Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally...The Best Way to Keep your 993 Looking Incredble

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found an MSDS sheet for an AMREP product called Spray Cleaner & Polish, but distributed by Misty. I can only assume it's the same thing.
The active products are petroleum distillates. No silicone.
I'm not in the chemical business, but is that bad? (sorry...I suppose I should know that)
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
Found an MSDS sheet for an AMREP product called Spray Cleaner & Polish, but distributed by Misty. I can only assume it's the same thing.
The active products are petroleum distillates. No silicone.
I'm not in the chemical business, but is that bad? (sorry...I suppose I should know that)
It's not great, so that is the cleaner part, it's going to strip anything off the car & put on what it uses for gloss.

Good thing it doesn't have silicone.

I would still just use a wax/sealant.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Ok let's get this figured out cuz I picked up a can on my way home tonight and might slap some on tomorrow. Just P21S'd the car about 2 months ago so I don't want to strip that obviously!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Ok let's get this figured out cuz I picked up a can on my way home tonight and might slap some on tomorrow. Just P21S'd the car about 2 months ago so I don't want to strip that obviously!
That will most definitely strip p21s, but p21s really only last a couple of months anyway.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I used Honda spray for years on my motorcycles. It works wonders on chain grease etc. Never thought to try it on a car though. I have a similar product from Kawasaki that I use on my quads......
Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Much easier than a wax....and I'm lazy

Is it bad for the paint?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use Meguiars Final Inspetion as reccommended by my body shop guy. "Pink Stuff" as we call it. Between washes I just use the "duster" and Final Inspection.
Works Great!
Phil
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fullbooker
I also use Meguiars Final Inspetion as reccommended by my body shop guy. "Pink Stuff" as we call it. Between washes I just use the "duster" and Final Inspection.
Works Great!
Phil
I second the final inspection (tan bottle). I buy it by the gallon. Use it with a micro fiber towel. Doesnt strip wax. I spray it everywhere--great for windows too.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:17 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Warning....Amrep stuff is NOT the same as Honda Pro stuff.

I went today to my local bike shop to replenish my stock of the Honda Pro Cleaner and Polish. Once I got there I noticed that next to Honda stuff, was this other brand (Amrep) that looks just like it and costs the same but has 2 more oz. than the Honda Spray. So I decided to buy 1 can of Amrep along with some of the original Honda stuff to compare.

One of the things I noticed is that the Amrep Can didn't say that it contained Carnuba Wax or UV protection like the Honda Pro did. Also the Amrep 14oz. can costs the same as the 12oz. Honda can.

I went home and decided to compare them. A used my black Shoei bike helmet as a test.

I applied the Honda Pro first. It's usual creamy and milky liquid came out of the can. As I wiped it on the surface, I could see a "waxy" substance being lay down. I could smell the strong and distinct smell of the Carnuba wax. As it dried and wiped one more time with a microfiber cloth, the deep mirror black color came out beautiful.

Then I applied the Amrep on the other half of the helmet. Immediately I could tell this is not the same stuff. The liquid that comes out of the can is transparent and starts to run off, it actually resembles and smells like Kerosene. Then I started to wipe the substance on the surface and could tell that was doing a great job at removing tar and bugs from the helmet and that it was evaporating rather quickly. I finished wiping the surface with a microfiber cloth and it came out clean and with plenty of shine, but nothing compared to the Honda Pro stuff side of the helmet.

Conclusion....this IS NOT THE SAME stuff. Also, the store carries both and when asked they didn't say that the Amrep brand was replacing the Honda Pro. They just said that they carry both and had plenty of both in stock.

Curiously, the Amrep stuff is brewed and made right here in Marietta, Georgia by AMREP, Inc. 1-800-241-7766. I'll give them a call on Monday and inquire about the "similar" look of their can with teh Honda Pro Can.

The Honda Pro has been around for a long time and it's a well known leader in the industry. I wonder if they use AMREP formula and enhance it with Carnuba Wax, etc, or AMREP is just copying Honda Pro Can packaging hoping to get some of the market share from the uninformed buyer?

So, I still stand my Honda Pro recommendation, but I wouldn't use the Amrep stuff on my car, and if I do, would be just to remove heavier tar, bugs followed by a healthy covering of wax.

Here are some pictures of both cans side by side. Make sure to get the Honda Pro one if you want the Carnuba Wax.

Amrep is on the left, Honda Pro on the right.
Attached Images    
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I got the one on the left so I might as well take it back!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

The plot thickens...

It seems that some of the ingredients of the original Honda Pro formula has been banned in several states (17 of them). On those states, the Amrep brand alone is sold. Obviously Georgia is not one of those states as they selll the Honda Pro side by side with the Amrep. Maybe was the UV protectant? I can's see why they had to take the Carnuba Wax out as well.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/14298-post6.html
Old 02-23-2008, 07:10 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I typically only use this to remove road grime, etc on the lower part of the car. And its best use is wheels. I typically won't use it on larger portions of the car. I would use a spray detailer/wax for that or just plain hand wax it.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very confusing:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Product...5-P011M-NXTGEN
Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Leander
"Honda was the sole distributor of the product but held only the patent for the scent. The only difference between the Next Dimension product and the Honda Product is the that the lemon scent has been removed. "

Yeah right...lemon scent removed...that just BS. First of all, it isn't lemon scent, smells like any Carnuba wax should smell. It's all spelled out clearly on the label.

So..basically:
Honda = Petrolium destilates+Carnuba+UV protectant
Amrep = Petrolium destilates

The more I read about this, the more it looks like Honda and Amrep got into some sort of royalty dispute. Amrep took distribution from Honda and gave it to Next Dimension, and Honda didn't allow Next Dimension to use their carnuba enhanced formula.

Once thing is for sure...I'm going back tomorrow and get the rest of the Honda product that was left at the store just in case the supply dries out.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Let's make this even more complicated. I have all Griott supplies and their polisher. I was having a terrible time getting a shine on my wife's car when we were trying to sell it. I have no idea what I had put on it. WHen I spoke with Griott they told me that many other products do not work with theirs and I needed to "strip" the entire car --- $32/bottle. Shined up fine then. If I can now throw away my polisher and all other supplies, great but I also don't want to put something on the interferes with Griott's overpriced "magical products : - )

Quick Reply: Finally...The Best Way to Keep your 993 Looking Incredble