993 Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reposting my old post from an earlier similar thread:

Quirky is a car that you can take 4 hours or more to change spark plugs, with innumerable socket extensions, with a difficulty level that reaches a point where some people just give up on the 12th plug while you can remove both front entire headlight assembly without tools in less than 45 seconds.

Im sure the designer who came up with the headlight mechanism has been fired.

I will give Porsche this though, it only took less than 30 years to move the positive terminal of the battery more than 3/8 inch away from the body. The concept of turning the battery 180 degrees was a monumentally huge engineering breakthrough, I am sure other auto manufacturers were stunned at the technology leap.

And those window switches. Man they are on top of it! The old ones with the contacts that broke off the back all the time- they fixed that design in just over 10 years! Maybe they will fix the rocking point where they break by 2010. Although it would probably ential actually talking to Bosch.

The 8 way power seat switches, now thats something they can get to later, they are just SO durable, maybe after they tackle the enormous engineering task of designing a superceding cockpit floorboard/footboard part.

And the air conditioning, another lightning fast upgrade—It only took them just under 30 years to get a solution that cools the cockpit down better that a penguin blowing through a straw. Stunningly fast revision.

As noted in the avatar, the offset mirrors allows air cooled cars to be parked closer together
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Not all 911 have offset mirrors, only those that have the triangle on the window (993 and older). The offset is so you have a clear view of the mirrors.

On 996's and 997's, they are no longer offset as their windows don't have the triangular piece up front.
ah..he did say 911's
Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
rampfar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't use as a daily driver and have other American cars.....ignition on left side of wheel....
Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
ah..he did say 911's
LOL...you are right!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't find mine to be underpowered, and the gear ratios are just right.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Ignition on the left hand side of the wheel pays tribute to the classic days of Porsche's early racing efforts, where the car races often started with the engines off. The practical idea behind this was, as the left hand was used to start the car, the right could be used to put the car in gear, thus a quicker and more efficient take-off. Personally, I've grown to realize this is no quirk, but a feature I'd like to see in all cars. It's much better to be able to turn the car off and take my car keys out of the ignition with my left hand while at the same time my right hand is free to reach for packages/papers/stuff on my passenger seat.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rampfar
If you don't use as a daily driver and have other American cars.....ignition on left side of wheel....
The original idea of having it there was so you could put the car in gear and crank the car at the same time during the start of a race. This was back in the days that you had to run to the car, get in and start the car.

Now, thanks to the stupid immobilizer, we would be at least a lap down.... we would be standing at the starting grid pressing the remote 2 or 3 times and turning the key several times like a mad man trying to get the car to start!
The following users liked this post:
JRB (02-23-2023)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Man, you guys are funny! Like little School girls asking if you look "fat".

The turning circle is not the best, but much better then my 2 other AWD cars. While the trans throw is long, it is precise & butter. Very easy car to heal/toe. I like the driving position.

This is by far the best car I have ever owned! Also seams to be the least quirky of any "sports" car (hint RUN AWAY FROM AUDI).

Although, I will admit the immobilizer is a PITA, I still have a key that isn't programed, now that is just DUMB!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:22 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993

Now, thanks to the stupid immobilizer...:

What immobilizer?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gotta love the quirks

Most of the quirks are endearing, especially if you've gotten familiar with them by a progression from old VW Beetles, to 356s, to 911s.

However, what is the deal with having to remove the rocker panel to change the oil? Now that isn't a quirk, it's an aggravation.....

Fairview.

Last edited by Jeff Ward; 01-25-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
What immobilizer?

+1

Andreas
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We all have a car that once sold for 70k that we feel compelled to throw thousands more into to make "perfect"!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

My 993 likes to fight with me in general. I change the decklid damper and find out that the insulation has sagged down so I can't push the rear pin out, on both sides.
I change the spark plugs, try to remove the right muffler and find out that the clamping band is from Fabtech, which is standard. So I need a 1/2" long socket, I have one but it's a 1/4drive and the socket is 1/16th too short. I can't use a wrench because no room to turn.
I finally change the upper row plugs just to find out that the rubber insert in the plug socket likes the plug so much that the socket won't come out anymore. More modification.
I read about the dirt in the SAI, so I take it off, just to find out that it's shiny clean inside.
The backrest adjustment **** stopped working, I try to take the seat out and find out that it contributes to about 50% of the total weight of the car.
I install a new suspension, want to take the control arms out for the PU bushings and the biggest allen wrench I have is too small and I have lot's of tools.
It's also way too easy to scratch up the paint out back when working on the car from the side. But that a$$ just looks good.
I start the engine and listen to it coming to life, absolutely awesome and all the reason why I put up with the rest.
Tonight I'll do the left side plugs and I'm sure the car has already thought about some stuff to fake me out.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I install a new suspension, want to take the control arms out for the PU bushings and the biggest allen wrench I have is too small and I have lot's of tools.
Bet you were looking for that 12mm

Andreas
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM
face-ache
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Porsche spent more time fixing and refining all these quirks, they would have had less time to spend on the body design, may not have looked nearly as good.. I'll take the trade off!!

Quick Reply: 993 Quirks