Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Damien Lewis
Colin - I have to say - I am so impressed with the quality and speed of you and your shops work! I live in Los Angeles and we have our pick of Auto Body shops and none of them compare to yours...It seems like a project like this would take years instead of months here stateside...almost makes me want to ship you my P-car for a Speedster conversion..I am sure your shop is much more reasonable than the factory (if they'd ever agree to do a Speedster conversion).

Too bad you're not in LA...My 993, '72 RS and '69 Camaro could all benefit from a shop like yours!

Sincerely,

Damien Lewis
Thanks, Damien, I appreciate your comments.

I have to admit that this job has gone a lot quicker than most 9m conversions simply because we have a very helpful customer in Graham who is doing 99% of the legwork finding all the parts we want, then making sure they arrive with us before we actually need to fit them. That said, the 9m general manager Paul Redwood is probably one of the most experienced Porsche Parts experts in the UK (OPC trained & 20+yrs experience) so that also helps our cause no end!

Building cars to customer order is where we see the future of 9m Panelcraft, so whether the donor cars arrive from the UK, USA, Canada, Europe or Asia makes no difference to us. Obviously it would save a lot of hassle with import & registration to build your car from a locally sourced donor which is pre-registered in your name, at which point I suspect that the cost of each way shipping to 9m will be a small price to pay to know that the job has been done to perfection!

Enjoy the rest of the build.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rev counter fits....
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Who does the script inside the gauge? Anyone in the US?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Dam - this thing's gonna look good.
Love the colour.
Can't wait for the next set of pics and the finished pics.
Cheers
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Seeing that windscreen installed brings it all together for me ...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
bugs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Damien Lewis
Colin - I have to say - I am so impressed with the quality and speed of you and your shops work! I live in Los Angeles and we have our pick of Auto Body shops and none of them compare to yours...It seems like a project like this would take years instead of months here stateside...almost makes me want to ship you my P-car for a Speedster conversion..I am sure your shop is much more reasonable than the factory (if they'd ever agree to do a Speedster conversion).

Too bad you're not in LA...My 993, '72 RS and '69 Camaro could all benefit from a shop like yours!

Sincerely,

Damien Lewis

+100% Well said.
Everyday before I refer to this thread I have to borrow my son's bib just not to mess up my shirt. With the strict registration rule in HK, I hope, one day, my donor car will end up in your garage.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:40 AM
chode
Intermediate

I don't understand why you guys would install the dash with that lovely new silver stitching before you have finished the wiring, front screen, carpets etc? Surely your tempting fate with any grease / dirt / glue getting on the stitching - especially when its such an easy install at the end??

Its a bit off topic but for anyone interested in doing their interior I thought I would share my less conventional dash stitching which runs the full dash length matching up to the door sills. I've not seen it on any other air cooled 911's. I think it might be down to the difficulty in shaping the leather next to the dials..
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

I like your shifter and console. I think the dash might be too custom for the average Porsche guy.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

...glad I'm not average. Me like!!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I like too - but also like mine! Majority of the wiring is actually complete, with just the Becker GP to fit. Screen is fitted and I'm positive Marc & the 9M boys are professional enough not to leave mucky dabs on the dash!
Graham
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

How about 9m does another detailed build on here... I found an easy repair on a 1993 965. It's in your neck of the woods...
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dunavantent
How about 9m does another detailed build on here... I found an easy repair on a 1993 965. It's in your neck of the woods...
You must be mind reading - I have looked at this car several times but the asking price for the wreck put me off. In my view it would make the ideal donor to build a mint green 964RS 3.8 Clubsport, but as it's a comparatively rare 3.6 turbo I guess most would prefer to rebuild it back to standard. So the answer is yes, we could fix it perfectly without breaking sweat, but the new owner would have to do the maths on the project because I think the reality is that you could buy a non-damaged car from a lot less than the overall cost of the car + repair.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

At $34,000us that's up there. I bought a repaired 3.6 turbo for $38,000 back in the day. Do you guys have any experience with exporting cars to the US?
My real problem...
I can't fit my girls in the back of my speedster. I have a couple choices.... Sell my speedster and buy a coupe. Turn my speedster into a coupe, or cut out an after market clamshell so they can sit back there.
I would rather fix this 1993.
My dad imported a 1964 RHD SL Benz to the states in the 80's I have no clue whats involved today. I heard they lift importation laws. You can now get grey market cars past customs but can't get registration till later.
Looks like all the wheels are goners and there's s dent in the passenger door?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 270 Posts

WTF happened to it??
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

I think this guy took it out. He must still be running around over there.

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail