Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation SPY SHOTS: Boxster SPEEDSTER

Carsguide's Spy shots: Porsche Boxster Speedster
It could be the revival of the Speedster name.
The Speedster test car was caught by the Carparazzi photographic team at Nurburgring.
The Boxster Speedster is coming soon.
Autoblog's Spy Shots: Porsche working on Boxster Speedster?
The Speedster variants Porsche made out of its 911 range in the '80s and '90s went down as one of the most iconic in the company's history. But with the Boxster already in the line-up, making a 911 Speedster today would make about as much sense as, um.... mounting a flat six behind the rear axle. So what are they preparing instead? Well, if these spy shots are any indication, some sort of Boxster-based Speedster.

The mule captured in these photos is wearing an extensive amount of camouflage around the rear deck and roof, but sources suggest that underneath the disguise, this particular Boxster is wearing a more shapely rear hood, with Speedster-style moldings running from a pair of roll hoops aft of the seats down to the rear bumper.
AutoExpress' Porsche Boxster Speedster - Special edition version of Porsche's popular two seater is on the way
Porsche may be hard at work developing an entirely new Boxster – but the current car is going out in style! This is a Speedster version, which gets a dramatic new look with a pair of roll hoops at the rear, just like the classic 911 Speedster of the Eighties and Nineties.

Porsche engineers have done their best to disguise the aerodynamic look with a fake rear roof section but look closely at these pictures and you can just make out the twin humps which run from the rear end to the driver and passenger headrests.

Related RL threads -- 993 forum's slightly OT: next-gen SPEEDSTER!
987 forum -- SPY SHOTS: SPEEDSTER
986 forum -- SPY SHOTS: SPEEDSTER

Last edited by curve lover; 05-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Wait a second, Curve Lover posting something about Speedsters?!? Who woulda thunk it!

It certainly looks interesting. I guess we'll hafta wait and see...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, Curve -
All things considered, size-wise, the scale of a Boxster based Speedster seems like it would work o.k. And price-wise in this economy it definitely makes more sense, but, I'd still like to see a 997 based variant in person. It will be interesting to see how the top will work, especially if it's completely automatic...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So Curve Lover when did you start liking Speedsters?

Mike
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Wait a second, Curve Lover posting something about Speedsters?!? Who woulda thunk it!
It certainly looks interesting. I guess we'll hafta wait and see...
Could be positive step back toward lighter & sports-focused 2-door vehicles in appealing coachwork.

Originally Posted by JPP
Yeah, I'd still like to see a 997 based variant in person. It will be interesting to see how the top will work, especially if it's completely automatic...
JP-- +1!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe somebody could explain the significance of a Speedster? It just looks like any old Boxster to me. I've never understood the fascination with speedsters, whatever that even means.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lower windscreen, speed humps
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Arena993
So Curve Lover when did you start liking Speedsters?
Mike-- 'bout the first time I saw a 356 Speedster. Love the curves.
Neutral about the looks of 911 Speedsters, until 993 Speedster...
Probably a little late for Porsche to mass-produce those, so here's to hoping for appealing future factory production ... & available in Rivi Blue!
One of the most desirable collector models is the 356 "Speedster", introduced in late 1954 after Max Hoffman, the sole US importer of Porsches, advised the company that a lower-cost, open-top version could sell well in the American market. With its low, raked windshield (which could be removed for weekend racing), bucket seats and minimal folding top, the Speedster was an instant hit
-- wikipedia.org
Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

IMHO, looking at the lines and transitions in the bodies of 356 Speedsters, you can see the reflection of every other Porsche ever built...
Old 05-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

God, I hope that wing is just part of the disguise.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a Speedster? Well it all started with Hoffman Motors in New York, I think in 1953 or 1954, that importer wanted a cheaper Porsche, and as my friends in the 356 world will tell you the top is a joke on a Speedster. In the rain... it is like standing in the shower... I hope they have improved that!!!

Cheers,

Bert
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Arrow quirk appeal

Bert-- I bet any future production would improve upon weather-sealing, etc.
Originally Posted by Ocean Blue C2S
the 356 world will tell you the top is a joke on a Speedster. In the rain... it is like standing in the shower... I hope they have improved that!!!
I think 911 Speedster owners once signed releases acknowledging the top leaked in rain, etc. Most who see Porsche as high-end, high-dollar, & luxurious would find that unbelievable. The quirks, such as a lightened interior & manual top, endeared Speedsters to a focused following of enthusiasts.

Isn't the least practical & least civilized often the most sought-after?
Importance of 'quirk appeal' can be tied to the entire 911 line: its rear engine, etc., carved a niche into customers' collective consciousness & brand awareness. Porsche released the 928, expecting it to phase out the 911, not realizing its staying power.

The 964 Speedster owner's manual supplement says it's a fair-weather vehicle for open-air driving. Porsche wishes the driver many sunny days, that it's not to be pressure or machine-washed, & to expect inconveniences such as wind noise, air & water leakage due to its emergency top. Quirky.
Speedster models are today among the most desirable 356 models. ... A fully-restored 356 Carrera Speedster (of which only about 140 were ever made) will sell for around $300,000 at auction.
-- wikipedia.org
Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting! Boxster Speedster... hmmm. I like it. The Boxster curves seem to work with it.

There was a 964 Speedster at a local PCA thing a week or so ago. It looked pretty good but the front fenders don't work for me on a Speedster.
Still a damn cool car.
But I agree, the front curves on the 993 work better with the low-slung look of the Speedster.

There were 2 356 Speedsters there also... I kept coming back to drool on them. Those things are just so damn cool.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark-- Yep, 356 Speedster's da bomb.
Unfortunately, it seems their owners rarely take 'em 'out into the wild,' probably 'cuz they're so valuable, or they're too impractical from the standpoint of modern advances.
As a result, I daydream about a modern version that looks as good & is more convenient for near-daily driving.

I agree: so far the 993 Speedster has (had?) the most potential, but here's to hoping the factory does something fly in the future.

Thanks to RLer "Blue2000S" for the updated photo link he just posted on the 986 forum.
From leftLaneNews.com's Spied: Porsche Boxster Speedster:

Quick Reply: SPY SHOTS: Boxster SPEEDSTER