Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Out w/ the old

In w/ the new

The upper half of a sidemount

Here's the large washers installed

Next gotcha, the oem sidemounts bolts are flanged M12x120 1.5 gr 10.9, the solid mounts need flanged M12x85-90 1.5 gr 10.9
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

For future reference, there is no dimensional difference between the '95/2 alumium castings and the RS parts that I replaced them w/. The diifference is all in the bushes.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The last gotcha w/ the solid side mounts is that the stock 4x M12x1.5x110 gr10.9 bolts are too long, maybe they would be ok if a tilt kit was also installed.

M12x1.5x85-90 is needed, turns out that the KT arm bolt is M12x1.5x90 gr10.9 and works fine.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You did all of that and not the GT2 tilt kit?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You did all of that and not the GT2 tilt kit?
As far as I can see the tilt kit would be more appropriate for much higher hp than I have.

And
I didn't like the way that the front cross member fits when used w/ a tilt kit

here's the issue w/ tilt

and this can be done w/o dropping the engine/trans
Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
As far as I can see the tilt kit would be more appropriate for much higher hp than I have.

And
I didn't like the way that the front cross member fits when used w/ a tilt kit

here's the issue w/ tilt

and this can be done w/o dropping the engine/trans
The tilt kit was the only way I could get my kinematic in the right range given that I do not have the adjustable arms (just the monoballs).

G.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
The tilt kit was the only way I could get my kinematic in the right range given that I do not have the adjustable arms (just the monoballs).

G.
hmm, KT is adjusted w/ this eccentric, I would think that even w/ monoballs you would still have that(so not enough range?), though w/ monoballs there is no KT change. That is a function of the rubber bush on the KT arm
Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

hmm, KT is adjusted w/ this eccentric, I would think that even w/ monoballs you would still have that(so not enough range?), though w/ monoballs there is no KT change. That is a function of the rubber bush on the KT arm
I should have said it better. Without the adjustable arms and with that ride height (like mine), I don't think you can get enough range with just the eccentric. The monoballs vs rubber bushings don't really make a difference in the adjustable range.

Do you have a kinematic toe gauge? If so, have you measured yours?

G.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should have said it better. Without the adjustable arms and with that ride height (like mine), I don't think you can get enough range with just the eccentric. The monoballs vs rubber bushings don't really make a difference in the adjustable range.

Do you have a kinematic toe gauge? If so, have you measured yours?

G.
yes & yes but that will be revisited during the align/corner balance that comes after I do the front. Basicly, I think that I want to minimize KT changes(but I sure would like some feedback here). Unfortunately, like many other things, that info seems to be closely held and not freely shared by those that do know. It would be interesting to see the difference between the static KT settings for stock 993 compared to what is wanted for a monoballed one.

front is getting, upgraded mono ball/camber plates, RS A arm bushings & springs to match the back.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bill,

Which kinematic toe gauge do you have? Is it the Autometrics one? That's the one I have. I've been experimenting with different settings and have finally found a sweet spot (I hope). I have it at drop dead center (by the hole). I could never get there without the tilt kit.

G.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

RS spec sport rubber bushes for the front A arms, actually better because both ends are stiffer

Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,

Which kinematic toe gauge do you have? Is it the Autometrics one? That's the one I have. I've been experimenting with different settings and have finally found a sweet spot (I hope). I have it at drop dead center (by the hole). I could never get there without the tilt kit.

G.
I'm borrowing, so haven't seen them yet. Can you explain "I have it at drop dead center (by the hole)"

As far as I can see, I want to minimize KT, w/ monoballs that's a done deal, there is no KT. W/ The RS and normal use the same KT arm/bush so all you can do is minimize it's effect.

I am certainly looking for all the feedback I can get on this subject. But it appears that the usual suspects are holding their cards close to their vests.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bill,

Here is what the tool looks like:
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...ts/ktt/ktt.jpg

You can see the hole at close to 4.5 on the measurement. Before the tilt kit, I could barely get a reading (over 8). Now I can get down to 1 on the scale.

George
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

... Can you explain "I have it at drop dead center (by the hole)"

As far as I can see, I want to minimize KT, w/ monoballs that's a done deal, there is no KT. W/ The RS and normal use the same KT arm/bush so all you can do is minimize it's effect.
Bill, remember that "setting KT" really just means "setting the rear castor." There are 2 sources of kinematic toe: (1) change in toe due to up/down suspension deflection, and (2) change in toe due to the one radially soft lower a-arm bushing. So although you're eliminating (2), you still need to set it up for (1) that's why the autometrics gauge. I.e. you *do* still have KT, but simply less of it.

... Before the tilt kit, I could barely get a reading (over 8). Now I can get down to 1 on the scale.
George- is that because you're extremely low or something?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to admit that my understanding of KT is very vague. The final step in this whole process is an full align/corner balance by someone that knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: 993SR rear suspension