubes. They will of course have monoball rears and adjustable camber plates for the front and I am hoping also remote rear adjusters for ease of tuning.

Phase 5 is the final phase before a big detailing job and final photo shoot. I expect this cleaning and preening to take place at year end and then hopefully 2012 will see the beginning of a new project. Phase 5 will include a few other subtle interior modifications which Ill share at a later date....

Really I think the bottom of the cliff is finally coming into focus. I see my bank manager down there holding hands with my angry wife and he looks like hes kissing her....but maybe shes slapping him in the face.....I hope so.....LOL!

Caio

M
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Macca
Your car looks great and great to see a righthand drive car.

I have done simular to a black 1997 manual coupe in Australia.
Complete respray, stripped back to bare metal.
Turbo front bumper
Turbo S rear engine cover- genuine Porsche.
PSS10 shocks
18inch Turbo wheels
Replaced every bit and piece that was not perfect.
Installed auto windows control, purchased from a chap from NZ.

Thanks, Neil Sydney Australia
Neil where did you get your PSS10's from in Australia? Or, was it cheaper to import them from overseas? Any difference in the ride/harshness? I'm considering fitting them to my C4S.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap.

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi all.

Radio silence recently. After much research and work Phas 4 of my 5 Phase project is about to begin - so I thought I would fill you all in....

This round is about performance. Primarily power and torque, where its made and how its laid to the ground:

993SS Cams (courtesy of John Dougherty racing). Thes eare built upon stock early 993 cams sourced on ebay for $150 usd

Solid Rockers. Also by above supplier.

Elephants food adjusters (as above)

Eiback high lift spring set

Patrick Motorsport dual belt alloy lightweight crank pulley

New set of Beru leads (for security) and new spark plugs

Marcus Carbon Fiber engine fuse box cover and OBD1 round diagnostics port cover (for a tiny weight saving and alot of bling)

New Porsche Motorsports LSD 4 plate 40/65

Custom mapped Steve Wong chip with rpm lifted to 6800 based on post modification Dynapack Dyno AFRs.

Re plating of various engine hardware (factory OEM gold)

Cleaning and polishing of inlet and outlet sides of factory throttle body

Theres a tonne of labour involved to drop the engine and tranny and get the LSD lashing right using shims and the springs and cams in place and timed. Estimated shop hours are approx 40-50!

The goal in terms of engine performance are to achieve 1994 993 Supercup (3.8) figures or better in a tractable package that idles well and can still be driven by the wife to the corner shop! Thats 310 bhp and 273 lbft torque at the flywheel using a Dynapack 5000 hub mounted Dyno witha conservative but realistic 10% mark up on RWHP and RWTQ.

The work starts this week but may take a few weeks at least to complete. Infact most of April due to some outsourced work and having to get Dyno time then 10 days to recieve reprogrammed chip etc. Im hoping to post initial post work Dyno (pre to remapping) in 4 weeks time. It will be interesting to see if its money well spent....

Phase 5 involved lowering the vehicle a further 10mm front and 5-8mm rear. Rear wheel offsets may be reduced 3-5mm per wheel to achieve this without interference (the final height will be RS mean measurement). We will be using the yet to be luanched JIC 15 way shocks for 993 which have new stainless front towers and larger front and rear tubes. They will of course have monoball rears and adjustable camber plates for the front and I am hoping also remote rear adjusters for ease of tuning.

Phase 5 is the final phase before a big detailing job and final photo shoot. I expect this cleaning and preening to take place at year end and then hopefully 2012 will see the beginning of a new project. Phase 5 will include a few other subtle interior modifications which Ill share at a later date....

Really I think the bottom of the cliff is finally coming into focus. I see my bank manager down there holding hands with my angry wife and he looks like hes kissing her....but maybe shes slapping him in the face.....I hope so.....LOL!

Caio

M
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. Nice to see one who went much farther down the slippery slope than I did...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Macca
Man - that work is gonna cost a fair few bucks.
All that for 310bhp. Why not go Motec or even TPC SC ?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

993RS. Phil compared to your previous yellow RS project I havent yet quite gone as far down the rabbit hole as you :-). We have both been around here too long.....

Last edited by Macca; 04-08-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi HaygeeBaby.

Suprisingly the hp upgrades werent that expensive (realatively speaking). My engine is already fettled producing 292bhp/258lbft. Getting extra power and in the useable 5500-6300 rpm band was never going to be a easy or cheap call. The donor cams, cam grinding DC21-114 spec), Custom made rockers, adjusters, springs and gasket set for the work came to around 1500 aud. The labour will be a similar amount - maybe a tad more. Add another 350 aud for custom ship reprogramme and dyno runs. For 20bhp/15lbft at this end of the game it was a fair return I thought. I get a stronger top end and check everything out for another 70k km of hopefully trouble free motoring too. I looked at TCP but its 12+k installed properly and does take some of the originality away. In any case my next project (track car) takes everything I have done and learnt from this project and thus the experience is useful....

The LSD with fitting was actuallly more expensive than the horsepower as the hardware shipped was not cheap and the labour can be 10-12 hrs!

Cheers

M

Last edited by Macca; 04-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi all.

Not alot today to report. First day of the project and Porsche Shops camera phone pics not the best...

Compression test first up to see if there are any suprises after 17 years and 44,000 miles before we drop the engine and tackle the cams...Luckily all seems good:

Cylinder 1, 167 psi 98.2% 1.8%
Cylinder 2 ,170 psi 100% ------
Cylinder 3 ,169 psi 99.4% 0.6%
Cylinder 4 ,163 psi 95.9% 4.1%
Cylinder 5 ,160 psi 94.1% 5.9%
Cylinder 6 ,162 psi 95.3% 4.7%

Marcus CF engine fuse box cover with genuine factory warning sticker. Looks nice and it much lighter the factory one. Bit of bling really....

First snag. Porsche no longer make the sticker for the inside and the original one looks too fragile from 17 years of heat to remove. Anyone have any suggestions? At this stage I appear to have only the option of cleaning the original sticker up, photographing it high resolution the cropping the file tidyng it up and having a print shop print it on an adehsive label.

Other jobs today included intsalling new factory plastic front brake dams. $15 each and the old one were very scruff. A no brainer.

Tommorow starts the big job with tearing down the gearbox for LSD and shims. Also installation of new leads. Cam towers opened up etc etc

Stay tuned....
Attached Images      
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah - no real cheap HP for these cars. If you can get the extra 20fwhp from that - it could be well worth it. Good luck with that and keep us updated.

You really have a carbon fettish don't you. But your car has plenty of eye candy. Again - sweet ride you have created there.
Make sure you take some pics of the engine bay with the CF fuse box - I want that as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome. That engine bay looks like a work of art.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys. Thanks for the comments. the CF started as a factory gear stick, handbrake and steering wheel with some door handels. Then I met Marcus and it became a bit of an addiction. Apart from Robert Linton I think my 993 might be the most "carbonised" on rennlist now! Last count was something like 53 individual pieces! Ive kept everything black and grey internally and kept the external colours also just blue grey and black. Although there sounds like alot of carbon it actually isnt overly noticeable as it seems coordinated into the interior and engine bay as if it were supposed to be there...

The engine bay isnt quite finished yet. A little more fettling with some tarnished hardware and we will almost be there....

Cheers
M
Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

First snag. Porsche no longer make the sticker for the inside and the original one looks too fragile from 17 years of heat to remove. Anyone have any suggestions? At this stage I appear to have only the option of cleaning the original sticker up, photographing it high resolution the cropping the file tidyng it up and having a print shop print it on an adehsive label.
You might try these guys:

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...uct_list&c=116
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Day two. Second snag but also some positive outcomes....

Today saw the attempted fitment of the Patrick Motorsport dual belt lightweight alloy crank pulley. It doesnt fit! The ebay advertising indicated it would work on late 3.6l engines and mentiond 993. From the pictures below you will see why. The PMS crank puleyseats itself closer to the crank. The a/c blt no longer clears the a/c pump alloy mount bracket. Most fustrating as this wasnt a cheap AM piece! PMS have been emailed and I am hoping the will offer a refund. Ive asked for their advise but weve had 3 Porsche techs take a look and there are no obvious solutions. The suggetion is this may fit a 964 engine configuration but not a NVR 993. Hope this helps future RLsers. If anyone can shed any light on this them please do....

That is the second modification attempt failure in over 90 updates to the car so if thats all that doesnt work out then Im ok with it. The other was a RHD/LHD supplier/buyer commincation/comprehension issue. these cars can have some quite subtle differences being ROR and RHD vs products supplied ex states for US LHD versions...

LSD install has gone really well. The boys were happy. These can be tricky - but this onewent very smoothly apparetly! I hope than means less labour LOL! I for one didnt realis how much work is involved in this. Its like open heart surgery! Some pictures below of the gearbox during the transplant. The factory locking dif vs the Motorsports 40/65 unit. All internals were apparently in very good condition. Bolted back up now but waiting for drive shaft flange seals and some extra gaskets etc. Apparently recommended "while you are in there" items.

Engine hardware is being stipped off for DC21 cam install over coming days. Now this is the part I certainly want to go to plan!
Attached Images      
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you doing a re-gear while the transmission is apart?

Oh wait...you RoW guys have the good gear box while we here in the US have the crappy one!!!!

Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!