Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 202 Posts

Macca,

Don't know how I missed this thread - re the JIC's

I have been running a set of JIC's for a long time. Took a bit of time to get set up - but after they went in and were dialled - I cant complain. Way stiffer than PSS9/10 on the road - but i felt as though they also controlled the car better - and therefore had less 'bump and thump" than a similarly sprung car with PSS9.(on the awesome (!!!!!!) roads around here )

Like Bill eluded - spring weight is only half the battle - valving is the key. The JIC's are good. Not quite MOTON / Custom valve good - but a solidly built unit, that has some nice features built in. If you are going to corner weight the car properly - it will be so much more difficult with PSS9. (Not sure if the PSS10 have adjustable ride height collars?)

As for being Japanese made and begin crap quality...... Cmon mate!!

Simon.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Simon. Great to hear from you. Interested in your feedback on the JICs. Can you tell me what springs you are running?

Im not sure I subscribed to the view the japanese manufactured shocks were poor quality. Quite the contrary - thats a concern I identified from a few others on RL when researching the JIC product. Infact I have a number of Japanese 993 "magazines" in the library and Im fully aware of what the domestic Japanese tuner circles are capable of for the 993 model and Im jealous they arent sharing that stuff with the rest of the world!

Ive been in close liason with Jon at JIC. I got interested to late for the no discontinued generation of shocks for 993. Jon is a Porsche guy with a 993 habit and a race car so he knows the set up. He has shared with me the early CADs for the shortly to be manufactured and released RS4 shocks and the same but version with resivours. Im very impressed and cannot wait to be getting on of the first 993 sets. We are talking stainless front tubes, all tubes around 2-4mm larger in diameter and the front shocks with billet end pieces. 15 way with rebound and compression adjustability seperately, still front camber plate and rear Mono. Jon intends to have them built in the US and from what hes indicated I believe they will take the same springs and keepers as the earlier models but have a more secure locking ring system. Hopefully the rears will still allow the remote adjusters. We are talking 3-4 months away until they are production which runs very close to my deadline but even if these are the last thing to go on the car I will be happy....I still have a bit more to do before the car is ready in any case....

cheers
M
Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anniversary of what?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca,

Seems like a nice setup. Is this a new package offered by JIC especially made for the 993? Sounds cool. I always wondered how much of a comfortability compromise it would be riding on JICs or Motons. It seems like if they are properly setup they can give a very smooth ride as well, despite being a "racing" suspension system. I take it you mainly use your car for spirited driving so perhaps that is not an issue for you..
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Viggo.
Yes. This is my concern also. This care will be used for a few track days a year but almost 95% the rest of the time as a weekend or long distance tourer for spirited drives down back roads around the country on weekends. Infact this has been how its veeb used for most of its time with me other than its first year a decade a go when it was used as a daily driver. I have done alot of research and I believe is soft enough matched springs are chosen the new jics should be superior on the road if correctly adjusted. Infact any decently made and valved shock made specificallly for our cars (and the weight and weight distribution of them) should provide benefits on the road if matched to teh correct springs. The new JICs are designed for 993. I have the CADs on the 964 version. They are model specific. The springs are cost effective and there is a wide range available with 6/9 or 7/10 adviseable for street up to 8/11-12 for track and 9-10/12-14 often used for club or regular racing. I dont think these will be simple to set up well so i will use a tourng car champion driver to work with me setting these up on track and then road and eliminate the "dumb" factor that is me!

NP993
Every day is an "anniversary" when you are lucky enough to own a 993 mate! I think its all covered off in post 1.....

Cheers
M
Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Patrick Motorsport helped me out of that alloy dual belt crank pulley I bought which didnt fit. Worked out a return deal on a new genuine Porsche 993RS cubsport dual crankshaft pulley which will also be installed during Phase 5 this month. Its about 60% of teh weight of the factory 3 belt unit and same diameter. Looks like we will be waiting till August for Phase 6 which I am hoping by that time will only involve fitting and setting up the new JIC shocks.....

M
Attached Images    
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 AM
cbnz
Instructor

Surely not Bairdo for the setup? If so, where? You really want to win in Taupo next Feb? Will be great to see the car in the flesh.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Craig. Good guess! But in all honesty it will probably be whom ever is available on the day assuming Im in the country and the shocks arrive in a reasonable timeframe. Win in Taupo? Not me. I must confess its been a while since I last saw a track (968 6spd). I just see dirt roads these days LOL!. It will be nice to get it set up properly. Im not tuned enough to telegraph under/oversteer characteristics and damper rates on the road. Ill need help. Im hoping though that a few thousand km on it over that week/end will help me regain my driving skills a little...

Cheers
M
Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That pulley looks like it is for the fan/alternator (as one belt) and the A/C correct?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Steve. Indeed you are correct. Im running the RS single hub on the alternator like many. Just thought Id lower the recirpocating weight on the crankshaft. Also less ugly. I think the factory 3 piece unit is around 770 grams and this part around 450 grams. I also had a credit I had to use up!

Cheers
M
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
marcb993
Advanced

Regarding the turbo front bumper dilemma, do you think it would be possible to modify the C2 bumper to accept the three inlet centre section of the turbo bumper, or alternatively modify the turbo bumper to accept the lower section of the c2 bumper (with its less protruding side vents)?

That would result in a turbo-look front bumper when viewed head on, without impairing the side view of the car.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Marcb993.

I think you have a great idea. IMHO the turbo bumper only looks good on the NB 993 from dead front on or front 3/4 angle. From the side or any other view it does not look in proportion. The turbo bumper hangs lower and does not have the organic rounded flow of the the NB one. Furthermore it doesnt carry the crease at the right level to match into the crease below the door and on the NB rear bumper as the designers intended. Unfortunately the NB front bumper suffers one ungly element I believe. From the front it is one large long open grill with a bar through it. What a shame its not three pieces like the tubo one as you say.

Gemballa made an alternative bumper that was a cross between the two.

I think it would be relatively easy for someone to cut each end of that long middle strut on the NB front bumper and then make two inserts (need to be painted to match or could be painted in deviating colour) - one for each end that infact emulate the turbos three openings. This would be the simplest and most elegant solution. One could then use race meach behind for the gril....

If someone tried this I think a few of us could be interested...

M
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres a few of the dials in place.

Long story short....

Im very satisfied with the outcome although had to spend alot of my own time fettling these to make them look just right. Very hard to photograph however. Attached pictures are taken inside. these look great in natural light. T

he grey is Classic Grey a perfect match for the interior - with white indices. Legibility is excellent even in bright light. Back illumination is just as factory (I have warm white multi directional LEDs which are great). The only dual the light is slightly different is the Speedo which uses a plastic lens from factory rather than a glass so the LEDs have a slightly different cast through those with the grey dials.

The dials are genuine VDO. Same as Tequipment in 1994.

Overall the look is very striking. Everyone that has seen them loves them. They are of course personalised with "anniversary".

Let me know what you think?...
Attached Images        
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS the last shot is with a flash which makes the colour pop. In daylight they are the same chade as the classic grey steering wheel. not very good pictures im afraid....

M
Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

A+ job. Love every aspect of Your car.

Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!