Sponsored by:

Rear Toe Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, first drive, unaligned, with the new bars. It needs alignment, but the swaying I had before is gone. I've chased this forever, and now it seems fixed. Will post install pics soon!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Great news! I am waiting for the rubber boots, and will install as well!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
OK, first drive, unaligned, with the new bars. It needs alignment, but the swaying I had before is gone. I've chased this forever, and now it seems fixed.
I had something similar, and I believe it is now gone for me as well, though I haven't really had a chance to push the car hard enough to know for sure. Did your symptoms show up only during spirited driving?

I had a totally new alignment along with the new arms and other work too, so I can't be sure what the actual fix was, but if the rear toe value was actually changing mid-corner due to the worn parts, that seems to makes sense as far as what I was feeling. It was not pleasant.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

But both of you guys just changed to the toe arm and not the rest of the arms, right? Interesting that it seems to change the dynamics quite a bit, although having an alignment may also contribute to the corrections.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-15-2009, 01:02 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
But both of you guys just changed to the toe arm and not the rest of the arms, right? ...
In my case the other links were fine, only the toe control arms were shot so I only changed those.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

From what others have said, the toe control arms are the ones to worry about. And the hunting issue was even in a straight line, higher speeds usually, it just felt light and worrisome in the back end.

It felt much better planted on my first drive.

Just scheduled my alignment today, they can't fit me in until June 5th! But I'll wait patiently until then, the guy who does it is a perfectionist with a ton of experience on Porsches and 993's.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

has anyone else installed tarett locking plates?
and noticed any issues?
it seems like the locking plates were designed to fit in the eccentric slot and then they drilled the bolt hole in the wrong spot.
placed in the slot the locking plate is a good fit but it needs to be raised up 6mm to slide the bolt in place.
it will likely still act as a locking plate but I'm wondering if this is actually a generic product that needs to be redrilled to fit a 993 correctly.
so has anyone drilled the hole higher or have you just used as is?
and yes, 4 years later the bolts are still too long, in my case they hit either the sway bar or heater pipes.
Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Booties

I have booties (Rubber covers) for my ERP camber and toe dog bones. I believe I got them from Tarrett Engineering. I will get the kinematic toe links one of these days.

Iras Rainin from Tarrett Engineering is really good on customer service. And Steve Weiber is tops as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Should work fine - here is the Tarett locks on a 993.

When I fit them on my Targa, there were no issues, but you might want to try them upside down, I seem to remember the orientation was not obvious.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
has anyone else installed tarett locking plates?
and noticed any issues?
it seems like the locking plates were designed to fit in the eccentric slot and then they drilled the bolt hole in the wrong spot.
placed in the slot the locking plate is a good fit but it needs to be raised up 6mm to slide the bolt in place.
it will likely still act as a locking plate but I'm wondering if this is actually a generic product that needs to be redrilled to fit a 993 correctly.
so has anyone drilled the hole higher or have you just used as is?
and yes, 4 years later the bolts are still too long, in my case they hit either the sway bar or heater pipes.
Every Tarett toe link install I've sen has been like that, it's a shame that they can't take a little extra care to get everything right, the bolts are a no brain change and it would only take a few minutes to get the lock right.

Any one got pics of the Rennlines?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

thanks, I just wanted to know if it had been common practice to just drill the hole higher.
and yeh, it was only 3 bucks for the correct bolts, but I figure for 108 delivered they could send the correct size in the first place. it seems to me nobody at tarett has actually put these on a 993 otherwise they'd notice the bolts are too long and the hole is in the wrong spot.
otherwise a nice product, very thick 303 stainless steel plates cut to fit the slot perfectly.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That is weird because when I did this years ago, I did not have to do any adjustments to the plates - the bolts and plates lined up well, but I do remember the locking plate fit a bit weird, they were upside down from what I would have thought the proper position would be. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of it, and no longer have that car..... does it fit with the square part to the bottom?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

yes, it fits either direction with the bolt in place and locks the link from horizontal movement, there are no functional issues. it looks better upside down(to the instructions) but works either way.
my only question was that either direction there is a 6mm gap between the locking plate and eccentric slot bottom with the bolt in place.
but if you put the plate in the eccentric slot 'right side up' without a bolt it fits like it grew there, very tight and snug(1st pic). it is possible that fitting perfectly is a total accident and the 6mm gap was intended.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Every Tarett toe link install I've sen has been like that, it's a shame that they can't take a little extra care to get everything right, the bolts are a no brain change and it would only take a few minutes to get the lock right.

Any one got pics of the Rennlines?
I had the Rennlines installed on my 993 last spring, here are a few shots of the toe links before they were installed. Notice I put Seals It boots on my links.

Looks to me like the hole in the jam plates were drilled in the center.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I recall, the only issue for the Tarrett locking plates is which side is up, and which side faced the cross-beam. They were perfectly symmetrical side-to-side.

But top-to-bottom, they were not symmetrical. Bottom had a chamfer on it, and that chamfer should be pointed to the cross-beam.

Hopefully that helps someone. I know I spent a few minutes making sure I had it right. And I didn't have any issue with the holes not aligning.

Quick Reply: Rear Toe Control Arms