Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
Thanks for the info, Jager, I already get Excellence and I'll look for Total 911 #57 over the next few weeks.
Jon Paul-- RLer & T911 author John Boggiano posted good news regarding issue #57 on the "Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER" thread.

P.S. Response to your latest P.M. to ya soon.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
help me as I gather information on my research trip south on Monday.
Thanks, JP
How was your trip?

My last solo shot of Yello...

Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
How was your trip?
Nice. I spent some time on my trip south to talk 'Speedster Conversion' with a couple old Porsche buddies and gathered some good leads on parts and such. I made a new "friend" with a white '94 Speedster by stalking him back to his office and the list of people and places I need to contact or go see is growing. Oh, and thanks to Grahampeterm, while I was away, my first article of Speedster conversion material arrived in the mail from the U.K., the coveted Speedster supplement to the owners manual which both pictorially and verbally describes the operation of the complex and quirky Speedster top/clamshell design. VERY interesting reading. So it appears my slide has begun ..

When I was looking at Jay's white 94 Speedster in his driveway with the top up, I noticed two black strap-loops protruding from under the rear top edge and now I know what they're for
Old 01-01-2010, 12:44 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

2010: The year of Jon Paul's "slippery slope" to a 993 Speedster!
Originally Posted by JPP
I spent some time to talk 'Speedster Conversion' and gathered leads on parts, and my first article of Speedster conversion material arrived.
So my slide has begun ..
New year's greetings from a cabin in the Rockies: 3 days of snowboarding & mountain sports lined up ... another fun type of slippery slope
Making the most of my holiday break from night school, & wishing RLers all the best in the new decade

Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by air993

a 1984 targa never looked soo good!
Lucas--By the same standard, this is a 1977 - curves ahead of its time ...

Old 01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Lucas--By the same standard, this is a 1977 - curves ahead of its time ...

Hm. Conversion work not as crisp. Where are these cars today? Are they mostly in L.A.?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
Conversion work not as crisp.
Agreed.

FWIW, the owner's listing of conversion part price estimates follows.
Written in 2004; consider continuing rarity/ inflation in the meantime:
Originally Posted by techweenie

Factory windshield glass/seal/frame $3300

Everything else: top, shell, side glass, visors, etc. $9700.

If you can find some of the stuff used, I'll be surprised. I put a new windshield in the yellow "993" (actually a '77) and I got repro glass for under $600. You will have to modify the doors for single-panel side glass. you will have to modify the cowl ends for the windshield frame mount. Should be able to do all that for under $3K. So a rough figure is $16K.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
Where are these cars today? Are they mostly in L.A.?
Mostly, sir. This is SoCal RLer TechWeenie's 1977 911...

Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Mostly, sir. This is SoCal RLer TechWeenie's 1977 911...

So, this car must use '89 Speedster parts, not '94 as the rear cowl fit wouldn't match, correct?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
So, this car must use '89 Speedster parts, not '94 as the rear cowl fit wouldn't match, correct?
Jon Paul-- IMHO, they're '94: no 1989 snaps on cowl/ clamshell/ humps or sides of the upraised top. IIRC, '89 & '94 windshields are interchangeable, save 1994's internal radio antenna.

A custom-made car can be designed to fit either, so RLer TechWeenie's the one to confirm.
For example, here's a 1990 (964 / 3.6L) with 1989 (G-model / 3.2L) Speedster clamshell. Doesn't resemble the smooth, snap-less edges of the '94 parts used on the yellow '77 above. More information: RLer Future's post on page 2 & Scottie's on page 11:
Originally Posted by Scottie

For you Curve...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ JPP-- ...more visuals aids of 1989 parts on a 964, from page 11:

1990 conversion that sold May 19th in the Netherlands at The Gallery. Previously for sale at Dutch seller De Groot.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^ JPP-- ...more visuals aids of 1989 parts on a 964, from page 11:
Yep, that makes sense. But what are the 2 Tenax fasteners on the lower side edges of '94 Tops for, then? Do they snap to tensioners that come out from under the clamshell when it's closed?

Also, after seeing the row of male tenax recievers running around the lower edge on the clamshell of Mark Porsches 993 Speedster, I guess one could assume that he has a custom full tonneau cover that must have tailored pockets to go over the seat tops .... Got any shots of the dashtop? I bet there's more fastener/recievers up there as well, like my '87 Cab.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
what are the 2 Tenax fasteners on the lower side edges of '94 Tops for? Do they snap to tensioners that come out from under the clamshell when it's closed?
JP-- Great eye, good question, & perfect timing: When you were recently excited about receiving the factory 964 Speedster supplement to the owner's manual, I was thrilled for you. I thought I was the only one who relished each page of my succint 12-page pamphlet so much. I savored quoting it to another RLer in the "Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER" thread:
You'll enjoy it all the more in the summer! As Porsche states in the owner's manual, I "wish you many sunny days, many miles of pleasurable driving in the open air"!
I revel in the frankness of the introduction...
Originally Posted by OEM owner's supplement

The 911 Speedster was essentially designed as a "fair weather" vehicle, especially for those who love "open-air driving". In contrast to the 911 Cabriolet, which has an adequate folding top, your 911 Speedster is fitted with a light emergency folding top. Depending on the conditions in which it is used and on the weather, certain drawbacks such as air leaks, drafts, wind noise, water ingress at the joints between the folding top and the body, or door windows, cannot be avoided.

Your 911 Speedster cannot be washed in automatic car washes and therefore must only be washed by hand.
Even better, it's arguably the best source to answer your question about the external fasteners. They secure rubber hooks that provide closing tension, reaching around & under the clamshell's edges. As page 4 & 8 of your supplement should say,
Originally Posted by OEM owner's supplement
Lowering the emergency folding top: Pull hooks on sides of folding top down and out of rear cover, slightly raising rear cover with fingertips to do so.
Raising the emergency folding top: Attach side hooks of folding top to rear cover, lifting rear cover slightly with fingertips in order to do so.
As you'll see when you operate Jay's Speedster top: as opposed to Tenax fasteners, they're simply a black metal button top.

Tenax:

964 Speedster's top has right portion of this button top; doesn't separate or snap - simply secures the hook to the other side of the fabric top:

Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jon Paul-- BTW, if you love your new 5.5" x 7.5" supplement, you'll REALLY love the 11.5" x 8" mechanic's brochure, "Porsche Service Information Technik '94 911 Speedster" (part # WKD 498 421). In addition to adding photographs to the supplement's drawings, Porsche expands its verbiage. Here's the caption of their hook photo:
Originally Posted by OEM Technik brochure
The folding top fabric is attached to the edge of the rear cover by two hooks on either side. These hooks are plastic-coated so as to protect the paintwork.
Don't want to further risk plagiary by scanning Porsche's photographs, so these are from a ready & willing model I had access to:

^^ Photography courtesy & © of Zachary Mayne..

Quick Reply: Speedster type 993 photo thread